PDA

View Full Version : wing tzun and?

nabakatsu
08-21-2009, 04:59 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on a style that could compliment my wing tzun training? I'm quite satisfied with my wing tzun class, I just want to learn more, there are so many martial arts that I'm interested in.. Baguazhang, Choy lee fut, bak mei, taiji, bajiquan, southern praying mantis style.. if anyone has any ideas or thoughts please feel free to share! thanks in advance!

Phil Redmond
08-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on a style that could compliment my wing tzun training? I'm quite satisfied with my wing tzun class, I just want to learn more, there are so many martial arts that I'm interested in.. Baguazhang, Choy lee fut, bak mei, taiji, bajiquan, southern praying mantis style.. if anyone has any ideas or thoughts please feel free to share! thanks in advance!
Learn some wrestling, Judo, or Jujitsu to compliment you stand up

nabakatsu
08-21-2009, 05:06 AM
I appreciate the advice, but I'm not too interested in grappling at the moment, figured if I felt the inclination down the road i'd traverse it.

Frost
08-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Not a wing chun guy but Phils suggestion makes sense, grappling arts are a good companion to striking styles but ultimatly life is short, try as many arts as you like, if another stand up art intetrests you go for it.

couch
08-21-2009, 09:30 AM
What I find funny is that people want to do something other than what they're doing in their free time.

If I had some extra time, I'd be doing my chosen martial MORE. Either that, or something completely complimentary to the fight game - and like Phil said: BJJ, Judo, Wrestling.

You can only get really good at your chosen martial art by putting in a lot of brain time and mat time.

Best,
K

nabakatsu
08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Going to give a Gin Foon Mark SPM class near me a shot in a month or two when I get the cash.
Curious to know if anyone knows of any martial arts that focus mainly on tripping and other exploits of footwork, thanks much!

m1k3
08-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Going to give a Gin Foon Mark SPM class near me a shot in a month or two when I get the cash.
Curious to know if anyone knows of any martial arts that focus mainly on tripping and other exploits of footwork, thanks much!

Yep, Judo. Judo is all about footwork and tripping and balance.

AdrianK
08-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Gin Foon Mark is a one of the most prominent people in SPM. If you have the opportunity to train with him, I would say give it your all. Don't take it lightly. Its very rare to find a teacher like him.

As for martial arts that have to do with tripping and sweeps, Its been said before here. Judo is a big one. You can sometimes find it extremely cheap at local colleges or clubs, too.

Sihing73
08-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Hello,

My personal preference is to incorporate the FMA's into my Wing Chun. I find that the footwork and some of the hand patterns fit right into the Wing Chun. Plus, if you get involved in Kuntau and Silat you can get exposed to Dumog which would help the ground game.

Lee Chiang Po
08-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Japanese Jujitsu is a perfect compliment to your Wing Chun. It has lots of foot sweeps, throws, wrist locks and arm bars to give you quite an edge. It also has lots of stand up applications as to where the BJJ is mostly on the floor stuff.

anerlich
08-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Choy Li Fut and Wing Chun are historical enemies, but the two styles are highly complementary for the standup striking game.

To become a complete fighter you need to learn about grappling, even if your oain concern is to counter those techniques, stay on your feet and keep striking. Judo, BJJ, JJJ, Sambo, wrestling, ...

I do sort of agree with the guy that said you might be better investing more time in your WC. I think most would advise not learning a second art until you have a good understanding of the basics of your first. The way many people live these days, with travel, etc. sometimes you have to take whatever you can get.

grasshopper 2.0
08-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Maybe inquire about tripping/sweeps/locks in wing tzun class?

AdrianK
08-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Might as well inquire about wing chun grappling too. :rolleyes:

Its not that there aren't methods, its just that you can learn some pretty effective methods elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I think its fantastic to get the perspective of as many legitimate trainers as possible.

grasshopper 2.0
08-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Haha I knew that would be the response when I sent that. It's a start and does that mean u will learn every art there is in addition to your own wck? Maybe the instructor has a background in jiu jitsu, wrestling, etc. Don't know until u ask!

Why not extend that to learn karate to defend against a reverse punch? And then clf against a swinging punch, a street fighter against someone who doesn't know anything, a tkd guy against a spinning roundhouse, etc etc...

AdrianK
08-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Haha I knew that would be the response when I sent that. It's a start and does that mean u will learn every art there is in addition to your own wck? Maybe the instructor has a background in jiu jitsu, wrestling, etc. Don't know until u ask!

Why not extend that to learn karate to defend against a reverse punch? And then clf against a swinging punch, a street fighter against someone who doesn't know anything, a tkd guy against a spinning roundhouse, etc etc...

As a martial artist - You should always strive to learn as much as you can. Theres an extremely massive amount to martial arts as a whole, too much for me to name here. - Does that mean you should learn every art there is? No. It means making informed decisions and working with trainers that can help you grow. If you're great at striking and decent at grappling, then you still train your striking at your striking school, and find a teacher who can teach you grappling to accelerate your progress. It's a very simple concept. Staying with only one teacher, or staying with someone out of loyalty is an outdated, illogical concept for learning and understanding martial arts.

As for extending it to learning karate to defend against a reverse punch and all ther other stuff? You're spouting nonsense. :rolleyes: - There are proven, well known methods in other arts that you should look into. You can learn the trips and sweeps and joint locks and whatnot and how much you learn about them is really all about the instructor - But given our knowledge about the poster and his teacher, in general, a WC instructor won't be able to teach you these things as in-depth as a Judo teacher, or an Aikido teacher, or a Chin Na teacher.

Thats not to say there aren't WC teachers who don't have an extremely deep understanding of these things.

But you don't go to a shooting range to learn how to knife fight, you don't go to a kali or escrima class to learn how to shoot - Thats not to say there aren't knowledgable people who can teach you, but the best way is usually to find a teacher who specializes in what you want to learn.

anerlich
08-23-2009, 10:34 PM
It's a start and does that mean u will learn every art there is in addition to your own wck? Maybe the instructor has a background in jiu jitsu, wrestling, etc. Don't know until u ask!

The OP asked about learning another art.

Presumably if his W[CTZ] instructor was qualified to teach another art or intro its elements in class he would, unless he regarded it as not worthwhile or counterproductive.

A percentage teachers prefer to teach their separate arts separately, rather than mix them in. My BJJ instructor teaches MT, BJJ and MMA, but has a separate class for each. The MMA has elements of the other two, but really combining them is different enough from each on its own to warrant a separate class.

I have been teaching WC for a long time and BJJ for a while too (as a purple belt, I'm expected to take some classes), but I'd never try to mix the two arts in the one class.