PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shaolin or Master Kwong Wing Lam vs. Grandmaster Yang Jwing Ming--the same?

LaterthanNever
08-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I've noticed that both gentleman teach Northern Shaolin sets. By any chance..can anyone comment on whether or not there is any overlap or similarity between the sets?

Thank you.

LTN

NorthernShaolin
08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Both teach what is term as a northern style but the two styles are different and there is no overlap in their sets, except for Tan T'ui.

Crushing Step
08-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Agreed. Northern Shaolin is kind of an all encompassing term, if I remember right each of these men also has an explanation, style, and lineage behind that term that are completely different.

GeneChing
08-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I studied under Wing Lam and know Dr. Yang Jwing Ming well (in fact, I was scheduled to go up to his retreat center this weekend, but due to an unfortunate turn of events, I had to cancel). Their lineages are quite different. Wing Lam was born in Guangdong and raised in Hong Kong. He traces his Shaolin to Gu Ruzhang (Ku Yu Cheong). Dr. Yang is from Taiwan traces his Shaolin to Cheng Gin Gsa - it's actually Shaolin White Crane.

It's true that both masters practice Tan Tui (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12377) but their versions are quite different. Many northern style practitioners practice some version of Tan Tui.

GLW
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Gene is not exactly right there. Yang's White Crane teacher was named Cheng.

However, his Long Fist teacher was Li Mao Ching. Li was a student of Han Ching Tan (who attended the Nanjing Central Guoshu School). A lot of the Long Fist in Taiwan is connected to this group as well as specifically to Han Ching Tan.

GeneChing
08-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Dr. Yang's Shaolin White Crane master was Cheng. I just answered the Shaolin part. But GLW is right about Li, which is where the Northern lineage derives.

David Jamieson
08-24-2009, 10:36 AM
What is the longfist style said to be North Shaolin and what is the curriculum like set wise?

I've been introduced to others as well who practice northern longfist that is not Ku Yu Cheong's (gu ru zhang's) line, but I've never come to understand what the material for these were whereas with the bak sil lum of KYC it's fairly clear what is in the curriculum.

the lin bo is different in that yjm book and the tan tui are different as well.