PDA

View Full Version : Is age a factor in learning

Hieu Nguyen
06-27-2001, 07:18 PM
I have been in america about 20 years and I have always been fascinated with the mantis style, when I left vietnam there was an old teacher who was going to teach me but I had to leave the country for political reasons but now that my english has improved I would really like to learn this mantis style.
But I have simple question maybe someone could help?
I just turned 50 and noticed I am overweight and not very flexible. but I dont think I look 50 compared to some that I have seen.
By my age, am I to old to learn Mantis? and get good?
I was told that many of the external styles after they get old they are not able to use their art anymore? I want an art that will stay with me for the rest of my life?Something that will prepare me to defend myself, my family against any type of aggressor.I would want something that has a good portion of Internal aspects in the art also.

[This message was edited by socalimantis on 06-28-01 at 10:25 AM.]

baldmantiz
06-27-2001, 07:30 PM
i think that it is never too late to learn. there used t be a person in my class who was over 50. granted it will be harder to do some of the movements due to age.

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

yingching
06-27-2001, 07:34 PM
Perhaps you should ask Kam Yuen.

EARTH DRAGON
06-27-2001, 07:35 PM
In my experience I have found that your never too old to learn. However some of the techniques in any martial art can be trying at times. I have had more than one student that have enrolled at our school over the age of fifty. While some of them have had trouble with jumping and kicking applications for the most part they did just fine. Another side to CMA is the internal aspect that can stimulate longevity and youthfulness which can be learned well up into the elderly years. By the time one reaches that level of maturity the fighting aspects of any system may not play as important of a role as say strengthening, coordination, physical fitness and internal chi cultavation. good luck!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Arod1972
06-27-2001, 08:23 PM
I suggest Tai-chi. 8 step mantis takes a lot of endurance and phisical ability. Or if you want to learn how to fight straight-foward learn Wing chun..No I am not saying WC is better, just that, it dosent take endurance or physical abillty to learn. Just percise angling and alignment of body parts and such.
Good luck
Tamoke

One who has two roots becomes a stronger tree.

Hieu Nguyen
06-27-2001, 08:28 PM
Both taichi and WC just dont seem to fit me. I like Mantis period.

Arod1972
06-27-2001, 10:42 PM
Sometimes we have to face reality, youll understan when you get there and start training..its no peice of cake. If your real serouis about fighting youll end up in wing chun. Have you even looked into it? Its not pretty but it is realistic compared to the many forms youll have to do for strength and balance in which you wont use in fighting. think about it.
Take care

aw.axis
06-28-2001, 01:28 AM
If you are really taken with the mantis style why not just try it. Its not the easiest to learn and WC and Tai Chi are generally more popular for older MAs, but what the hell, Im probably one of the heaviest mantis practitioners (and not that flexible compared to other students) and I do OK. No doubt there are better mantis guys then me but I enjoy it so I do it. (Maybe ask your local mantis Sifu if he thinks your up to it if your unsure about your physical condition if your worried about it)

Good luck to you

Arod1972
06-28-2001, 01:39 AM
Sorry dont mean to contradict you but..
I dont recomend asking any local sifu. After all they need to make a living and will probably tell its good for you and youll do fine. i think your doing the right thing asking here on a bullitin board, no one can make money off you here.

NPM
06-28-2001, 02:46 AM
50 Years old is not too old to learn Northern Praying Mantis.
I cannot speak for other branches such as: Plum Flower, Eight Steps and contemporary wushu mantis, etc. that I'm not familiar with but I know sifu Kam Yuen teaches LKY's 7* mantis and Chiu Chuk Kai's Tai Chi Mantis.

Both of these branches do not emphasize high jumps and high kicks in their forms but both have a lot of practical Sahn Sao or techniques.

I cannot guarantee that you can learn this style as fast as someone in their teen or the 20's because this style requires coordination, especially since you said that you are not in your best condition.

Over the years I have taught a lot of students who were out of shape and uncoordinated.
They seem to pick up applications and fighting techniques after a few basic forms. I would say if one have the will to learn and not afraid of trying, he/she will learn.

NPM