PDA

View Full Version : Clf one armed form

hskwarrior
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
very nice!!!

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/QRA0PT5mAf4/

Phil Redmond
09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Good form. It's nice to see that WC isn't the only style that trains one arm.

hskwarrior
09-07-2009, 09:49 AM
there are a few CLF schools out there that teach a one armed form. we do, singapore hung sing kwoon does....and obviously so does chan fam CLF....all good.

Olaf
09-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey, I think those are the Choi Li Fut guys from Belgium doing the music

Mano Mano
09-07-2009, 12:56 PM
It’s Sifu Edmund Ng’s youngest son in the video at the inauguration of the European Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu Association & they’re Heroic Victory not Chan family.

CLFNole
09-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Mano:

What do you know about this set? Is it unique to your lineage? I know hung fut is rather famous for it but I have never really heard of it in CLF before.

Mano Mano
09-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Mano:

What do you know about this set? Is it unique to your lineage? I know hung fut is rather famous for it but I have never really heard of it in CLF before.
Its unique to Sifu Ng's school

hskwarrior
09-07-2009, 01:57 PM
not Chan family

oh...so is it more the Fut San Hung Sing lineage then? it's my understanding that Great Sage and Heroic Victory are from the Ging Mui lineage while ours is fut san.

Ben Gash
09-08-2009, 04:17 AM
It’s Sifu Edmund Ng’s youngest son in the video at the inauguration of the European Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu Association & they’re Heroic Victory not Chan family.

I thought you guys were from Chan Koon Pak?
Chan Koon Pak - Fong Yuk Shu - Chan Hon Heung - Chew Yew Jong - Edmund Ng How Tak
Are you translating the Hung which we translate as strong as heroic? (I've seen this translation in other systems).
However, it is true to say that not all branches from King Mui can be identified as Chan family.

extrajoseph
09-08-2009, 08:16 AM
So far I understood the so call "Chan family" is really Chen Yong-Fa's Wing Sing Tong:

http://choyleefut.ws/

So in that sense, not all branches from King Mui can be identified as Chan family.

CLFNole
09-08-2009, 10:20 AM
So far I understood the so call "Chan family" is really Chen Yong-Fa's Wing Sing Tong:

http://choyleefut.ws/

So in that sense, not all branches from King Mui can be identified as Chan family.

This what I have always thought of Chan Family CLF as. Anything directly down the family line, which today would be Chan Sun Wiu, Chan Wing Fat, Chan Kit Fong, Ng Fu Hang. Not sure but doesn't Chan Sun Wiu have another brother?

Ben Gash
09-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but "everyone but us" doesn't sound as good as "the Chan family" does it ;)

hskwarrior
09-08-2009, 10:55 AM
nah....i like the sound of "HUNG SING KUEN" slightly better. ;)

extrajoseph
09-08-2009, 11:04 AM
"Not sure but doesn't Chan Sun Wiu have another brother?"

Besides Chan Wan-Han (Chen Yong-Fa's father), Chan Sun-Wiu don't have another brother.

Such a small group of people, the direct descendants of Chan Heung, why the animosity and the competition?

Drake
09-08-2009, 11:10 AM
"Not sure but doesn't Chan Sun Wiu have another brother?"

Besides Chan Wan-Han (Chen Yong-Fa's father), Chan Sun-Wiu don't have another brother.

Such a small group of people, the direct descendants of Chan Heung, why the animosity and the competition?

No animosity here.

brothernumber9
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
so what was the influence or origin of the one armed CLF form? It is markedly different from the hung fut or hak fu moon ones I have seen, which I hoped it would be. It is easily discernable as CLF. Is it one of the more well known CLF forms done with just one hand?

CLFNole
09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
We don't have it in our lineage and I haven't seen this set much but I doubt it has the history of hung fut's version. Didn't Bak Mo Chui teach people that were disabled thus creating Sei Dai Bai Kuen (4 cripples) and dok bei kuen (one-arm form)?

brothernumber9
09-09-2009, 06:30 AM
the hungfut dok bei kuen originated as reverence to a general who, while holding a child, fought off attackers and escaped. The set I beleive is primarily fut gar and the core derived from a one armed nun. I am not sure that the nun was a fut gar practicioner, or that the set or techs were just obsorbed by a practitioner that learned from her. I may be confusing it slightly, I will go back over my notes, but I think it's not too far off.

Mano Mano
09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I thought you guys were from Chan Koon Pak?
Chan Koon Pak - Fong Yuk Shu - Chan Hon Heung - Chew Yew Jong - Edmund Ng How Tak
Are you translating the Hung which we translate as strong as heroic? (I've seen this translation in other systems).
However, it is true to say that not all branches from King Mui can be identified as Chan family.
We are, 雄 can mean Strong or Heroic

chasincharpchui
09-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Mano:

edmund ng's son made this form himself

hakka jai
09-15-2009, 08:14 AM
edmund ng's son made this form himself

chasincharpchui,
Yip, you've got that right as sifu Edmund is good friends with Sifu man (hungfut) in Glasgow & according to my sources Sifu Edmunds son was going up for lessons in HF to add to his CLF & this was one (only) form to come out of it but he probably learnt other stuff.

cheers
hakkajai:)

jmd161
09-16-2009, 02:36 AM
so what was the influence or origin of the one armed CLF form? It is markedly different from the hung fut or hak fu moon ones I have seen, which I hoped it would be. It is easily discernable as CLF. Is it one of the more well known CLF forms done with just one hand?

I'm very curious as to when and where you've seen our One armed Form?

Very few people have seen our One Armed Form and even fewer in the US. I never knew CLF had a one Arm form. I heard Jow Ga has one but sources have said it's either Hung Fut's or ours being taught within some Jow Ga lineages.

This set looks like a remake of the Hung Kam Pui lineage of hung Fut's one arm form.

I have ours on video, but would have to ask my sifu before I can post it... since it's him doing the form at a private gathering.

jeff:)

jmd161
09-16-2009, 02:44 AM
the hungfut dok bei kuen originated as reverence to a general who, while holding a child, fought off attackers and escaped. The set I beleive is primarily fut gar and the core derived from a one armed nun. I am not sure that the nun was a fut gar practicioner, or that the set or techs were just obsorbed by a practitioner that learned from her. I may be confusing it slightly, I will go back over my notes, but I think it's not too far off.

It's strange, I've seen both the Tai Yim and the Hung Kam Pui one armed forms and there nothing alike... But then again neither looks like ours either. Ours is still taught the same way.... once you learn the form you can only spar with one arm from now on anytime you spar.

Ben Gash
09-16-2009, 02:57 AM
I haven't learned the form, and they still make me fight one handed :(

jmd161
09-16-2009, 03:01 AM
I haven't learned the form, and they still make me fight one handed :(

Good practice, but it suxs if you're sparring someone pretty good that still has both hands and feet to spar with.:D lol

hskwarrior
09-16-2009, 10:01 AM
I've been practicing one armed fighting for many years now.....i've even sparred with sifu T. Dunwood's students using one arm in the past.

But, I got one for you that i've very rarely ever seen. Professor Lau Bun taught my Sigung Jew Leong a Hand Cuff form, or with your hands bound. we use hand cuffs today.

Does anyone here have a hand cuff form?

here's an aikido form using hand cuffs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLp2uaP8-TI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=480r15i6yDc

jmd161
09-16-2009, 10:08 AM
I've been practicing one armed fighting for many years now.....i've even sparred with sifu T. Dunwood's students using one arm in the past.

But, I got one for you that i've very rarely ever seen. Professor Lau Bun taught my Sigung Jew Leong a Hand Cuff form, or with your hands bound. we use hand cuffs today.

Does here have a hand cuff form?

here's an aikido form using hand cuffs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLp2uaP8-TI

I posted pics here about 4-5 yrs ago of our hand cuff form. I have the pics here somewhere just have to find them. The pics are from the 70's and shows the old wooden Chinese hand cuffs.

Jeff:)

hskwarrior
09-16-2009, 10:13 AM
oh very cool....pls do.

CLFNole
09-16-2009, 10:20 AM
The handcuff or bounded hands form goes way back to the Outlaws of the Marsh story. I believe the set is generally called Wu Song Breaks Manacles and refers to Wu Song fighting while being bound. Tai Sing Pek Kwar has this set (comes from the Pek Kwar portion).

brothernumber9
09-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I have not seen the Hak Fu Mun one arm set. I have seen a video montage of someone doing black tiger, the name was Chai/Tsai/Chao? part of one clip had him doing one arm techs, in a horse stance, the bit I saw was remarkably similar to how a few HF forms I know start somewhat. I ran into it while perusing links put up from one of the videos SPJ put up some time ago. THe site is chinese, so I don't know for sure that it is Hak Fu Mun. The caption said black tiger so I assumed it was since I remember you revealing Hak Fu Mun has a one arm form some years back.

I think the versions of the different HF branches I have seen are fairly similar. A few of the tech combos look relatively the same, although I don't know the set and it's nuances.
It is entirely possible, and maybe probable that Bok Mo Jiu taught Hung Keung Seng and others who learned the set, including his sons, different from one another. If so, it would be unfortunate in terms of consistency and exact order of techniques, but lends to an interesting broader exploration of the similarities and a potential sharing of the differences that can give all of us greater insight into Hung Fut and more generally any system that incorporates one arm sets.

jmd161
09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Okay, I was able to find the pics...

These are not the orignals, but these were used in Real Kung Fu magazine I think the name was... and are my sisuks.

Jeff:)

jmd161
09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I have not seen the Hak Fu Mun one arm set. I have seen a video montage of someone doing black tiger, the name was Chai/Tsai/Chao? part of one clip had him doing one arm techs, in a horse stance, the bit I saw was remarkably similar to how a few HF forms I know start somewhat. I ran into it while perusing links put up from one of the videos SPJ put up some time ago. THe site is chinese, so I don't know for sure that it is Hak Fu Mun. The caption said black tiger so I assumed it was since I remember you revealing Hak Fu Mun has a one arm form some years back.

I think the versions of the different HF branches I have seen are fairly similar. A few of the tech combos look relatively the same, although I don't know the set and it's nuances.
It is entirely possible, and maybe probable that Bok Mo Jiu taught Hung Keung Seng and others who learned the set, including his sons, different from one another. If so, it would be unfortunate in terms of consistency and exact order of techniques, but lends to an interesting broader exploration of the similarities and a potential sharing of the differences that can give all of us greater insight into Hung Fut and more generally any system that incorporates one arm sets.

I haven't been able to prove it yet, but I think (believe) Hung Fut and Hak Fu Mun are a lot closer related then people know. I find it odd that we share so many forms with Hung Fut and they look almost identical. I know our lineage of Hak Fu Mun shares many of your forms because my sigung learned his Hung Fut from Bok Mo Jiu directly. And he then incorparated much of it mainly the staff forms into our black tiger. My sigung loved the staff and it shows with us having around 6-7 different staff forms.

Back to the Hung Fut , Hak Fu Mun relation.... I've found at least two Hung Fut masters that know/knew Hak Fu Mun very well. Not to mention my sifu knows Hung Fut very well, i'm sure he learned it from sigung, but he rarely talks about Hung Fut. The same with the two Hung Fut masters... they have only passed on the Hak Fu Mun to one student each and neither speak of their Hak Fu Mun openly.

CLFNole
09-16-2009, 11:46 AM
There is more incest between southern styles than a trailer park in the Ozarks. :eek:

hskwarrior
09-16-2009, 01:36 PM
and there's only one trailor park!!!!

Drake
09-16-2009, 08:51 PM
There is more incest between southern styles than a trailer park in the Ozarks. :eek:

You mean central Florida? :eek: