PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Warriors

GeneChing
09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Enter to win BATTLE OF THE WARRIORS on DVD (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html)

BATTLE OF THE WARRIORS was released on September 8th, 2009 by the good people at Dragon Dynasty. (www.dragondynasty.com)

Contest ends on 6:00 p.m. PST on 9/22/09. Good luck everyone!

Hebrew Hammer
09-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Has anyone seen this movie? I must admit I am intrigued...

GeneChing
09-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Congrats to our Battle of the Warriors DVD winners (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55309).

BotW is ancient battlefield epic, Chinese-style, much in the wake of Hero and Red Cliff. Despite boasting the same action director as Hero, this is not a martial arts flick. It's a castle siege flick (and who here doesn't love those?) The sets and costumes are big and opulent. The story is ok - it's based on some manga that's based on some ancient Chinese history or something - plenty of cliche moments: General vs. General, star-crossed lovers, commoners trying to make their way in war. There's a great chess scene. Andy Lau plays a brooding mozi, which in this film is a jedi-like warrior with a keen tactical sense but is constantly ruminating about all the destruction in his wake. There was an overwhelming theme of the cost of war - lots of scene of dead bodies and carnage, some gorgeous in execution, others a tad tiresome. There's a few big battlefield scenes, especially in the initial attack which happens about mid-film. That was the film's climax for me. Nothing like some big battlefield warfare and a castle siege. This nice thing with Chinese flicks is that it's not all Lord of the Rings CGI. It's armies of real people in period costumes. It must be an awesome effort to put those scenes together. I wish I could have seen that on the big silver screen. I'm not sure my widescreen HDTV did that justice.

Hebrew Hammer
09-27-2009, 09:27 PM
I just picked this up at blockbuster this weekend. I enjoyed it, good storyline, complex, political, not much in the way of martial arts but some interesting battle scenes. I give it four left hooks out of possible five.