PDA

View Full Version : Crescent kick(inside), below head level.

JackNate
09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Is this kick used much targeting the legs or body? People seem to practice it mostly at head level. And even then it doesn't seem to be that popular outside of forms or movies. I think it could have some advantages. Its easy to do at any height without stretching, unlikely to damage your foot(using the heel), quickly recovered, uses hips without having to turn so much.

The disadvantage I see is that its not too easy to do powerfully. Not like a roundhouse where you can be hitting pretty hard in a short period of training.

jdhowland
09-13-2009, 11:50 AM
In our White Crane it's one of four basic kicks, normally used when you are holding onto your opponent. Common below head targets are the arm, kidney area and knees.
jd

xcakid
09-13-2009, 06:49 PM
In our style of long fist we use this kick targeting knee on up. We use it as a block and a strike, although for block you would need to be really fast. Not feasible for a lot of people. I have managed it a time or two blocking roundhouse kicks with it.

JackNate
09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
I've never used it against roundhouse, but have swatted a few front and sidekicks out of harms way.

LSWCTN1
09-14-2009, 04:49 AM
one of my dads most favourite battle stories is about his brother who used one on a 'Gorilla in a human suit' doorman outside a bar when they were much younger.

the bouncer was supposedly that strong that he literall pulled apart a bar stool with his hands and charged at them with a leg from it. he took a crescent kick to the arm, which broke it. And one to the jaw, which broke that too.

David Jamieson
09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
one of my dads most favourite battle stories is about his brother who used one on a 'Gorilla in a human suit' doorman outside a bar when they were much younger.

the bouncer was supposedly that strong that he literall pulled apart a bar stool with his hands and charged at them with a leg from it. he took a crescent kick to the arm, which broke it. And one to the jaw, which broke that too.

was the bouncer made of chalk or something? lol

YouKnowWho
09-14-2009, 02:55 PM
The outside crescent kick can be used to escape any leg attack such as inner hook, outer hook, front cut, sweep, ...

Lucas
09-14-2009, 03:09 PM
inside will fake/recover to a sidekick nicely

JackNate
09-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Cool, I'm really digging some of these small kicks. Shovel kick, lotus kick, front kick, crescent kick. I originally did TKD so the rear roundhouse, sidekick, teep, and back kick is what I tend to revert to. Recently I've realised there is so many possible things to use. Its fun when you can kick trees (wearing shoes) with some of these kicks and not hurt your foot. I'm still married to the thai roundhouse of course though.

LSWCTN1
09-15-2009, 12:51 AM
was the bouncer made of chalk or something? lol

your a bit of a tool aren't you...

I said supposedly, as i wasnt there. I was contributing to the thread - you are just being an @ss

i heard the story from someone who was there at the time. its possibly embellished, but everytime i hear it it doesnt change. there is no reason for Dad to embellish it as he and his (older) brother are both well past their prime - and both have the scars to prove they used to practice outside of their classroom.

contribute or feck off

monkeyfoot
09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
your a bit of a tool aren't you...

I said supposedly, as i wasnt there. I was contributing to the thread - you are just being an @ss

i heard the story from someone who was there at the time. its possibly embellished, but everytime i hear it it doesnt change. there is no reason for Dad to embellish it as he and his (older) brother are both well past their prime - and both have the scars to prove they used to practice outside of their classroom.

contribute or feck off

yes I always got that impression...which is why I gave up arguing with him. Personally I'd just carry on and let him do 'his thing'...:rolleyes:

jmd161
09-16-2009, 02:53 AM
We don't use it much in Hak Fu Mun no high kicks for that matter. We use it like someone said for a block or even a stop kick, but very rarely are our kicks above the waist. We hide just about all our kicks... Our kicks are usually always to the legs or groin while engaging with the arms.

jeff:)

SanHeChuan
09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I've alway just thought of it as an in Close High kick, which is why It doesn't get alot of use. You either have to be sneaky and use the natural angle of the kick to blindside them, or you tie up their arms so they can't defend. Personally I've never used it low.

RenDaHai
09-18-2009, 02:26 AM
The inside cresent is typically used as a guarding kick. Not used to strike the opponent but to hit his arms, perhaps disarm him, or snap an arm.

If someone is standing square to you it is impossible to hit them in the face with this kick, your leg would have to overcome the obstacle of their shoulders before reaching the head, its too dangerous. However if the opponent is standing SIDE on.... I.e you two are standing like a 'T' you are square, he is side, you can kick him in the head unobstructed if you kick from the back of his body.... If you kick from the front he will see clearly and stop with his hands.

The second important thing is to remember not to use too much power. TO kick to the head relies on the kick being unseen. To do so the body must not move and telegraph the kick, only the leg moves. If you use a lot of power you will telegraph the kick. A leg is naturally heavy, it is always powerful even when you kick relaxed. In traditional kung fu most of the kicks are done without the upper body moving. (with the exception of the jumping kicks and the side kick).