PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Books

samurai
06-21-2001, 04:24 PM
What books would you recommend to get a GENERAL overview of the Northern Praying Mantis.

Please note THAT I AM NOT HOPING TO LEARN MANTIS FROM A BOOK!!!!! I am just wanting to see some of the system demostrated.
Thanks Again,
Jeremy Bays

EARTH DRAGON
06-21-2001, 08:52 PM
paul eng has a few volumes from carroll street press sunydale california, on praying mantis but they are mostly describing movements from sets and correct posters not much fighting ....good luck!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

yingching
06-21-2001, 11:47 PM
There is a very informative book by Lee Kam Wing called the Secrets of the Seven Star Mantis Style.
There is also a book by Shakesphere Chan on Northern Seven Star Mantis Style of Kung Fu.
Both these books cover techniques and history of Praying Mantis Kung Fu.
Wong Hon Fun books cover Mantis forms, but theye are all written in Chinese.

aw.axis
06-22-2001, 02:39 AM
I have a copy of this book (english version)and it is certainly a good book for the basics of the seven star style, it doesnt cover the differences between 7 star and 8 step, Tai Mantis and 6 harmony though. I have another book by Eddie Ferrie called Kung Fu, Martial Art and Combat Sport. But there is only a short section that covers the mantis styles so perhaps its best to borrow that one first rather then buy it.

Good luck to you