PDA

View Full Version : WC Teachers in Los Angeles Area

rindge
09-13-2009, 11:30 AM
All, I am trying to identify WC coaches / teachers / school in the greater Los Angeles area. Via google I've come up with the following:

Gary Lam
Alan Lamb
Tom Wong
Robert Chu
Hawkin's school
Ernie Barrios
Todd Shawn Tei
Alan Peterson
Eric Oram...I think

Anybody heard of:
wong siu: does he still teach here in Los Angeles
Stanley wong: Does he still teach here in Los Angeles?

Are there others that I am missing? If so, please post their name and contact information. I'm trying to find a WC home in the LA. I've visited a couple of schools but am still looking.

Thanks as usual.

Rindge

couch
09-13-2009, 12:47 PM
If it were me, I'd check out Hawkins and Barrios clubs.

AdrianK
09-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Stay far far away from Todd Tei.

Gary Lam's place is legit, as is Robert Chu's. Hawkins is great I've had the pleasure of doing chi sao and sparring with a 1st and 3rd year student and their structure was very nice.

Phil Redmond
09-15-2009, 05:01 AM
If you want TWC Eric is the guy to go to of course. If not then Gary, Ernie, that
Chu guy...lol, are the ones I know of that are good. I do like Alan Lamb's approach to WC though since I studied with him.

CFT
09-15-2009, 05:19 AM
You're spoilt for choice really, you lucky so-and-so!

rindge
09-15-2009, 08:03 AM
CFT, one is not as spoiled for choice as you might think. On the web you read and hear things about people/schools. You then go meet them and maybe even train with them in person and things are slightly different. I just moved here to LA and also thought I would be spoiled as it relates to choice, but all is not as it seems :) I will say though, that meeting Ernie was quite fun and maybe one day I can train with him. I'd love to train with Alan Lamb, but he is only giving private lessons, which are a little pricey. Then there are the schools where you get the impression that money is the primary motivator vs teaching the art....yes those schools also exist out here in LA. I guess I am lucky in that I get to visit a lot of the schools, but not all of them seem so rosy when you actually visit in person :)

Part of the problem is that I am picky about where I spend my time and my money...I guess my sifu in Boston spoiled me. Sifu Cottrell in Dallas / Fort Worth also spoiled me. Sifu Cottrell's school is a great place with very talented senior students. If I could find a school like his out here in LA, then I would be happy.

Rindge

cha kuen
09-28-2009, 01:42 PM
wong siu teaches in LA, traditional leung sheung style. Monterey park actually.

I can't find the site, but it's online somehwere

rindge
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Cha Kuen, thanks. I was able to track down wong's kuen. I visited last week and hope to meet Wong sifu this evening.

Rindge