PDA

View Full Version : an authentic shaolin temple, right here in NJ!

TenTigers
09-16-2009, 09:55 PM
http://www.shaolintemplenj.com/

:rolleyes:

shaolinexecutioner
09-16-2009, 10:05 PM
What makes you think this is authentic? The paint job? :p

TenTigers
09-16-2009, 10:25 PM
well, hyeah...:p

Dragonzbane76
09-17-2009, 05:38 AM
nice school. Hardwoood nice nice... lots of room.. nice nice... paint nice nice.. weapons/wooden dummies... nice nice

And to pay for all this... well we'll need your first born to put into slavery to make money and your daughter as well for purpose of prostituion, she has to be young to.

So if your willing to take those costs then this place is for you. :)

Ray Pina
09-17-2009, 06:50 AM
The place is beautiful.

Those guys must be tough! Doing full takedowns on hardwood floors and sparring around beams and wooden men and fireplaces. They must have wonderful body conditioning.

lkfmdc
09-17-2009, 07:06 AM
and yet, there will be a line outside his door of people who want to say they train in a shaolin temple :rolleyes:

Drake
09-17-2009, 07:26 AM
That's one hell of a nice web site.

Ray Pina
09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Classy all the way for sure.

bawang
09-17-2009, 08:16 AM
their sparring videos look very nice

TenTigers
09-17-2009, 08:30 AM
what impressed me most was their calligraphy.
I love the strokes, the proportion, and especially the meaning behind the characters.
I was also intrigued by their interpetation of the Five Animals and how they work against each other.
One can tell at a glance that the teacher must certainly be a Scholar Warrior, and most definately an authentic Shaolin Monk.

bawang
09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
technically taijiquan is shaolinquan so they do actually teach real shaolin lewl

Drake
09-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I would attend on the basis of their classiness alone. Presentation goes a long way. Sifu Ross should be taking notes. :D

David Jamieson
09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
From that site:

"Shaolin Ch'an or Shaolin Art of Fists..."

also, apparently they believe the character "fu" in kungfu" means "man".
??? + ???

Pretty much sums up just how bogus it is.

also, for a eyebrow raising funfest, read the about shaolin section.

apparently the yi jin jing accredits bodhidharma with the founding of kungfu!

I didn't know the yi jin jing accredited people with stuff!

teh awesome!

Lucas
09-17-2009, 10:56 AM
who is the sifu there?

David Jamieson
09-17-2009, 01:16 PM
who is the sifu there?

well, it could be Jay z. He thinks he's a freemason too, but he ain't. lol
so, he could be setting up a pretend shaolin temple where he can put all his pretend freemason stuff!

TenTigers
09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
well, it could be Jay z. He thinks he's a freemason too, but he ain't. lol
so, he could be setting up a pretend shaolin temple where he can put all his pretend freemason stuff!
DJ, you a travellin' man?

LFJ
09-17-2009, 02:35 PM

that is one of the meanings:
http://usa.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqb=%E5%A4%AB

perhaps the "sutra" (jing), or literature, not the qigong set itself. :)

mickey
09-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Greetings,

Why go through all of that and not stand in front of the camera? That was a freakin waste of my time.

By the way, I learned that fu meant "man" a long time ago. Kung Fu is the image of a hard working man, discpline through committment and surrender. It is because of that early understanding that Gene still manages to confuse me with his "good web fu" statements. :)

mickey

LFJ
09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
seriously though, who is the master here? why is there absolutely no mention of who it is?

the calligraphy looks like a non-chinese painted it....

David Jamieson
09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
that is one of the meanings:
http://usa.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqb=%E5%A4%AB

perhaps the "sutra" (jing), or literature, not the qigong set itself. :)

If I may, in context to "kungfu" that is the wrong meaning. And I don't even speak Chinese in any form. :-)

http://usa.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=chardict&cdqman=kung+fu&cdrbst=0&cdmantmce=0

as you can see, there are many meanings, literally dozens of different meanings for "fu"

In context to Kungfu, it is most widely accepted that it is pertaining to time. Or more essentially I think "repetition". :D

mickey
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi David Jamieson,

I got that from the term Kung Fu. "Time" was understood. Now I understand the literal.

Thank you.

mickey

Cappadonna
09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
From that site:

"Shaolin Ch'an or Shaolin Art of Fists..."

??? + ???

Pretty much sums up just how bogus it is.

also, for a eyebrow raising funfest, read the about shaolin section.

teh awesome!

actually at my school (Wah Lum) the handbook says that "fu" also means man. and Wah Lum is pretty legit.

regardless of that, the website is fantastic and the kwoon looks beautiful

wuseng33
09-17-2009, 05:11 PM
I also agree with the above coments of how if the school is nice it disnt mean the teaching is bad. however unless i missed it i find it strange that the shifu dosnt seem to be mentioned on the website and video clips on the website are made up of famous gongfu movies? if this is the kind of gongfu that is beeing taught although in its own right is very enteritaining to watch is not what id be heading there for. on another note the reality of most kungfu schools in china are the kungfu is taught in parks, peoples houses and sweaty stinky concrete training halls and the like.

LFJ
09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
If I may, in context to "kungfu" that is the wrong meaning. And I don't even speak Chinese in any form. :-)

not necessarily, see......

http://usa.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=chardict&cdqman=kung+fu&cdrbst=0&cdmantmce=0

as you can see, there are many meanings, literally dozens of different meanings for "fu"

actually, those are dozens of different characters with similiar (not all exact, some have different tones) pronunciations, romanized as "fu". while the character used in gongfu is only one; 夫

In context to Kungfu, it is most widely accepted that it is pertaining to time. Or more essentially I think "repetition". :D

yes, and how so? because the character meaning "man" is used. one is not a man when they are born. they must grow through stages. training is like that. so the character in fact means "man", yet gives the sense of "time" to the idea of gongfu training. but "time" is never a possible meaning of the character. it is only an implication in this context. :)

TenTigers
09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I also agree with the above coments of how if the school is nice it disnt mean the teaching is bad. however unless i missed it i find it strange that the shifu dosnt seem to be mentioned on the website and video clips on the website are made up of famous gongfu movies? if this is the kind of gongfu that is beeing taught although in its own right is very enteritaining to watch is not what id be heading there for. on another note the reality of most kungfu schools in china are the kungfu is taught in parks, peoples houses and sweaty stinky concrete training halls and the like.

no, we are all being politely sarcastic.
The reality is, the school says Southern Siu Lum and there is no indication of that being taught.
The caligraphy is written incorrectly as far as stroke, proportion, etc meaning it was copied from something else, poorly, and not written by someone who knows Chinese writing-certainly not a Shaolin Monk.
The words for body was incorrectly written as "Taai," and should be 'Sun."
The word for mind is "Sum," not "Lo," which means brain.
This leads one to believe that they used a dictionary, and are not only NOT Chinese, but couldn't even find someone Chinese to do this for them.
Their interpetation of the Five Animals was not in alignment with the way Southern Siu-Lum is played.
but it is a beautiful website and school.

Ray Pina
09-18-2009, 10:07 AM
You got to love Kung Fu.... so much bull$hit with everything when all you need is a mouthpiece and cup and you don't even need them.

Lucas
09-18-2009, 10:46 AM
i dont understand why someone would go through all the trouble if having such a nice website and school built and then hide behind a mask of anonymity....

Drake
09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
You got to love Kung Fu.... so much bull$hit with everything when all you need is a mouthpiece and cup and you don't even need them.

Because not everyone enjoys murder death kill external battling. Believe it or not, a lot of people do it for health reasons.

bawang
09-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Because not everyone enjoys murder death kill external battling. Believe it or not, a lot of people do it for health reasons.

a shaolin monk said "once you join a flowery school you entire life is wasted" i also posted this on another message. i think its a very important message.

theres nothing enlightening about doing a empty dance. you can get same health benefits from doing some pushups.
when i see people disgracing kung fu i get into a rage and drink beer and smash a watermelon

i dont understand why someone would go through all the trouble if having such a nice website and school built and then hide behind a mask of anonymity....

its called fraud. i really thought it a shaolin school until i saw the word "south" on the ceiling lol. i think its a hung gar school and probably not a good one

Drake
09-18-2009, 11:56 AM
a shaolin monk said "once you join a flowery school you entire life is wasted" i also posted this on another message. i think its a very important message.

theres nothing enlightening about doing a empty dance. you can get same health benefits from doing some pushups.
when i see people disgracing kung fu i get into a rage and drink beer and smash a watermelon

its called fraud. i really thought it a shaolin school until i saw the word "south" on the ceiling lol. i think its a hung gar school and probably not a good one

I was referring to the comment about kung fu in general. There's always frauds, no matter what you are into.

bawang
09-18-2009, 12:10 PM
hey dude
my answer is still fraud. if they actually showed themselves people would find out its actually hung ga lol

Drake
09-18-2009, 12:38 PM
hey dude
my answer is still fraud. if they actually showed themselves people would find out its actually hung ga lol

I'm not saying they are or aren't. I was just talking in general terms. They do have a snazzy website, though.

Lucas
09-18-2009, 01:09 PM

lol, you must have a lot of beer and watermelons around.

David Jamieson
09-19-2009, 04:24 AM
DJ, you a travellin' man?

:D

from a long line, but I have actually never entered.

It doesn't seem like the right time yet. I can do charity without it for now.
Maybe when I'm older, I'll enter.

TenTigers
09-19-2009, 06:15 AM

from a long line, but I have actually never entered.

It doesn't seem like the right time yet. I can do charity without it for now.
Maybe when I'm older, I'll enter.
good point. Although they are trying to get a younger crowd in, when I entered, in my late thirties, I was the youngest member. Everyone else had grey and white hair.
(now I fit in)

Rolling Fists
09-19-2009, 10:29 AM
who is the sifu there?

Looks like it's Sifu(?) Roylee Filler
http://www.amsinvestor.com/pdf/augnews..pdf

David Jamieson
09-20-2009, 07:55 AM
so, he figures he's entitled to use the Shaolin moniker why?
I mean, he's gone as far as to put up a placard that says "shaolin temple"

But there's nothing in his bio about having any connection to shaolin.

just another "i was a sick kid who met a canny witch doctor" story (which has been used by a few guys already).

lkfmdc
09-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Looks like it's Sifu(?) Roylee Filler
http://www.amsinvestor.com/pdf/augnews..pdf

wonderful fluff piece with no real info

sifu ho? (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pNJFZtinpKY/RiLTCM4p6bI/AAAAAAAAArM/hfckaTiKL34/s400/Don-Ho.gif)

Lucas
09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
well his connection to the Shaolin Temple, as far as using the name and claiming a temple, is hazy and questionable. I dont doubt however his practice of Shaolin Kungfu, thats not too hard to come by, especially if you live in China for that many years.

Gotta give him props for being a HK stuntman though, thats got to be a tough gig. Black Mask is a rad movie, I wonder what scene(s) hes in.

All in all though, his community oriented mission does seem genuine. Which IMO is commendable, and much more than others do with their kungfu and their positions as teachers in their communities.

I especially wish him well with his foster child program.

David Jamieson
09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I hope he doesn't have a penchant for worshippers and large kool-aid vats.

When you found something on shaky ground, it will have difficulty staying standing in the long run.

Lucas
09-24-2009, 10:57 AM
lol lets hope not. hopefully hes just a very enthusiastic person. id like to know who his teacher was, but i cant dig anything up on him.

it looks like they have a facebook? i dont know how that works though, maybe more info there. meh, im lazy

solo1
09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
what a beautiful website but as was said before who are the teachers? cant find anything about them or thier experiance. The music on the site is amazing any idea who it is or how to get ones hands on it?

David Jamieson
09-24-2009, 12:55 PM
what a beautiful website but as was said before who are the teachers? cant find anything about them or thier experiance. The music on the site is amazing any idea who it is or how to get ones hands on it?

the site is flash.

grab a copy of -sothink swf decompiler- and grab yourself some tunes!

muwhahahahahaha!

solo1
09-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Where in Ontario are you? toronto? Go Leafs!

David Jamieson
09-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Where in Ontario are you? toronto? Go Leafs!

I live in Markham. Just north east of T.O.