PDA

View Full Version : Gear thread

TenTigers
08-24-2009, 09:44 AM
ok, I am looking to start stocking and marketing gear for my students.
I want them to be able to spar in sanda, and san-shou events.
What gear would I need to stock?
would I need different gear for each event? Studnets cannot afford to have separate headgear for training, sanda, anshou, open tourneys, etc
I notice that some wear the headgear with the catcher's mask, others look like boxer's headgear-cheekpads and chin, but nose seems still vulnerable.
I was looking at Century's premier headgear, training gloves, shinguards. They are well made and will put our logos on them. Only, I was wndering if the headgear offered suitable protection for the face.

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Use gear that is as close as possible to the gear they will be competing with.
:p

TenTigers
08-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I think that was my original question...:p

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Doesn't Sanda and san-shou have an "official website" or crap like that?
What about MartialArtsMart.com, I hear they have some stuff...;)

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2009, 10:02 AM
http://www.chinatown-shop.com/Sanda-Protective-Gear-Pack-Upper-Range-p-153.html

Or you can just use MT gear, same stuff really, Fairtex is a good choice.

MasterKiller
08-24-2009, 10:34 AM
ok, I am looking to start stocking and marketing gear for my students.
I want them to be able to spar in sanda, and san-shou events.
What gear would I need to stock?
would I need different gear for each event? Studnets cannot afford to have separate headgear for training, sanda, anshou, open tourneys, etc
I notice that some wear the headgear with the catcher's mask, others look like boxer's headgear-cheekpads and chin, but nose seems still vulnerable.
I was looking at Century's premier headgear, training gloves, shinguards. They are well made and will put our logos on them. Only, I was wndering if the headgear offered suitable protection for the face.

I would suggest they train in heavier gloves than they fight in. Train in 16 or 18 oz gloves. Most San Shou fights are 12 to 14 oz, ime.

The problem with headgear protecting the face is that it also obscures vision. If people don't want to get hit in the nose, they probably shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I would suggest they train in heavier gloves than they fight in. Train in 16 or 18 oz gloves. Most San Shou fights are 12 to 14 oz, ime.

Train yes, spar no.

MasterKiller
08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Train yes, spar no.

We spar in heavier gloves than we fight in. We use 7 oz MMA gloves and 16 oz boxing gloves in class every day. Safety first.

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2009, 10:48 AM
We spar in heavier gloves than we fight in. We use 7 oz MMA gloves and 16 oz boxing gloves in class every day. Safety first.

Never been a fan of that, bigger gloves give a false sense of range and screw up on your defense and evasive work.

uki
08-24-2009, 10:57 AM
bare knuckles are the most appropriate "glove" - they offer the most well-rounded and realistic aspect to any training or practice... afterall... on the street there might not be enough time to put on some gloves... as for head gear?? i am a fan of the block-parry-duck brand. :p

TenTigers
08-24-2009, 11:43 AM
bare knuckles are the most appropriate "glove" - they offer the most well-rounded and realistic aspect to any training or practice... afterall... on the street there might not be enough time to put on some gloves... as for head gear?? i am a fan of the block-parry-duck brand. :p

read the question.

sanjuro_ronin
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
He did, its just Uki being Uki.

uki
08-24-2009, 11:49 AM
He did, its just Uki being Uki.actually i might be someone else...

SifuYui
08-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Hey Rik, for the San Da/San Shou, we train using boxing head gear - Everlast makes them, and like the others said, train with heavier boxing gloves and fight with the lighter ones. Some San Da/San Shou people also wear chest protectors, these can be the same as the Tae Kwon Do ones. Lei Tai is simpler, fingerless gloves and headgear with the grills - no chest protector. I've got a lot of extra shin guards and stuff you can have, just give me a call.

Yui

karateguy
09-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I would say to look at either everlast or century.. they are the most reliable... and can be applied to multiple uses

Pork Chop
09-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I would say to look at either everlast or century.. they are the most reliable... and can be applied to multiple uses

everlast is nicknamed nEverlast for a reason.

I do the "train & spar heavy, fight light", usually with 16s because that tends to be the standard gloves all the gyms want heavyweights using - personally I find 14s much more realistic. Sometimes we use smaller gloves, around fight size for focus mitts.

There's also a great disparity between brands - a Winning 12oz glove will probably be easier on fists and sparring partners than a Reyes 16oz.

luckily, there are some good 16oz options for gloves that aren't too crazy bulky, that have a profile very similar to a 14oz glove, with some added protection
these gloves include:
Grant professional, Top Ten, American Stand Up

gloves that are entirely too bulky at 16oz:
almost any Thai brand (Boon, King, Twins), most Ringside gloves (especially the Ultimate Classic training gloves & anything with 2+ inches of foam)

In the UK, a lot of boxing & muay thai gyms spar with 12 & 14oz.

gear you're gonna need for a sanshou program
headgear - i recommend one for training (like winning w/the face bar if you can afford it) and one for fighting (maybe Top Ten amateur competition headgear), this way you get used to protecting a larger target and reduce injuries as much as possible.

cup - go for a thai brand stainless steel cup

chest guard - since san shou competitions require them, might as well get some. the chinese ones with the plastic ribs would be a safe bet. personally i don't know where to get these and don't like wearing them.

shin guards - i like grappling shin guards, they're especially nice with all the kick catches in san shou so you don't have to readjust every 2 min. You'll find decent offerings from Combat Sports International, Title mma, Hayabusa, and almost any big mma company will have ones that are good. King makes the best traditional shin guards.

mouth guards - i like shock doctor, they fit me. Other folks like brain pads, i can't even wear them. Gladiator's one of the top of the line custom mouth guards. Plus a dentist will make one for athletic competition if you ask, may be expensive depending on your insurance/dentist.

hand wraps - this is one area that Everlast is still pretty decent at. Ringside are pretty good once broken in. Not a huge fan of Title wraps. Winning, Reyes, and Grant all make super top of the line wraps but it's kind of a waste of money if you're not a pro boxer. I would definitely say to go with mexican style wraps. Traditional, non-elastic wraps can cut of circulation & can be very uncomfortable.

bottom line, you should invest in good gear.
cheapo gloves end up in busted up faces or force you to go unrealistically light
cheapo cup means your nads are gonna hurt, or worse
cheapo mouthguard can mean missing teeth
cheapo headgear can increase the likelihood of cuts and concussions (though no headgear can totally remove the threat of concussion)
cheapo shin guards can lead to injuries & a lot of wasted time readjusting

Xiao3 Meng4
09-19-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't have much to say re the hand, leg and chest protection, except that the San Shou/San Da I've competed in used 10 oz. gloves for the men, 8 oz. gloves for the women. For leg guards, Soccer-style, cotton padded Muay Thai pads (Shin and Metatarsal) were acceptable.

Re the headgear, I recommend AIBA approved headgear - ever since their introduction to the olympics, knockouts have been reduced to 1%.I did a search on MartialArtsMart (http://www.MartialArtsMart.com/), but they don't have one yet. (I tried, Gene - it'd be a nice addition to the store!)

The companies that make AIBA approved headgear are Adidas, Everlast, and Green Hill. The product must be listed as AIBA approved - the Everlast equipment at Wal-Mart is not the same thing. :)

Pork Chop
09-19-2009, 09:57 PM
As of 2008, Green Hill wasn't AIBA approved:
http://www.aiba.org/documents/site1/Letters/Letter%20to%20TBF%20on%20July%208.pdf
http://www.aiba.org/documents/site1/Meetings/EC/081129%20Letter%20to%20Federations%20on%20EC%20Dec isions%20-%20English.pdf

Top Ten is AIBA approved and the normal headgear worn in Amateur boxing competitions, especially the olympics, which is why i recommended it for competition.