PDA

View Full Version : Training your vertical... Nice!!!

mickey
08-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Greetings,

Check this out!!

http://www.jumpusa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=SQUATFLEX

After you have read the page, Click for more info. The photo that accompanies the article offers DIY incentives.

Only because mickey loves y'all,

mickey

Vash
08-18-2009, 02:13 PM
God ******, someone puts a rubber band on a dolley and invents the hack squat?!?!

**** I need to invent something.

mickey
08-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Greetings,

I got a look at their manual. They are actually instructing the user to use on leg at the advanced levels in order to be able to dunk.

https://www.jumpusa.com/mm5/manualpdf/Squat_Flex.pdf

I would do one leg on a Nautilus type leg press machine, but not on a squatflex.

mickey

Lucas
08-21-2009, 01:19 PM
thats pretty cool, and something you can re-create pretty easily at home.

iron_leg_dave
08-25-2009, 06:52 AM
P90X Plyometrics... all you need.

Frost
08-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Joel Jamieson site 8weeksout.com has a free vertical jump program all you have to do is sign up for his forum. Its also the best site for fight conditioning i have every seen

Vash
08-25-2009, 08:10 AM
P90X Plyometrics... all you need.

The fail . . . dear God, the fail . . .

David Jamieson
08-25-2009, 08:50 AM
The fail . . . dear God, the fail . . .

You'd rather pay 300$ for that piece of crap they advertise?

And have you done the plyometric routine from P90x?
I have, it's not bad.

It's better than using that machine that's for sure.

anyway, there's plenty of ways to get your vertical up and plyo training is huge, but for strength, you don't need a platform with a rubber band, just do squats, raises, and other leg work with a heavy focus on plyo.

so many devices are just crap.

Vash
08-25-2009, 10:09 AM
You'd rather pay 300$ for that piece of crap they advertise?

And have you done the plyometric routine from P90x?
I have, it's not bad.

It's better than using that machine that's for sure.

anyway, there's plenty of ways to get your vertical up and plyo training is huge, but for strength, you don't need a platform with a rubber band, just do squats, raises, and other leg work with a heavy focus on plyo.

so many devices are just crap.

Hardly. There's little which can't be replicated with low-price bands, weights, and boxes.

And I've done the plyo course; I procured the p90x program, for the hefty cost of free. I was . . . unimpressed. It's certainly good for average, untrained individuals, or those looking to get back into it after a long layoff. Not for me.

The book Frost mentioned, that's a keeper.

David Jamieson
08-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Hardly. There's little which can't be replicated with low-price bands, weights, and boxes.

And I've done the plyo course; I procured the p90x program, for the hefty cost of free. I was . . . unimpressed. It's certainly good for average, untrained individuals, or those looking to get back into it after a long layoff. Not for me.

The book Frost mentioned, that's a keeper.

yeah it's good jump training.

don't bag p90x, it's actually more than average people can do by far. lol So you have a steady training program for more than a year or two, then yeah, P90x won't do much good, but if you are a rank newb, P90x will guaranteed be too hard for you.

It is a high intermediate to advanced maintenance program and yeah, you can jerry rig whatever you want for a lot cheaper than buying a cutoff footstool with rubberbands on it for 300$ !!! lol that floored me, it had me think..."how stupid would someone have to be to buy that?" lol

mickey
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Greetings,

I agree that the price is a bit much. That is why I offered the do it yourself (DIY) suggestion.

This approach is not new. The jump stretch people have had their platform and resistance bands for a long time now and they did talk about increasing the vertical jump with it. They are not too good with getting their product out their to those who never heard of them. I just found out about the jump stretch people this year and they have been around over a decade.

mickey

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
while im not a huge fan of westside in general, they have been putting bands on their bars for squats, bench, and deads for years, as well as incorporating dynamic and speed training into their regimen. louie simmons insists that this should translate into a higher vertical jump, or his guys are wasting their time. i cant remember the exact numbers, but his guys have some very impressive verticals. especially for their size. as does pretty much any oly lifter. i think these methods would work well for those seeking to increase their vertical because the progression possibility is unlimited. i dont know how long it would take to outgrow that thing linked in this thread, but i can't imagine it would have a shelf life of more than a few months for a fairly untrained individual. i dont use bands myself, but i dont think they are necessarily an unwise approach to training . . . i would just recommend using them wisely.