PDA

View Full Version : Are the Old Eight Palms the Same in all Bagua?

Tao Of The Fist
08-23-2009, 05:11 PM
I just curious : Are the old eight palms form the same in all styles of bagua? If they aren't what are the differences (in the forms, not the styles)? I study Jiang Rong Qiao's bagua , and I noticed that Liang style has an old eight, Cheng has an old eight, and Yin has an old eight, but I haven't seen all of them to know whether they all have the same set.

stma
08-24-2009, 06:41 AM
Everybody's are different.

SPJ
08-25-2009, 06:56 AM
the old 8 palm or lao ba zhang

the 8 mother palm or ba mu zhang

the fixed posture 8 palms or di shi ba zhang

they are common for the most part with some variations.

--

:cool:

cerebus
08-25-2009, 02:34 PM
the old 8 palm or lao ba zhang

the 8 mother palm or ba mu zhang

the fixed posture 8 palms or di shi ba zhang

they are common for the most part with some variations.

--

:cool:

Well... the Ding Shyr Ba Zhang (or 8 static positions held while walking the circle) are different from the Lau Ba Zhang (8 palm changes while walking the circle), at least in Liang Zhen Pu Bagua.

mawali
08-26-2009, 06:28 AM
One of my old teachers said that they were only 1 palm but towards the end of Qing many took the 8 (ba) part literally and then people started to add 7 more actual representations when in actuality the 1 (single palm) had many permutations. Again, my understanding based on what I thought I heard and understood!
This is what I see:
a. Single palm is the root, (whether left ot right)
b. I notice that every style has its own 8 palm change but all have a root single change
c. Although Yin style has its 8 palms it still relies on Shaolin root basics to give full understanding so it means that the others (non Yin style /changes) may be more experienced therefore needing less elementary changes. Not so today BUT...
d. Modern baquazhang (baquaquan!) definately needs more basic/elementary dynamics to learning because so many lack the concepts to visualize and apply what we call real baquazhang.
e. Just like liuhebafa does not employ 6 combinations/8 methods as literal shapes but concepts and principles relating to basic integration and progression of techniques/training.