PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Heaven

GeneChing
08-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Jet's not fighting in this one. :(

Jet Li returns to Chinese film after 3 US movies
By MIN LEE (AP) – 1 day ago

HONG KONG — Jet Li is returning to Chinese film with a reportedly non-kung fu movie after three Hollywood productions, a publicist said Tuesday.

Li is due to start shooting the movie — tentatively called "Ocean Paradise" in Chinese — Edko Film publicist Zhang Hongyan told The Associated Press in a phone interview Tuesday. The film, due to be released next year, will be directed by a newcomer, Zhang said, declining to give further detail before the official announcement at a news conference in Beijing on Wednesday.

Hong Kong-based Edko Film is the Chinese distributor for the movie.

The Chengdu Shangbao newspaper reported Tuesday that Li will not fight in the movie, but Zhang declined to confirm the report, only saying, "It's a movie that's very different from his previous movies."

Li's last three films were all American productions. His two most recent releases are "The Forbidden Kingdom" — which marked his first on-screen collaboration with Jackie Chan — and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor." The 46-year-old action star just finished shooting the action thriller "The Expendables."

A former national martial arts champion in China, Li first made his name in the Hong Kong film industry with the "Once Upon a Time in China" series before moving on to Hollywood, where his credits also include "Lethal Weapon 4," "Romeo Must Die" and "Kiss of the Dragon."

Jimbo
08-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Jet Li made his name in HK and China film industry with Shaolin Temple back in 1982. I remember very clearly when Once Upon a Time in China came out, it was actually a comeback of sorts for him, because his film career had been lagging for years until 1991.

GeneChing
08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
The Great Cause of China's Foundation is Jianguo Daye (Lofty Ambitions of Founding a Republic) (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55102), which I also posted earlier this morning. :cool:

Jet Li returns to Chinese film (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/asia/china/e3ia3f0e0ee831a693620f4c99e1f381c4e)
Due to start shooting 'Ocean Paradise' in Chinese
August 25, 2009
By Karen Chu
HONG KONG -- Jet Li returns to Chinese filmmaking to star in his first Chinese-language film since the 2007 Peter Chan-directed epic "The Warlords."

Li will star with Taiwanese actress Kwai Lun-mei, last seen in Tsui Hark's "All About Women," in the directorial debut of Chinese screenwriter Xue Xiao-lu, titled "Ocean Paradise" in Chinese. Xue has written for director Chen Kaige, working the script for Chen's 2002 drama "Together With You."

Hong Kong-based Edko Films, the studio/distribution powerhouse owned by producer Bill Kong ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," "Lust, Caution") is one of the investors behind "Ocean Paradise." The film will be distributed by Edko in China and Hong Kong.

After a duo of Hollywood-Chinese co-productions -- "The Forbidden Kingdom" and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" -- Li, a devout Buddhist, announced in May 2008 he would take a break from films to dedicate his time to charity work.

Since then he has played a supporting role in the Sylvester Stallone actioner "The Expendables" and made an appearance with the major stars of the Chinese film industry in "The Great Cause of China's Foundation," the $6 million epic produced to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the founding of People's Republic of China, scheduled for a September release.

"Ocean Paradise" will commence filming in China after an official announcement in Beijing on Wednesday.

GeneChing
08-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Not much new in this report...

Posted: Tue., Aug. 25, 2009, 8:30am PT
Jet Li returns to roots with Chinese pic
Actor dives into 'Ocean Paradise' (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007687.html?categoryid=13&cs=1)
By CLIFFORD COONAN

Martial arts star Jet Li is to return to Chinese cinema -- in a non-chopsocky role -- in "Ocean Paradise," screenwriter Xue Xiaolu's helming debut.

The film is set in the harbor city of Qingdao and focuses on father-son relationships.

Hong Kong-based Edko Films, the studio/distrib owned by producer Bill Kong ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," "Lust, Caution"), will distribute the pic in China and Hong Kong.

This is Li's first outing in China since Peter Chan's 2007 epic "The Warlords" and follows three movies in Hollywood, including "The Forbidden Kingdom" with Jackie Chan and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor." He has just finished shooting a small part in Sylvester Stallone's "The Expendables."

Xue was the scribe on Chen Kaige's "Together" in 2002.

The pair appeared at a news conference in Beijing on Wednesday to tubthump the pic along with Taiwanese actress Kwai Lun-mei, Chen Rui and Wen Zhang.

Li made his name as a martial arts champion in China, before moving to Hong Kong where he starred in the "Once Upon a Time in China" series. In Hollywood his credits include "Lethal Weapon 4" and "Romeo Must Die."

Like many mainland celebs, Li also appears in "The Great Cause of China's Foundation," a propaganda movie about the founding of the People's Republic of China 60 years ago.

GeneChing
08-28-2009, 09:36 AM
An autistic relative? Like Unleashed (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35097)or Chocolate (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49620) or Heart of the Dragon? But no kung fu. More like Rain Man then.

No Kungfu and no charity for Jet Li in ocean paradise (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/showbiz/2009-08/28/content_8628477.htm)
(CRI)
Updated: 2009-08-28 11:02

International movie star Jet Li, who has dedicated most of his time to charity work since last year, will take a major role in the film "Ocean Paradise", according to the Chinese Web portal Sina.com.

Set in an aquarium, the film tells a simple story between a father and his autistic son. Jet Li plays the father and rising Chinese actor Wen Zhang is "his son".

"I haven't got a role as a father for long," said Jet Li at a press conference in Beijing on Wednesday.

"Last time my son was a kid, and this time it is Wen Zhang...I must have become a father at a very young age," he joked.

"I met some autistic children when I was doing charity work in recent years. When I read the script, I cried," Jet Li said, "I hope to express gratitude to all the parents in the world through the film."

Taiwan actress Kwai Lun-mei will star in the film as a clown who performs in the aquarium and meets the father and son. "I have been practicing juggling since the day I met the director," said Kwai.

The debut project of screenwriter-turned-director Xue Xiao-lu is slated for release in 2010.

GeneChing
06-08-2010, 02:15 PM
《海洋天堂》剧情版预告片 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boGTxyZGpqA)

Looks like Jackie Chan's Heart of the Dragon. Or Rain Man...

GeneChing
09-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Now it's called Ocean Heaven? I'm not changing the thread title just yet...

Jet Li married first wife to change his fortunes (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1078683/1/.html)
Posted: 02 September 2010 1602 hrs

TAIPEI: Action star Jet Li has revealed that he married his first wife Huang Qiu Yan to change his fortunes, reported Chinese media.

When asked about his two marriages during a recent television appearance to promote his new film "Ocean Heaven", Li said he became very sick at one point in his life and married Huang, a classmate two years his senior, on his godmother's advice.

His godmother claimed that Huang would change Li's destiny and improve his chances of becoming a star.

"I married [Huang] to 'chong xi' (the traditional practice of chasing away misfortune with a happy occasion)," admitted Li.

The "Fearless" star went on to point out that they eventually separated in 1990 after a two-year marriage because there was not enough mutual love in the relationship – Huang loved him deeply but Li only loved her about "20 per cent".

Li, who is currently married to former beauty queen Nina Li Chi, said he felt a sense of obligation toward his ex-wife, but never felt guilty for leaving her.

The 47-year-old actor pointed out that he had done everything he could to advance her career and introduced her to the directors of the films he worked on, in hopes of helping her clinch a role, which she did.

"This way, when I broke up with her, I would not feel guilty as she was also successful," said Li, adding that he and Huang are still friends today.

His only regret was that he could not spend more time with the two daughters he had with Huang.

In contrast, Li, founder of the charity The One Foundation, said he loved his present wife very much.

"I am very certain I am willing to die for her, to give up everything for her," said Li, adding that it was her support that enabled him to go into charity work full time.

The couple married in 1999 and they have two daughters.

GeneChing
10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
First review (yea, like any of you are hardcore enough Jet fans to see this one...:rolleyes:)

This is Jet being dramatic. He does no wushu at all. None. Never mind that he's the top grossing actor in China now (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1049768&postcount=9). He has to do something dramatic.

It's parallel to Jackie's Heart of the Dragon, which is quite good. Jackie is a cop. His brother, played by Sammo Hung, is mentally retarded. Good drama, good fights, very satisfying.

In OH, Jet works in an aquarium and his son (well played by Wen Zhang) is autistic. And Jet is dying of a terminal stomach illness. It's a ponderous film, set in aquamarine hues, with lots of calming shots of fish. It's sad, very sad. It's also very existential in that lonely, stoic Communist China way. Jet delivers a superb performance, very textured and understated, but man, even though I knew what I was getting into with this flick, I kept wanting him to bust out and kick some ass.