PDA

View Full Version : New video from Chen Yong-Fa

extrajoseph
09-07-2009, 10:27 AM
CYF has just put up some new video on his new website and youtube, you may find you do things differently to one of Chan Heung's direct descendants, but at least you can see and hear some of the names in Cantonese for the movements as passed down by the family.

http://choyleefut.org/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/chanyongfa

Drake
09-07-2009, 10:41 AM
I kinda like this fella...

Hebrew Hammer
09-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Brings back fond memories...such a great system.

extrajoseph
09-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Not bad for someone who is nearly 60, don't just look at him, look at his students, a teacher is defined by his students.

hskwarrior
09-08-2009, 07:00 AM
group performance of Jeung Hung Sing's Fut San Hung Sing Kwoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwhtU7UPYw4

hskwarrior
09-08-2009, 07:14 AM
here's a nice buk sing Kwoon form.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Dvb2kZE4LuE/

Drake
09-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Not bad for someone who is nearly 60, don't just look at him, look at his students, a teacher is defined by his students.

And he's not fat. Overweight teachers give HORRIBLE first impressions. How can one say an art gets them into shape when the one teaching is ginormous? This guy is a lean mean machine.

hskwarrior
09-08-2009, 07:27 AM
don't hate on the ginormous. it's a sign of insecurity

extrajoseph
09-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Kung Fu and Health
By Ho Ngau

Exercising is vital to blood circulation and general well-being. Inactivity on the other hand, may result in listlessness and poor health. There is a large variety of exercises and sports. For simplicity, Chinese Kung Fu martial art is outstanding in this respect.
Good health and self-defense go hand in hand with Kung Fu and its practice. In exercising, it needs neither a partner nor special installation, and can take place anywhere. Despite the many varying styles and systems, Kung Fu is never divorced from its principle aim; that is good health and self-defense.

My only preference has always been for Choy Lee Fut style as established by Chan Heung. Practicing is divided into internal and external methods. The items to exercise include footwork, boxing forms, weapons, sparring, wooden dummy techniques stage of stance=footwork and boxing form are as follows: (1) Ng Lun Ma (five wheel stances) commonly known as Jarp Ma, (2) Ng Lun Tsui (five wheel punches) commonly known as Che Kuen. The five wheel stances consist of the basic practical footwork of the style. The stances are further distinguished by the low and high stance.

Firstly, there is the See Ping Ma (square stance). And the footwork demands that the stance be maintained in the correct posture when advancing, retreating or turning to the left or right. The others are Tiu Ma (tip-toe stance), Chin See Ma (clinging stance), Lok Kwai Ma (kneeling stance) and Tu Tan Ma (pushing-plucking stance).

The threshold to the boxing forms is in achieving thoroughness in footwork. The Ng Lun Tsui are Kwa Tsui (reverse punch), So Tsui (sweeping punch), Charp Tsui (straight punch), Cheong Ngan Tsui (eye-aiming punch) and Lui Yum Tsui (groin-aiming punch). All these when combined with Ng Lun Ma is very effective in coordinating movements.

Che Kuen and Jarp Ma is another way of saying Ng Lun Tsui and Ng Lun Ma. except Che Kuen Jarp Ma is not so much a name but more of a description or verbs on how to do things. That is one Che Kuen and Jarp Ma while doing Ng Lun Tsui and Ng Lun Ma.

extrajoseph
09-08-2009, 07:49 AM
don't hate on the ginormous. it's a sign of insecurity

It's a sign of obesity, neither good for health nor self defense.

Drake
09-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Great article, EJ.

hskwarrior
09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
nor self defense

ok.........sure.

sanjuro_ronin
09-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I like that clip of the bag and mitt work, good stuff.

Eric Olson
09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Hey what is that clip from?

Just noticed there is one of my old Sifu from the same demonstration....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rq9mOOaXsM&feature=related

Kung Fu and Health
By Ho Ngau

Exercising is vital to blood circulation and general well-being. Inactivity on the other hand, may result in listlessness and poor health. There is a large variety of exercises and sports. For simplicity, Chinese Kung Fu martial art is outstanding in this respect.
Good health and self-defense go hand in hand with Kung Fu and its practice. In exercising, it needs neither a partner nor special installation, and can take place anywhere. Despite the many varying styles and systems, Kung Fu is never divorced from its principle aim; that is good health and self-defense.

My only preference has always been for Choy Lee Fut style as established by Chan Heung. Practicing is divided into internal and external methods. The items to exercise include footwork, boxing forms, weapons, sparring, wooden dummy techniques stage of stance=footwork and boxing form are as follows: (1) Ng Lun Ma (five wheel stances) commonly known as Jarp Ma, (2) Ng Lun Tsui (five wheel punches) commonly known as Che Kuen. The five wheel stances consist of the basic practical footwork of the style. The stances are further distinguished by the low and high stance.

Firstly, there is the See Ping Ma (square stance). And the footwork demands that the stance be maintained in the correct posture when advancing, retreating or turning to the left or right. The others are Tiu Ma (tip-toe stance), Chin See Ma (clinging stance), Lok Kwai Ma (kneeling stance) and Tu Tan Ma (pushing-plucking stance).

The threshold to the boxing forms is in achieving thoroughness in footwork. The Ng Lun Tsui are Kwa Tsui (reverse punch), So Tsui (sweeping punch), Charp Tsui (straight punch), Cheong Ngan Tsui (eye-aiming punch) and Lui Yum Tsui (groin-aiming punch). All these when combined with Ng Lun Ma is very effective in coordinating movements.

Che Kuen and Jarp Ma is another way of saying Ng Lun Tsui and Ng Lun Ma. except Che Kuen Jarp Ma is not so much a name but more of a description or verbs on how to do things. That is one Che Kuen and Jarp Ma while doing Ng Lun Tsui and Ng Lun Ma.

CLFNole
09-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Some type of tourney/demo in Guangzhou.

diego
09-08-2009, 09:48 PM
It's a sign of obesity, neither good for health nor self defense.

sumotori would sit on bruce and jet:)

Ben Gash
09-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Not if they ran upstairs :D

Drake
09-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Not if they ran upstairs :D

Fat people are afraid of the stairs. :D

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2009, 05:35 AM
sumotori would sit on bruce and jet:)

In Japan, a nice belly is a sign of "hara", of being centered and grounded.
Not every culture views the ideal body type the same way, westerners tend to forget that.

David Jamieson
09-09-2009, 06:05 AM
In Japan, a nice belly is a sign of "hara", of being centered and grounded.
Not every culture views the ideal body type the same way, westerners tend to forget that.

well, in the west, a little paunch is expected when you are successful.

Obesity aside that is. The belt of success is worn by many over 35 males (and a lot of women too).

However, in the west, the meme is health and fitness etc.

Hence the fascination with celebrities and the attribution of more than what is there to people who superficially look good.

we are, en masse, clearly insane. :)

extrajoseph
09-09-2009, 07:13 AM
We are not talking about little paunch and belly here, we are talking about being ginormous and obese so hara for a nice belly but horror for a humongous one.

hskwarrior
09-09-2009, 07:16 AM
GOOD.....i can see my sausage and eggs without having to ask the bacon to move over. LOL......

extrajoseph
09-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Yea, you can relax...shavel, shavel.:D

http://www.health-fitness.com.au/australia-now-fattest-country-in-the-world/

hskwarrior
09-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Yea, you can relax

yeah....cause i got you on this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSoiau6kaYo

watch whole thing!!

extrajoseph
09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Obesity can be fixed, as for color blindness, I am not sure...:rolleyes:

Drake
09-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Obesity can be fixed, as for color blindness, I am not sure...:rolleyes:

Obesity in CLF doesn't make sense. I'm winded after training, and I'm friggin' athletic!

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Obesity in CLF doesn't make sense. I'm winded after training, and I'm friggin' athletic!

You know that, according to many "stats", many pro athletes are "obese".
Besides, if people can do what they can do regardless of what they look like, all the power to them !
LOL !

hskwarrior
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
as for color blindness, I am not sure

what does colorblindness have to do with fat folks.....

Drake
09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
You know that, according to many "stats", many pro athletes are "obese".
Besides, if people can do what they can do regardless of what they look like, all the power to them !
LOL !

That's just BMI, which was designed for sedentary people, not physically active people. I mean straight up bodyfat.

extrajoseph
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
what does colorblindness have to do with fat folks.....

Nothing, unless he can't tell the difference between a yellow and a black guy who is fat.

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2009, 09:41 AM
That's just BMI, which was designed for sedentary people, not physically active people. I mean straight up bodyfat.

If you are referring to BF %, even that is not accurate, I know many powerlifters that carry around 30% BF or more and they can do **** that would freak you out.
I know this one cat who competes in those strongest man competitons and he is in the 40+% in BF but the dude can lift a freaking hummer !

Drake
09-09-2009, 09:53 AM
If you are referring to BF %, even that is not accurate, I know many powerlifters that carry around 30% BF or more and they can do **** that would freak you out.
I know this one cat who competes in those strongest man competitons and he is in the 40+% in BF but the dude can lift a freaking hummer !

Most powerlifters, if not all, have gargantuan necks. Makes it hard for them to have a high bodyfat reading. I've been handling these things for over 10 years now, and the neck is key. We used to have soldiers do neck exercises with their helmets on in order to increase their neck size. If you have a neck at 18" or above, it's nearly impossible to have a BF reading higher than 23-24%.

We had a weightlifter in our unit, and when we taped him for bodyfat, he came out like 14% because of his neck.

I should also clarify. We use the tape test method to test bodyfat. It consists of measuring the neck and waist (just below the navel) three times. It's very accurate, and if anything, reads lower than actual due to someone perhaps sucking in their gut.

I don't trust the electrical pulse one, because there are too many factors that can skew readings.

What test are you referring to with BF and the powerlifters?

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Most powerlifters, if not all, have gargantuan necks. Makes it hard for them to have a high bodyfat reading. I've been handling these things for over 10 years now, and the neck is key. We used to have soldiers do neck exercises with their helmets on in order to increase their neck size. If you have a neck at 18" or above, it's nearly impossible to have a BF reading higher than 23-24%.

We had a weightlifter in our unit, and when we taped him for bodyfat, he came out like 14% because of his neck.

I should also clarify. We use the tape test method to test bodyfat. It consists of measuring the neck and waist (just below the navel) three times. It's very accurate, and if anything, reads lower than actual due to someone perhaps sucking in their gut.

I don't trust the electrical pulse one, because there are too many factors that can skew readings.

What test are you referring to with BF and the powerlifters?

Good question, not sure, but I recall while at York university seeing some guys ( Tack and football) doing the hydro test, the one in the water tank and all of them had a higher BF% than they thought, though they were still quite lean.

Drake
09-09-2009, 12:35 PM
We had some fatties who requested the water displacement test. We just said to be careful what you wish for... :rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I've learned not to judge anyone fighting skill or even athletic ability by their appearence.
I mean, look at Anderson Silva, or Penn or even Royce, Fedor, Lidell and so many more.

Drake
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I've learned not to judge anyone fighting skill or even athletic ability by their appearence.
I mean, look at Anderson Silva, or Penn or even Royce, Fedor, Lidell and so many more.

Just googled the images. Those guys are NOT obese. That's muscle dude... lots of bone crushing, body mangling muscle...

Even sumo pros aren't fat, fyi...

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Of course, none of those people look like a beached whale, but then again one can't discount the beached whale look, case in point Butterbean and Tank abbot.

Drake
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Of course, none of those people look like a beached whale, but then again one can't discount the beached whale look, case in point Butterbean and Tank abbot.

Chunky is ok... a lot of people have trouble having a lot of muscle and not accompanying fat, because it's hard to burn off the fat and keep the stocky build that makes them so effective. I'm talking obese. More fat than muscle.

diego
09-09-2009, 04:46 PM
i can't remember who it was but some popular guy said the one guy who he wouldn't fight is Sammo Hung...dude could back up his form with girth...jet and jackie and bruce were lightweights, dude said Sammo was an actual fighter...take any comers.:)

My great Grandpa boxed in the olympics 1928 i beleive while he was in the navy...he was 6 foot 2 inches 154 pounds...it's our genetics, I'm 6 foot 5 180 pounds...when he was old grandpa dude was like 300 pounds and not saggy...I can't wait to put on that genetic weight for proper power, i'm so happy at 60 years old I'll be 6 foot 5 260 lean muscle, which will be so good for self defense against street punks. i praise god every day for my genetics.

JAZA
09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Going back to original topic, take a llok a this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNn_lrjw_uA

CLFNole
09-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Chan Sifu seems to have a nice sense of humor.