PDA

View Full Version : RIP Patrick Swayze - promoted Tai Chi

yutyeesam
09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
He died Monday of Pancreatic Cancer. One thing I learned when I started teaching is that a lot of people (in America) drew their frame of reference of Tai Chi from his movie Road House.

Skip J.
09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
He died Monday of Pancreatic Cancer. One thing I learned when I started teaching is that a lot of people (in America) drew their frame of reference of Tai Chi from his movie Road House.
RIP Patrick......

and he was a local guy too...

BoulderDawg
09-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Roadhouse was always one of my guilty pleasures.

Swayze seemed like a stand up guy. Pancreatic Cancer is one of the more painful ways to go.

GeneChing
09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Wolverines!

I hear they're remaking Red Dawn but instead of Russians, it'll be Red Chinese. Maybe they'll be wushu fights. We can only hope.

uki
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Wolverines!****... you beat me - red dawn is one of the greats!!!

I hear they're remaking Red Dawn but instead of Russians, it'll be Red Chinese. Maybe they'll be wushu fights. We can only hope.ridiculous... there can be only one red dawn. :mad:

sanjuro_ronin
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM

Which is funny sense his trainer and the choreographer of that movie was benny "the jet" Urquidez.

yutyeesam
09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Which is funny sense his trainer and the choreographer of that movie was benny "the jet" Urquidez.

Did not know that! No wonder it looked all glorified kickboxy! :D

Seriously tho, I wonder what the jet has been up to. He was badarse.

sanjuro_ronin
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Did not know that! No wonder it looked all glorified kickboxy! :D

Seriously tho, I wonder what the jet has been up to. He was badarse.

Benny's system of Ukidokan is badass also.
he's been doing his stuff, movies, teaching, training and coaching.
Uber-cool dude.
His fight scene in Gross Pointe Blank with is student John Cuzak was great.

yutyeesam
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Benny's system of Ukidokan is badass also.
he's been doing his stuff, movies, teaching, training and coaching.
Uber-cool dude.
His fight scene in Gross Pointe Blank with is student John Cuzak was great.

Man! I forgot he was a teacher to the hollywood stars.
I saw this documentary on him a while back on youtube, and it was crazy - I've always known and read about him in the 80's, how he'd basically go to other countries and kick their arse in the ring, so I expected him to be a super intense guy.

Totally mellow and laid back in his interview.

I think I also read somewhere that Jackie Chan wanted to challenge him, but then saw footage of his real fights, and said Eff that! :D

Boston Bagua
09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
RIP Mr. Swayze.

Jimbo
09-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I was sorry to hear about Patrick Swayze's passing. Oddly, when I heard about it, I kept imagining the very end scene in Ghost when his character finally crosses over.