PDA

View Full Version : Any Pin Sun Wing Chun Practioners Here?

HumbleWCGuy
08-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I am curious as to what your family's legend is concerning the origin of Pin Sun Wing Chun. If you wish to share with me privately please feel free to do so.

LSWCTN1
08-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I am curious as to what your family's legend is concerning the origin of Pin Sun Wing Chun. If you wish to share with me privately please feel free to do so.

its from Gulao village, and started when Leung Jan retired from Foshan to his native home. we have quite a bit in the UK - there was a nice seminar on Saturday from some practitioners in London (although the Pin Sun in the UK is iterwined with Yip Mans wck too)

HumbleWCGuy
08-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Although we don't practice Pin Sun per say, my family's legend says that the side body actually started with Chan Wah Soon. Chan who was already a competent martial artist in his own right was initially denied access to WC study. He spied on the WC class to learn. Aware of this spying, the class began practicing it sideways and Chan adapted this. After defeating several top WC students in a tournament with his side body Chan was admitted as a student. Chan taught his modified WC while he learned front body.

LSWCTN1
08-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Although we don't practice Pin Sun per say, my family's legend says that the side body actually started with Chan Wah Soon. Chan who was already a competent martial artist in his own right was initially denied access to WC study. He spied on the WC class to learn. Aware of this spying, the class began practicing it sideways and Chan adapted this. After defeating several top WC students in a tournament with his side body Chan was admitted as a student. Chan taught his modified WC while he learned front body.

its a similar story to that which is told about 'Big Mountain' Sui - a teacher of Chu Chong Man. i think it has been said before that YKS wck looks like Pin Sun in combat?

could all be true, who knows - i wasnt there :D

Jim Roselando
08-24-2009, 05:55 AM
Check out:

www.apricotforesthall.com

We share a lot of our families Kulo/Pin Sun info on our site!

Enjoy!

:)

HumbleWCGuy
08-25-2009, 03:00 AM
its a similar story to that which is told about 'Big Mountain' Sui - a teacher of Chu Chong Man. i think it has been said before that YKS wck looks like Pin Sun in combat?

could all be true, who knows - i wasnt there :D

It is hard to say. All of these are fun and interesting though.

LSWCTN1
08-25-2009, 04:50 AM
It is hard to say. All of these are fun and interesting though.

i agree, i am actually very surprised that more people arent interested in the history/development of wck. for me wck is a hobby that i really enjoy, which means that i enjoy all facets of it, including the history. there are so many wck practitioners out there that dont have much interest in the history - bit of a shame really...

Phil Redmond
08-25-2009, 05:05 AM
Small world, this is similar to the story told in Traditional Wing Chun as well.

HumbleWCGuy
08-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Redmond,
Please share your legend.

HumbleWCGuy
08-25-2009, 05:55 AM
This is all very interesting my family system of Wing Chun is very contemporary as the family that brought it to the U.S. obviously added and dropped elements to make it their own. I guess that I am interested in seeing how closely related we are to other branches in terms of techniques, practice, and legends. Although I have been practicing for over 20 years, I have only recently gotten the itch to do this kind of research.

Yoshiyahu
08-25-2009, 07:00 AM
This is all very interesting my family system of Wing Chun is very contemporary as the family that brought it to the U.S. obviously added and dropped elements to make it their own. I guess that I am interested in seeing how closely related we are to other branches in terms of techniques, practice, and legends. Although I have been practicing for over 20 years, I have only recently gotten the itch to do this kind of research.

What kind of Itch...To see how close to original we are in the west?

Also have you met anyone who practices Pin Sun Wing Chun. Have you seen any of the classes.

HumbleWCGuy
08-25-2009, 12:22 PM
I am only just now getting an itch to compare my WC to other forms of it for educational purposes. I know that my lineage is a good bit different from others.

My lineage has been drastically altered very little chi sao (no rolling hands at all); everything practiced out of movement, emphasis on practical weapons training, very different forms with the exception of su lim itao; tremendous emphasis on footwork. Some would call our footwork "weapons footwork." At least these are my impressions without being exposed to much WC from other lineages.

I know of no one who practices pin sun. I am just very curious to see how closely related my side body is to theirs.

Yoshiyahu
08-26-2009, 07:41 AM
I am only just now getting an itch to compare my WC to other forms of it for educational purposes. I know that my lineage is a good bit different from others.

My lineage has been drastically altered very little chi sao (no rolling hands at all); everything practiced out of movement, emphasis on practical weapons training, very different forms with the exception of su lim itao; tremendous emphasis on footwork. Some would call our footwork "weapons footwork." At least these are my impressions without being exposed to much WC from other lineages.

I know of no one who practices pin sun. I am just very curious to see how closely related my side body is to theirs.

Wow your WC reminds me a little of Jeet Kune Do...If you only do dan chi sau and no two arm chi sau...

Do you atleast spar regularly.

My lineage main footwork is designed for power generation with in inch power distance. in other words inclose fighting. But you can modify the foot work for mid range as well.

HumbleWCGuy
08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow your WC reminds me a little of Jeet Kune Do...If you only do dan chi sau and no two arm chi sau...

Do you at least spar regularly.

My lineage main footwork is designed for power generation with in inch power distance. in other words inclose fighting. But you can modify the foot work for mid range as well.

Double Chi Sao does not require rolling hands. I only said that we do not use the rolling hands.

I am not really sure what you mean by, "Do you at least spar regularly." If the implication is that I might have difficulty in dealing with other WC fighters due to lack of chi sao, you would be mistaken. You would also be mistaken if, if you think that lack of chi sao would hamper my ability to pull off traps in real time. I would argue that it is just the opposite. What we do instead of chi sao is practice traps in real time against live opponents constantly which teaches the necessary footwork and balance necessary to be a successful trapper.

Bottom line... There is more than one way to skin a cat.