PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question for School Owners ONLY

TenTigers
09-02-2009, 07:24 AM
if a family wants to sign up, say, four members. How do you price it?
Some have the second family member 10-20 percent off, thethird 50 percent, etc.
There is a fine line between offering a savings, and not making any money.

MasterKiller
09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I charge $55/month.
Two people is $100 ($50 each)
Three or more people is $45 each.

Fen
09-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Well there is two ways to this.
1st give a 10 or 20% savings off there total bill. (If you have a job outside the school then you only need to pay the bills of the school. So charge accordingly) <- the smart way to go!

2nd Get or have a wife that pays all your bills so you can have the money from the school. Sad to say, but this is what most MAists do, until they hit it big time. Then it goes to their head because they think they're someone. Then they need to have pics of famous people all over there website and school to help them with there ego.

~Jason

Tainan Mantis
09-02-2009, 08:07 AM
I offer 10% off for each additional family member.

Mostly only applied when a family has two kids enrolling together.

TenTigers
09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Then they need to have pics of famous people all over there website and school to help them with there ego.

~Jason

cool. I already have pics of me with Steve Vai, Billy Squier,and Gary Wright.

Fen
09-02-2009, 02:24 PM
sweet then you are on the right track! lol

~Jason

Water Dragon
09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
We charge $ 75/month for the first person, $ 35/month for each additional family member. We can generally work out a deal with larger families. Our goal is to grow a successful club, not make money. We've helped a lot of kids, and both our adults and kids bring home a lot of medals at competitions.

On the one hand, we need to cover rent, utilities, and insurance, and we like to help out with the cost of tournaments for our kids too, but we don't want anyone to not learn Judo because they can't afford it. It goes against the Spirit of the Art. I'm not sure what you would want to do if the idea is to make money. You have to draw a line somewhere, I guess.

Shaolin
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
10% off for second and 20% for a third family member (don't give discounts for friends you'll price yourself right out of business). Cap it at three family members. Meaning even if they bring you 10 family members the price is the same as if it's three. Remember this is still your business treat it like one. If I go to a local pizzeria and buy 10 pies for my son's birthday party should I get a discount for buying in bulk; sure why not, it's good customer service. But should I expect to get pies 7-10 for free? No. The days of starving martial artist are over. As a martial arts instructor you are providing your students with physical fitness and longevity, a healthy self-esteem, better focus and mental stimulation to name just a few. Gyms charge a lot of money for personal training sessions and they usually suck. You're giving much more than that, it's okay to charge a fair price and make a profit.

F.Y.I. the national average cost for martial arts classes is $120 per month; if your charging less than that and you're not teaching out of the YMCA or your house, you probably won't make it. The average school closes in the first three years. If you don't know how to run a business I recommend starting with the idiots guide to starting your own business.

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781592575848,00.html?The_Complete_Idiot's_Guid e_to_Starting_Your_Own_Business,_5th_Edition_Edwar d_Paulson

Fen
09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
10% off for second and 20% for a third family member (don't give discounts for friends you'll price yourself right out of business). Cap it at three family members. Meaning even if they bring you 10 family members the price is the same as if it's three. Remember this is still your business treat it like one. If I go to a local pizzeria and buy 10 pies for my son's birthday party should I get a discount for buying in bulk; sure why not, it's good customer service. But should I expect to get pies 7-10 for free? No. The days of starving martial artist are over. As a martial arts instructor you are providing your students with physical fitness and longevity, a healthy self-esteem, better focus and mental stimulation to name just a few. Gyms charge a lot of money for personal training sessions and they usually suck. You're giving much more than that, it's okay to charge a fair price and make a profit.

F.Y.I. the national average cost for martial arts classes is $120 per month; if your charging less than that and you're not teaching out of the YMCA or your house, you probably won't make it. The average school closes in the first three years. If you don't know how to run a business I recommend starting with the idiots guide to starting your own business.

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781592575848,00.html?The_Complete_Idiot's_Guid e_to_Starting_Your_Own_Business,_5th_Edition_Edwar d_Paulson

Well put!

~Jason