PDA

View Full Version : Beware Mike Bonin who makes supposed Custom Made Weapons

Boston Bagua
08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
FYI,

Mike Bonin has taken money from me and not delivered a custom made purpleheart body conditioning hammer.

This jacka s s took $50.00 from me on 06/22/2009 and told me that it would be 4-6 weeks until I have seen the product. It is the end of August and no product sent. He will not respond to emails sent.

I filed a paypal complaint at the beginning of August and he finally responded saying that he would not finish the work until I ended the claim. I ended it thinking I would get my product.

No such luck from this thief.

It seems to my ignorance that once I close a paypal claim I cannot reopen it and this thief has walked away and taken my hard earned money.

I just wanted EVERYONE to know what a scumbag this person is.

I received no updates as to the status of the product. I had to file a paypal complaint to get him to tell to be patient. Wonderful communication sklills and business practices from this man who claims to be a martial arts teacher.

Sorry but over 2 months to wait for a little piece of wood is nuts.

He seems to be totally unable to comprehend my being upset that its been 8 weeks and no product, no refund and no explanation.

I have no recourse but to inform EVERYONE to never purchase anything from this loser.

his ebay account is here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270336046744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT).

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I hate when **** like this happens !
It so easy just to resolve things by talking, I mean, if was gonna be delayed, just say so, this "ignore" crap AFTER being paid sucks ass and just comes back to bite you on the ass.
Sad.

TenTigers
08-24-2009, 09:53 AM
http://uechiryu-karate.com/products.htm

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2009, 10:07 AM
So what's the point of that hammer? I mean, won't a piece of wood do the same thing?
Won't that groove just make noise?
Isn't there something better out there?

taai gihk yahn
08-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Christ Dale, it's a piece of fu(king wood w/a piece of string though one end - send me $20 I'll make one for ya in 2 days! :p

seriously though, guy sounds like a scummer to treat a paying customer this way; you might want to contact Paypal and talk to a supervisor about the situation, he/she may be able to bend the rules for you...

GeneChing
08-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Purpleheart is a toxic wood. It can cause severe skin reactions and the dust can cause nausea. It's not the sort of wood you want to be banging on your body.

What's more, it's been over-harvested and is under threat of extinction.

I used to work with the stuff when I made swords. We used it as a handle wood. It is extremely beautiful and hard. But we had to glove up and wear a dust mask when working with it, then wash thoroughly after and clean up. The dust is really nasty. We stopped using it after Rainforest Action Network published its guide to alternative woods. Honestly, it was too much work cleaning up after for what we were charging for it.

TenTigers
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
it's more than just a stick. It has slits or spacers cut into it so it gives a bit and then clacks, making it vibrate. Sort of like a wire beater, only out of wood-gives a diiferent feel. It is not completely square, so that if you hold it one way, it's a bit wider and disperses the strike a bit more than the narrower side. The corners are rounded off, so you can even hit with them as well.
Mine I believe is mad out of maple. Check the link I posted. I think they are still available.

Skip J.
08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Purpleheart is a toxic wood. It can cause severe skin reactions and the dust can cause nausea. It's not the sort of wood you want to be banging on your body.

What's more, it's been over-harvested and is under threat of extinction.

I used to work with the stuff when I made swords. We used it as a handle wood. It is extremely beautiful and hard. But we had to glove up and wear a dust mask when working with it, then wash thoroughly after and clean up. The dust is really nasty. We stopped using it after Rainforest Action Network published its guide to alternative woods. Honestly, it was too much work cleaning up after for what we were charging for it.

As a woodworker I bought a wooden plane kit made out of PH, never did finish assembling it... and frankly, $50.00 won't buy very much PH..... I'm amazed you can buy anything made and shipped out of PH for that price... and did I mention it was "Barney" colored????

GeneChing
08-24-2009, 01:56 PM
That's a good point. It's an expensive wood. Hard to find a thick solid chunk.

Lucas
08-24-2009, 02:12 PM
i spent a full week (during vacation time) with a friend to turn a 12'x2'x4" piece of purple heart into 2 bokken, and a set of tonfa, with some left over material.

We did not use any power tools, some vices, a few saws, a couple chisel sets, a couple types of plainers and LOTS of sandpaper. Lots of sweat, lots of chisel sharpening, a couple dulled saws, and some minor frustrations, eventually got us some very nice looking products.

The end result? A bokken I can kill with :D (it has a slight 'edge' ot it, that would be perfect for breaking bones)

Lucas
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
can you open a new complaint against the seller?

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2009, 04:15 AM
oh c'mon Gene - look who we're talking about here...I'm sure he knows this and I bet it's just the next step towards Dale becoming invulnerable to, well, everything (I understand he's going to start working on building up an immunity to iocane powder next...)

sanjuro_ronin
08-25-2009, 05:37 AM
oh c'mon Gene - look who we're talking about here...I'm sure he knows this and I bet it's just the next step towards Dale becoming invulnerable to, well, everything (I understand he's going to start working on building up an immunity to iocane powder next...)

LOL !!!

too true !

sanjuro_ronin
08-25-2009, 05:38 AM
I've contemplated getting one of those things but to be truthful, I don't see any advantage to them as opposed to just beating myself with a stick.
:p

Boston Bagua
08-25-2009, 07:56 AM
I paid this man through paypal not through ebay.

Paypal is telling me that you closed the dispute there is nothing I can do.

This man is a thief.

Im contacting the USPS and other fed agencies as he took my money over the internet and I think that is wire fraud.

Anyone know who to contact other than the idiots at Paypal who were not helpful at all.

Scott R. Brown
08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
(I understand he's going to start working on building up an immunity to iocane powder next...)

Oh come on....

That is totally INCONCEIVABLE!!!!

Lucas
08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I paid this man through paypal not through ebay.

Paypal is telling me that you closed the dispute there is nothing I can do.

This man is a thief.

Im contacting the USPS and other fed agencies as he took my money over the internet and I think that is wire fraud.

Anyone know who to contact other than the idiots at Paypal who were not helpful at all.

have you contacted your bank? you may be able to file a dispute that way. i havnt looked into that particular situation to find out the technicalities of dispute ability though but I would certainly persue that avenue. It may be covered under Regulation E; Electronic Fraud. Thats assuming you used paypal to pul via your debit or account number. Not sure if you used a paypal balance.

B-Rad
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Could also contact the Better Business Bureau

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Oh come on....

That is totally INCONCEIVABLE!!!!

that word chou keep using: I do not-a think it means a-what chou think it means...

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2009, 11:09 AM
how about e-bay? can they suspend his account?

Boston Bagua
08-25-2009, 12:31 PM
being that i did this outside of ebay they have nothing to do with it.

Its rather maddening.

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
being that i did this outside of ebay they have nothing to do with it.

Its rather maddening.

well, then I guess we have no other choice than to organize a Kung Fu Forum Beat Down!!! (well, that is, metaphorically speaking, of course...:o )

sanjuro_ronin
08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
If I was in to revenge I would suggest that you order this hammer from someone else and when you get it, go over to this individuals house and set it on fire, as he comes out screaming in his underwear, beat him about the body with it, all the while yelling, "I got your wood right here mother****er !!!".
Of course I am not about the revenge so I will just say to allow karma to works its magic.

Or you can find his wife and lose 10lbs porking her in the ass but hey, one must be in tune with the Tao....

Lucas
08-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Reg. E Overview (http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/205/205.html)

I spoke with a collegue and under the circumstances, as long as the transaction is pulling from your checking account as a POS (point of sale) you can file an EFT (electronic funds transfer) dispute, because you tried to resolve the issue but the seller is not responding, you may have some luck. Of course essentially this will make it so the bank will be footing the bill as they likely wont collect from the seller. Banks usually take the loss on these disputes.

Lee Chiang Po
08-25-2009, 07:02 PM
You are going to feel awfully small when the nice gentleman sends your product and it is well to your liking. If not, then consider that you just paid 50 bucks for a very good lesson. Even paypal does not insure against fraud. If you don't know him personally, don't give him money. Once they recieve your bucks they do not feel the same urgency as you might, and will take their ever loving time. It seems that others want one of his products and he might have to produce in order to recieve payment. That puts yours on hold since you have already paid for it.

Scott R. Brown
08-26-2009, 12:48 AM
that word chou keep using: I do not-a think it means a-what chou think it means...

That because you are not a Sicilian!

Boston Bagua
08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
filed a fraud complaint with my bank.

They are sending out an affidavit to me.

Will get the ball rolling.

Paypal will have to reopen the case when the bank steps in.

Still no word from the thief.

Thanks for the support brothers.