PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun in San Diego

WCGooner
09-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Hello... just moved to San Diego and want to look for good Wing Chun kung fu school. Any ideas or suggestions?

On google search, I found the following:
- Ma Tak See Wing Chun Association
- Jing Institute of Martial Arts
- San Diego Wing Chun Kung Fu
- White Tiger Kung Fu

All say they teach Wing Chun.

Anyone know these schools. Which one would you suggest and why. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Yoshiyahu
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Hello... just moved to San Diego and want to look for good Wing Chun kung fu school. Any ideas or suggestions?

On google search, I found the following:
- Ma Tak See Wing Chun Association
- Jing Institute of Martial Arts
- San Diego Wing Chun Kung Fu
- White Tiger Kung Fu

All say they teach Wing Chun.

Anyone know these schools. Which one would you suggest and why. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Asked around about which school specializes in Wing Chun. I would go with Mak Tak See or SDWCKF if you asked me? But thats just a preference. Inquire about their curriculm...

WCGooner
09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Yoshi: thank you for your suggestion. May I ask what you like about Ma Tak See and SDWCKF?

Vajramusti
09-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Visit all the schools that you can. Read as much about the art that you can. If you can find Sifu Eng see if you can get some key lessons from him or at least get his advice about the direction to go..

joy chaudhuri

WCGooner
09-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Joy, thanks for the reply. Is Rene Eng the same as Rene Ng at the San Diego Wing Chun (www.sandiegowingchun.com) Can you tell me more about him... is he good with Wing Chun? What do you like about him?

Vajramusti
09-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Should be but he may not be there all the time.
He is originally from Macao across the bay from Hong Kong and he started with very good teacher-it's all mentioned in the site.

You can check all the schools and make your choice.

joy chaudhuri

WCGooner
09-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Joy, thanks again for the suggestion. I'll go check him and the other schools out.

Yoshiyahu
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Yoshi: thank you for your suggestion. May I ask what you like about Ma Tak See and SDWCKF?

No particular reason really except these school seem to specialize in WC. If the school specializes in one field or system thats your best bet. That way you will get a complete system. Otherwise if you go to school trying to teach you two to three things at once. The concepts will be jumbled and whats WC and whats not will so far interelataed that you will won't have the a authenic system.

rindge
09-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Is rene ng still tachingin san diego? I heard he left san diego around 2003-2005 for florida. If he is still, there definetly check him out. I spent a day at class at a visitior and found him and his students to be very hospitable. One the senior students was a guy named pete...at least I think that was his name. If you want, I think I can track down his old email address.

Rindge

WCGooner
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I did contact Rene this weekend, and enjoyed talking to him. Very nice guy! I also met with some of his students. They were extremely friendly and approachable, and very willing to work with each other and help each other out. I found both Rene and his students to be very knowledgeable and proficient with Wing Chun. What impressed me most was seeing how Rene taught his students. Not only was he very detailed in teaching them, but he was also very good in making sure that they understoond what was being taught, illustrating with the use of examples, moves and drills. And, yes, I also checked out some other kung fu schools, including White Tiger and Choy Lai Fut schools in San Diego.

Rindge - Rene is back teaching in San Diego, and he apparently moved back earlier this year. He told me he moved to Florida a few years ago, as you had mentioned, and only very recently returned to San Diego. His student's name is Pete Roberts (if I remember correctly), and he teaches the class at the Jing Institute of Martial Arts. I also visited Jings, and they have a beautiful facility. And, I also found out that another one of Rene's students also teaches in San Diego in a kung fu school in an area called Ocean Beach.

I have decided to join the SDWCKF, assuming that they will let me join. I really enjoyed meeting Rene and his students, and I loved how their classes are conducted.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions, insights, and recommendations.