PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

Joesg2
09-02-2009, 07:05 AM
I have wanted to learn to fight with a staff since i was a little boy and i just found the style i want to do but i dont have enough money to buy lessons or the dvd of the monkey king staff style can someone help either tell me somewere i can get a cheap instructional dvd or something usefull

TenTigers
09-02-2009, 07:20 AM
save your money-a little bit at a time. A dvd only costs forty US dollars. You can check out ebay as well, and pick one up cheaper-although you may end up paying shipping.
But, not to be mean, but to be perfectly honest-If you do not have the discipline to get forty dollars together, you don't have the discipline for Martial Arts.
12 yr-olds delivering newspapers on their bicycles save up hundreds of dollars.
I know, because that is how I bought my first electric guitar.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
Good Luck.

MightyB
09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
http://www.martialartsmart.com/weapons-dvd.html

Look in their specials and closeouts. You'll find instructional videos for as low $14.

Joesg2
09-02-2009, 08:21 AM
save your money-a little bit at a time. A dvd only costs forty US dollars. You can check out ebay as well, and pick one up cheaper-although you may end up paying shipping.
But, not to be mean, but to be perfectly honest-If you do not have the discipline to get forty dollars together, you don't have the discipline for Martial Arts.
12 yr-olds delivering newspapers on their bicycles save up hundreds of dollars.
I know, because that is how I bought my first electric guitar.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
Good Luck.

its not i cant save money im out of work i was laid off and am having a real hard time finding a bakery job in ct

CFT
09-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I'd save for lessons rather than buy the dvd. You need hands-on tuition.

B-Rad
09-02-2009, 08:39 AM
What "monkey king staff" are you talking about?

Pork Chop
09-02-2009, 09:01 AM
what's sad is that the west actually had pretty advanced staff techniques
http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/swetnam.htm - starting with "The true guard for the Staffe, which we will call the Low guard" and continuing through to the second part.

i bet you'd probably get more experience with staff fighting by going the SCA route than you ever would from an actual kung fu school, let alone a kung fu dvd

Lucas
09-02-2009, 09:04 AM
i bet you'd probably get more experience with staff fighting by going the SCA

i'd second that. you'll at least get hands on experience. most american kungfu schools dont actually fight with their staffs. some will train the actual applications, but mostly its just form.

i wouldnt vere away from chinese arts for sure. we all love em. but if you have an outlet through SCA near you, check it out. you can get some sparring in there.

SPJ
09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
you may search or google some basic info about staff fighting free.

most costly thing is the staff.

some people start with a rubber/soft practice one first.

anyhoo:

some basics:

1. press (an): one hand holding the base of the staff, the other hand holding about 1/3 of the staff, you twirl a circle either clockwise or counterclock wise to press down. circulary up and then down.

2. intercept (lan), move the staff horizontally to your left or right.

3. pierce (ci): push your staff forward to stab, high mid low.

2 can also be called to sweep again high mid low.

if the opponent ci, you may an or lan.

if the opponent an, you lan
if the opponent lan, you an.

you yield first.

----

Lucas
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
if you are looking for some free ways to get some visual ideas of how to go about beginning with a staff. try youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kungfu+staff&search_type=&aq=f)

Joesg2
09-02-2009, 09:32 AM
thank you all for taking time to help a stranger i should explain that i have a staff i just got a 6foot rattan staff for my birthday a few days ago and i am a big fan of journey to the west its one of my favorite books thats why i wanted to learn the monkey king style and the reason i want help getting a cheap dvd is because i got laid off so i have very little money to spend and there are not any kung fu schools i can find in fairfield county ct can any1 give me some tips plz i would greatly appericaite it

Lucas
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Here is a list of monkey staff forms/techniques/performances (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=monkey+staff&search_type=&aq=f)

i would sift through them and see what strikes your fancy. i'm sure you are already playing around with your staff, so pulling some moves out of some vids isnt going to harm anything. at the very least you will get a rounded idea of what you can expect. keep in mind, monkey anything is by far one of the more physically demanding styles to practice.

sansoo99
09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
You know YOUTube has great instructional videos, I would go there and see if I could find some related staff forms

www.martialartifacts.net

No_Know
10-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Joesg2 the staff you mention has its own type of techniques--Robin Hood fighting Little, John on the log-bridge style I might think. Play and replay the opening to Kung-Fu the DVD series or the Television show. The clip of the older man and the late teen Kwai-Chang is stuff you should drill or have down to fight. Search for clips of Monkey King staff at video-clip websites, looking for tournaments at which the monkey king demonstrated. If you cannot do a jump practice leaving the ground, if you cannot do a flip start to spin then leave the ground. If you cannot do a roll get on the grounds and "stop drop and Roll as if beginning to put-out a fire that was on you--roll sideways as down a hill if you cannot roll heels over cranium.

As you become more fit and have greater or more enough understanding you will build what you can do right now to approach some of the skill you see in the demonstration. But do the most that you know how. Waiting until you have everything to start might merely leave you waiting. And if you do get proper instruction you will need to be fit and agile and have endurance with movements in the forms. Do the conditioning part now. Get the learning when you can and you'll be that much ****her.

With the staff you have I might bring to you to hold as close to one end of the staffas you can hold straight out palm downarm out to the same side as the hand holding the staff. Then bend that side elbow to do palm-up in front of the middle of your chest (least tension talk to healthcare people about this move before you try it or before you do it. Roll the staff to palm down

No_Know

bawang
10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
hi joseg2,

i also tried to learn kung fu when i was poor. instead i wasted precious time

instead punch in horse stance. practicing horse stance needs no monehs. when you get the monehs, your basics will be really good and learn fast

uki
10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
just go play with it... just let it flow. staff is simple - if you need help learning how to use it you might have a learning malfunction. :p

Lokhopkuen
10-21-2009, 09:54 PM
staff useless; save money buy gun:D

uki
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
staff useless; save money buy gun.when economy collapses, people stop working in factories... ammo supply becomes shortened... bullets run out... learn staff - don't be ignorant. :p

Dragonzbane76
10-22-2009, 03:44 PM
when economy collapses, people stop working in factories... ammo supply becomes shortened... bullets run out... learn staff - don't be ignorant.

that's why i'm stock piling and have a true arsenal at my house. When the peasants and lynch mob come, I'll do like jesus and mosses did on Mt. olympus, kill them all, and i'll be the only one with all the guns, and you people with staffs will perish. :)

Lokhopkuen
10-23-2009, 02:04 AM
when economy collapses, people stop working in factories... ammo supply becomes shortened... bullets run out... learn staff - don't be ignorant. :p

They ain't never running outta bullets my man and my chops (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROUeRhNJdTU) are firmly in place;)

Lokhopkuen
10-23-2009, 02:07 AM
that's why i'm stock piling and have a true arsenal at my house. When the peasants and lynch mob come, I'll do like jesus and mosses did on Mt. olympus, kill them all, and i'll be the only one with all the guns, and you people with staffs will perish. :)

Careful ATF is listening....
I don't have any guns, i swear:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lokhopkuen
10-23-2009, 02:11 AM
thank you all for taking time to help a stranger i should explain that i have a staff i just got a 6foot rattan staff for my birthday a few days ago and i am a big fan of journey to the west its one of my favorite books thats why i wanted to learn the monkey king style and the reason i want help getting a cheap dvd is because i got laid off so i have very little money to spend and there are not any kung fu schools i can find in fairfield county ct can any1 give me some tips plz i would greatly appericaite it

Youtube is your best bet friend. Find something that appeals to you, learn a set of basic movements, make them your own and then build on that.

Peace

uki
10-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Careful ATF is listening....and the NSA, CIA, MOSSAD, FBI, and a host of other independent "think tanks" and other contracted "watchers". :D

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 04:15 AM
I might work for one of them watch out :)

uki
10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I might work for one of them watch out :)ooooohhhh... oh noes!!! :rolleyes:

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 03:37 PM
haha joke... maybe..?

uki
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
haha joke... maybe..?i could care less either way. :)

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 03:51 PM
never said you should uki lol