PDA

View Full Version : Great quote from Pete Carroll in latest Esquire

MasterKiller
09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
While watching kids try and fail to do basic line-blocking drills in summer minicamp:

From discipline and repetition comes the ability to improvise and be creative. If you try to be creative and improvise without the discipline, you get chaos. But once you have all the discipline, once you take care of all the details, you can play with it. You gain the ability to add accent, to improvise with trust and confidence, to make it into jazz.

sanjuro_ronin
09-22-2009, 07:17 AM
While watching kids try and fail to do basic line-blocking drills in summer minicamp:

Someone has understood the way.

GeneChing
09-22-2009, 09:54 AM
I was going to post a pic of a dominitrix, but this came up on an image search faster and worked better.

http://www.joseismael.com/images/discipline550.jpg

There.

Pandora's box is open.

Go for it, Sanjuro_Ronin.

David Jamieson
09-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I was going to post a pic of a dominitrix, but this came up on an image search faster and worked better.

*snip*

There.

Pandora's box is open.

Go for it, Sanjuro_Ronin.

omfg, did you just enable the [img] tags?

You do realize that you've made a grave mistake don't you?

SR's stuff is mild, but GDA may get drunk some evening and pollute every forum in here with bukkake shots. It could happen!

then you'll have to restrict your forum members to 17+

I mean, I'll have fun with it, but where is the line, I can't see a line anywhere! lol

lkfmdc
09-22-2009, 10:00 AM
dear lord, a new forum feature!

BoulderDawg
09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't think discipline is a necessary proponent here for creativity. One has to look at painters. These are some of the most creative people in the world....yet many have a reputation of being totall undisciplined.

He also mentioned Jazz....I would not exactly mention Jazz musicians and discipline in the same breath!:D

However, from my experience in my school, Kung Fu is not so much an art as it is a skill. I've never been encouraged to take my skills and create a new form.

GeneChing
09-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Y'all be crying out for me to activate the img function. When we launched the OT forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20), it was on and that hasn't exploded. It just took me a spell to figure out how to turn it on for all the forums (actually that was easy - the 'on' button was obvious - I just missed it the first time and never went back until recently). And truth be told, I'm more intimidated by lkfmdc's glorified photoshop-jitsu than a drunk GDA. ;)

Besides, we got something cooking for next week where we'll need it. Stay tuned. :cool:

lkfmdc
09-22-2009, 10:17 AM
truth be told, I'm more intimidated by lkfmdc's glorified photoshop-jitsu

(evil laughter echoes in the forum)

sanjuro_ronin
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Hmmm, a test is needed....

sanjuro_ronin
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Hmmmm, must have did something wrong...

lkfmdc
09-22-2009, 10:22 AM
testing testing

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5453&d=1253639940

GeneChing
09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
See? I knew this would be fun. :p

BoulderDawg
09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Where's the Pete Carroll nude?

sanjuro_ronin
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Unfair !!!!

MasterKiller
09-22-2009, 10:33 AM
We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos We need to be able to embed videos

MasterKiller
09-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't think discipline is a necessary proponent here for creativity. One has to look at painters. These are some of the most creative people in the world....yet many have a reputation of being totall undisciplined.

He also mentioned Jazz....I would not exactly mention Jazz musicians and discipline in the same breath!:D

However, from my experience in my school, Kung Fu is not so much an art as it is a skill. I've never been encouraged to take my skills and create a new form.

http://www.harrybliss.com/store/images/missing_the_point.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
09-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Now you guys are just teasing !!

BoulderDawg
09-22-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.harrybliss.com/store/images/missing_the_point.jpg

I'm judging this simply on creativity. I think being a good football player or martial artist has nothing to do with creativity in my opinion. As a matter of fact it may be a hinderance. You don't want to get too cute and creative when you're about to get your head knocked off.

Also, a very creative person might not have the dedication or inclination to do drills 3 hours a day for 7 days a week.

MasterKiller
09-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm judging this simply on creativity. I think being a good football player or martial artist has nothing to do with creativity in my opinion. As a matter of fact it may be a hinderance. You don't want to get too cute and creative when you're about to get your head knocked off.

Also, a very creative person might not have the dedication or inclination to do drills 3 hours a day for 7 days a week.

Great architects have to be able to build a solid brick wall, but brick layers don't have to be great archiects.

BoulderDawg
09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Great architects have to be able to build a solid brick wall, but brick layers don't have to be great archiects.

Do they? Maybe they just have a creative talent to make interesting new things with the brick walls.

In a similar fashion, I don't have to be a great player to be a great coach. As a matter of fact down though sports history the top players of any particular sport were never really recognized as top coaches. A few star players achieved success but most could not transfer the knowledge. On the other hand most of the best coaches played the game and knew the game but never really achieved greatness playing.

A thought when you realize the top teachers/masters in MA/Kung Fu are only the ones who achieved great things as a student.

sanjuro_ronin
09-22-2009, 11:59 AM
A thought when you realize the top teachers/masters in MA/Kung Fu are only the ones who achieved great things as a student.

Where did you get that idea??
Some of the best boxing coaches where "journey men" at best.