PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Mystified & Simplified

Wong Fai
08-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Hello,

I am new to this forum. It has been some time since I discussed such topics but it's good to see that there are some eager out there wanting to learn, wanting answers, guidance, confirmation, help.....!
I was/am one of you, so please know this.....
Wing Chun (beautiful springtime) is an incredible art and if open to it will lead you to understand many things!
If you want to learn to fight..3 months is the norm.
If you want to learn more, then get ready, bring your notebook, sit beneath someone willing to teach and grow from there.

There is too much talk about the various styles of WC. WC emcompasses so much because it includes all....the 8 directions, "8" steps, " stances, "hands, fists, elbows, knees, body's, et cetera.
It then goes beyond with the muk jong training, knives and long pole.

Wing Chun's history tells of...
Monks simplifiying their methods...
a young girl fending off a stronger man...
fights and skills traded while on the red junks....
... fist fighting in Hong Kong...
....Bruce Lee demonstrating WC in the U.S...
And much more...Wing Chun's history is that of fighting on many fronts.

Today MMA training has shortened the gap for those wanting to learn how to fight.
MMA has become an incredible sport and those who take part are to be commended for their training, dedication and abilities.
In fact, MMA has resurrected the fighting sports and helped to replace Boxing and its crooked promoters (Don King) with something reputable and realistic.
(BTW: The sweet science is very much alive but not in the hands of those who only seek their own favor.)

But - Wing Chun has not died, it lives on in those who seek to learn the beautiful concepts that exist within this art.
All Kung Fu is just that...Kung (Strength) Fu(art)...Wing Chun encompasses so much of each.

Wing Chun, as I learned, is a simple way to handle an opponent. Going to the ground is stupid..and every fight I've been in has included my opponent and his friends...
going to the ground as (most MMA fighter want to) would mean you'd be kicked to death as your opponent invites the neighborhood to join in.
I was taught to hit hard, kick low and be prepared to move quickly to avoid my opponents cousins, friends or whomever.

So, in short, enjoy whatever system you pursue....don't try to compare because each has its own uniqueness. If you want to be good at everything, stop posting and start training 'cuz you have much to learn.

Enjoy,

Wong Fai

Frost
08-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Welcome!! with virtually your first post you must be commended for trying to do several things whilst sounding civil…….: Firstly trying to take us back to the early 90’s by insinuating that MMA is basically ground fighting and that nearly all MMA trained guys are stupid and only want to take the fight to the ground… and secondly trying to bring the whole MMA is just for the ring and not for real fighting (unlike wing chun) argument back from the dead…….that’s quite an achievement

You even managed to throw in the street is full of multiple attackers just waiting to kick your head in argument for good measure

YungChun
08-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Welcome!! with virtually your first post you must be commended for trying to do several things whilst sounding civil…….: Firstly trying to take us back to the early 90’s by insinuating that MMA is basically ground fighting and that nearly all MMA trained guys are stupid and only want to take the fight to the ground… and secondly trying to bring the whole MMA is just for the ring and not for real fighting (unlike wing chun) argument back from the dead…….that’s quite an achievement

You even managed to throw in the street is full of multiple attackers just waiting to kick your head in argument for good measure

Nothing like jumping in with both feet eh? LMAO! :D

----------------------------------------

Hi Wong... What's your lineage?

Frost
08-27-2009, 05:45 AM
[QUOTE=YungChun;956582]Nothing like jumping in with both feet eh? LMAO! :D
QUOTE]

Well I was also going to mention the whole bringing respectability back to fighting sports thing being a tad wrong, (How many fixed MMA fights have there been in Japan? not to mention the late Prides connection with the yakuza, and elite’s whole kimbo gate debacle)

And how I loved he managed to insult the whole of the professional boxing world with one sentence. But hey its his first time here i thought i'd be gentle :D

the whole simple and direct thing and only taking three months to learn to fight with wing chun I’ll leave to others to… umm… discuss with Wong :D

couch
08-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Wow. Could barely read all of that. It was like someone threw up all over the internet.

Xiao3 Meng4
08-27-2009, 06:42 AM
If you want to learn to fight..3 months is the norm.

Too many unknowns in this statement.

Who is it that is "learning to fight?" People with no fight experience, some fight experience, or LEOs? There'd be a big difference between the first 2 groups and the last one, for instance.

How healthy are the students in question? Are they already athletes, or are they couch potatoes? (No, couch, you're definitely not a potato. Maybe a Yam, though.) ;)

What is it that is being learned? Are people in this scenario "learning to fight" in general or are they "learning to fight with Wing Chun?"

How many hours a day would they be training?

How many days a week?

How much sparring would be involved, and at what intensities?

Before these questions are answered, it is impossible for me to agree or disagree.

Ultimatewingchun
08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
After reading the first post of this thread...

Gets a big glass of koolaid, a bowl of chips, and sits down very bored by the TV to watch some old Hawaii Five-O reruns.

YungChun
08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I like the Rockford Files myself... :)

Wong Fai
08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow...guess I hit some nerves there...my apologies.
In response-
Learning the basic punches/hands with footwork will in about (3 months) enable an athletic individual to be able to fight (upright) pretty well. I am not encouraging anyone to go out and fight but that was my experience with WC after spending 3 years learning Shao-lin forms and boxing during my teens.
Regarding MMA- I have nothing but respect for those who train this way because its probably the best way to learn to defend yourself overall. I also believe those who compete at the higher levels are some of the best trained athletes ever. And from what I have seen they put it all on the line then shake hands when its over....unlike boxing and the smack talk.
Regarding boxing- it is an awesome sport but has been tainted by promoters in the past and that is quite obvious.
Enough said, don't want to throw up on the internet again so take what I have said as my opinion, nothing more.

anerlich
08-27-2009, 05:23 PM
I still find myself transfixed by the wind-tunnel- and helicopter-blade-downdraft-resistant binding qualities of whatever Steve McGarrett puts in his hair.

BOOK 'EM DANO - MURDER ONE!

LOL at there being no smack talk in MMA.

TenTigers
08-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Wong Fai,
just out of curiosity, do you teach? Do you have a school?

Wong Fai
08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
I do not teach or have a school. I have taught at Southern California Wing Chun from about 1988 through the early nineties, until its owner and my good friend, Jerry McKinley, passed away. I originally learned wing chun studying under Jim Lau starting in 1978- the mid to late 80's then spent much time with Dan Pezold, Sifu Lau's top student, training and learning more.

Yoshiyahu
08-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I do not teach or have a school. I have taught at Southern California Wing Chun from about 1988 through the early nineties, until its owner and my good friend, Jerry McKinley, passed away. I originally learned wing chun studying under Jim Lau starting in 1978- the mid to late 80's then spent much time with Dan Pezold, Sifu Lau's top student, training and learning more.

Excellent...Would you say your a Wing Chun Purist?

Wong Fai
08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
A Wing Chun Purist....not entirely sure what you mean but I would probably say, no!
I do believe WC to be a great system that encompasses much more than people think.

Ultimatewingchun
08-28-2009, 09:37 PM
...what, exactly :confused:

So that you can keep your "culture" free of outside influence?

So that you can keep your style, at least in your own mind, numero uno?

Showing all those other guys/styles that yours is better?

Allows yourself to be more fully convinced that you don't have to look elsewhere for answers about fighting?

And therefore this saves you time, money, and energy?

And also allows for you to remain at an advanced level, since having to learn something else (to compliment what you're doing) means that you're a beginner again?