PDA

View Full Version : jiu wan wing chun

deejaye72
09-23-2009, 10:38 AM
anybody here train in jiu wan wing chun? i'm looking for stories or anyone who trained with his students, as there is not alot of information on him.

hunt1
09-23-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=WCP.JiuWan

A place to start. Also Jiu Wans son has a website as well.

LSWCTN1
09-24-2009, 01:10 AM
anybody here train in jiu wan wing chun? i'm looking for stories or anyone who trained with his students, as there is not alot of information on him.

both my lineages that i have studied have Jui Wan influence, through Lee Shing and Ng Chun Hong.

however, i couldnt point out the differences between the approaches as both Lee Shing and Ng Chun Hong also learnt from others. My instructor does however hold Jui Wan in a similar light to WSL so that can only be a good thing. I am also under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that my instructor believes Jui Wan to have surpassed Ip Mans skill level

before anyone starts to go doolally at that statement - Ip Man did admit that Chu Shong Tin had surpassed his own skill level supposedly? Cant say for definate - i wasnt there

i do know that Jui Wan was supposedly the only man with written authority to teach his wck. Many others had the authority, but i think I'm right in remembering that Jui Wan had a handwritten scroll along the lines of 'Wing Chun - in the true tradition' or somesuch

CFT
09-24-2009, 03:06 AM
i do know that Jui Wan was supposedly the only man with written authority to teach his wck. Many others had the authority, but i think I'm right in remembering that Jui Wan had a handwritten scroll along the lines of 'Wing Chun - in the true tradition' or somesuchI thought more than one Yip Man student had that calligraphy? Usually it's a gwoon opening present.

"Wing Chun chuen jing tung, wah haa tsun hung fung"?

bennyvt
09-24-2009, 03:21 AM
the traditional scrolls are ving tsun passed down correctly, making a nation stronger. I have them.

Vajramusti
09-24-2009, 05:56 AM
I am also under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that my instructor believes Jui Wan to have surpassed Ip Mans skill level

before anyone starts to go doolally at that statement - Ip Man did admit that Chu Shong Tin had surpassed his own skill level supposedly? Cant say for definate - i wasnt there
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doesn't take much to create rumors and spread them.

joy chaudhuri

deejaye72
09-24-2009, 07:00 AM
cool thanks guys,i have heard that jiu wan was very skilled. i'm just wanting to learn more about him,there is not alot of info about him as he wasnt as famous as yip man.

we come from the jiu wan-jason lau lineage.i love the training but,i also love the history,any info is appreciated

LSWCTN1
09-24-2009, 09:32 AM
I am also under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that my instructor believes Jui Wan to have surpassed Ip Mans skill level

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doesn't take much to create rumors and spread them.

joy chaudhuri

http://www.cebridge.com.au/Ipman/Sifus/Tsui%20Seung%20Tin.htm

http://kungfuray.vox.com/library/posts/tags/chu+shong+tin/

took just a couple of minutes to find on google. anyway, is the goal of the instructor not to have his students surpass even his own skill level?

why the 'sheesh' and hostility Joy?

chusauli
09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
No hostility, but curious how Jiu Wan surpassed Yip Man's skill level? What was better, how did he improve over Yip Man's WCK.

My early start was by a friend who trained in HK under Jiu Wan...basic course taught to most <cough> "boys from the hood" in HK was SNT, Pak Sao, Lop Da, Dan Chi Sao, some CK shifts, then lots of Chi Sao and distance fighting/free fighting.

I also had a senior student of mine from HK who studied with artist Cheung Hung and Jiu Wan (Both students of Yip Man). Jiu Wan's students were varied in profession. Some of the kids were making makeshift undergarment armor with metal plates so they could walk into each other's punches.

From what I saw of Jiu Wan's lineage is not much different than that taught in most Yip Man branches. But since what I mostly saw from my "hood" friend was basic and from my student was up to the pole, I don't see what is the major difference. I also had other students from Francis Fong and Jason Lau, but again, did not see much difference from what Yip Man taught. BTW, all the Yip Man signatures were in Jiu Wan's WCK, and since Yip Man taught Jiu Wan's uncle in Futshan (Chiu Chow), it would make sense it was pretty much the same as Yip Man taught.

Vajramusti
09-24-2009, 03:29 PM
[url]http://www.cebridge.com.au/Ipman/Sifus/Tsui
why the 'sheesh' and hostility Joy?
__________________________________________________ _____________
One can often and easily find a comment or quote that suits one's fancy.
I have met Jason Lau (Jiu Wan line)years ago in Houston. He has had good fighters among his students.
I respect Tsui tsong Ting as an elder. I have met him and rolled with him in SF.
I doubt that he would say or that WSL would say that TST surpassed Ip man. Ater Ip man quit teaching and was ill- he could refer novice inquirers to different people including TST.
Sure it's nice for a student to surpass his teacher-nice when it happens. But whether it actually happened in this case is a different matter. No point to your earlier post. How does it help further the understanding of wing chun?.

joy chaudhuri

LSWCTN1
09-24-2009, 04:13 PM
No hostility, but curious how Jiu Wan surpassed Yip Man's skill level? What was better, how did he improve over Yip Man's WCK.

My early start was by a friend who trained in HK under Jiu Wan...basic course taught to most <cough> "boys from the hood" in HK was SNT, Pak Sao, Lop Da, Dan Chi Sao, some CK shifts, then lots of Chi Sao and distance fighting/free fighting.

I also had a senior student of mine from HK who studied with artist Cheung Hung and Jiu Wan (Both students of Yip Man). Jiu Wan's students were varied in profession. Some of the kids were making makeshift undergarment armor with metal plates so they could walk into each other's punches.

From what I saw of Jiu Wan's lineage is not much different than that taught in most Yip Man branches. But since what I mostly saw from my "hood" friend was basic and from my student was up to the pole, I don't see what is the major difference. I also had other students from Francis Fong and Jason Lau, but again, did not see much difference from what Yip Man taught. BTW, all the Yip Man signatures were in Jiu Wan's WCK, and since Yip Man taught Jiu Wan's uncle in Futshan (Chiu Chow), it would make sense it was pretty much the same as Yip Man taught.

my teacher and i were having a conversation about Ip Man, Jui Wan, and Ng Chun Hong and also my instructors time with another sifu. the line said was along the lines of 'sometime, you know, a student surpasses the skill level of his teacher'. this was after discussing how Jui Wan already knew wing chun before he met Ip Man, and how much Ip Man furthered his studies. hell, maybe he was even reffering to me to stop talking and start training (it was about an hour and a half after class though...)!

ps: are you sure about Ip Man and Jui Chow, i'm not saying it didnt happen, but i would have guessed, logically, that Jui Chow started wck before IM was even born, no?

__________________________________________________ _____________
One can often and easily find a comment or quote that suits one's fancy.
I have met Jason Lau (Jiu Wan line)years ago in Houston. He has had good fighters among his students.
I respect Tsui tsong Ting as an elder. I have met him and rolled with him in SF.
I doubt that he would say or that WSL would say that TST surpassed Ip man. Ater Ip man quit teaching and was ill- he could refer novice inquirers to different people including TST.
Sure it's nice for a student to surpass his teacher-nice when it happens. But whether it actually happened in this case is a different matter. No point to your earlier post. How does it help further the understanding of wing chun?.

joy chaudhuri

sorry, i may not have explained myself clearly. my reference to TST surpassing Ip Man was not made by my sifu, nor by TST or WSL. i read that Ip Man said that himself. as i said from the start - it could be wrong

i wasnt trying to further the understanding of wing chun, i was trying to provide some information that the thread starter asked for, not trying to start wars here Joy - either with you, or anyone else for that matter. i just think that you responded in a hostile way when i didnt see the need for it. your post didnt further anyones understanding either - but you accused me of not doing the same

all the best anyway :)

Vajramusti
09-24-2009, 05:41 PM
No hostility and no worries.

joy chaudhuri