PDA

View Full Version : ATTN School Owners

Ray Pina
09-24-2009, 02:17 PM
How likely would you be to hire a martial arts consultant... Someone who could fine tune existing technique and training methods? Someone who could take existing methods and show you how to train them in a manner to be more useful? Someone to show how modern fighters are training? Or traditional methods (external and internal) and BJJ.

What value would this have? What would it be worth?

Would someone coming to you, working at your school with you and your students or you going to a seminar location with other teachers be more attractive?

TenTigers
09-24-2009, 10:14 PM
it sounds cool. Who do you know who does this?

I do this with my SPM teacher. I show him ways that I apply certain technique and he tweaks it and fine tunes it, or sometimes just shows me a much better way of doing it.

SanHeChuan
09-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I think if you tell them you’re going to improve the instructor’s technique, they might take offense. As long as you can frame it without challenging their EGO.... :cool:

But if you offer them new services that they don't provided or are looking to expand, like BJJ or modern sport training methods it could work. I think it is more common for schools to hire teachers of other arts/methods that the instructor does not have expertise in than some kind of MA personal trainer.

I think you would have a better time marketing yourself as an additional Instructor/Trainer to expand the number classes, and increase appeal to a wider variety of students. Rather than to offer to train the instructor himself.

My pervious sifu in Austin, affiliated himself with The PITT for MMA, and a local Olympic sports trainer. He travelled to train with them, and then provided most of the training himself, but he did offer a few seminars to the students with the local sports trainer. I think since I left he has hired on a MMA trainer, but I not sure what the working relationship is there. :confused:

I doubt you'd have this problem but remember to be respectful. My Shorin Ryu Sensei had a BJJ instructor in his school, but the BJJ dude was always bad mouthing Karate, so it didn't last long.

You should had a clear detailed plan of exactly what you are offering, something you could put in print for marketing purposes.

Offer them the same price they ask for private lessons, seminars, and the like.

David Jamieson
09-25-2009, 09:55 AM
I think if you tell them you’re going to improve the instructor’s technique, they might take offense. As long as you can frame it without challenging their EGO.... :cool:

But if you offer them new services that they don't provided or are looking to expand, like BJJ or modern sport training methods it could work. I think it is more common for schools to hire teachers of other arts/methods that the instructor does not have expertise in than some kind of MA personal trainer.

I think you would have a better time marketing yourself as an additional Instructor/Trainer to expand the number classes, and increase appeal to a wider variety of students. Rather than to offer to train the instructor himself.

My pervious sifu in Austin, affiliated himself with The PITT for MMA, and a local Olympic sports trainer. He travelled to train with them, and then provided most of the training himself, but he did offer a few seminars to the students with the local sports trainer. I think since I left he has hired on a MMA trainer, but I not sure what the working relationship is there. :confused:

I doubt you'd have this problem but remember to be respectful. My Shorin Ryu Sensei had a BJJ instructor in his school, but the BJJ dude was always bad mouthing Karate, so it didn't last long.

You should had a clear detailed plan of exactly what you are offering, something you could put in print for marketing purposes.

Offer them the same price they ask for private lessons, seminars, and the like.

It goes both ways. The whole sense of self importance or that something really special is on offer has to be done away with. Fighting isn't rocket science after all.

Approach it matter of factly with a cut and dried synopsis of what is offered.
Don't offer to train trainers. Offer new methods entirely and people will add them into their routines.

when someone goes in and starts presuming to correct something that has many variables to begin with, that's not going to go over well and will be working against what is desired to be achieved.

structural training and strength development are pretty much same same.

trying to push mma on a trad gym won't go well at all, but working it in softly will go over a lot better.

just sayin.

also, martial arts schools usually don't have a lot of money and don't hire consultants to help them promote their martial arts. but teachers are known to go for seminars and add that stuff into the regimen after they absorb it. That happens all the time.

MasterKiller
09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
also, martial arts schools usually don't have a lot of money and don't hire consultants to help them promote their martial arts. but teachers are known to go for seminars and add that stuff into the regimen after they absorb it. That happens all the time. this

Either start offering seminars and see who bites, or just open your own gym and train the way you want (which is what I did).

I don't think anyone is going to pay you much to come in and restructure their program. Boxing/Muay Thai/BJJ/Judo/Wrestling guys are all over the place. It's not hard to find a sport-minded person to come in and run some classes these days.

karateguy
09-26-2009, 12:55 PM
this

Either start offering seminars and see who bites, or just open your own gym and train the way you want (which is what I did).

I don't think anyone is going to pay you much to come in and restructure their program. Boxing/Muay Thai/BJJ/Judo/Wrestling guys are all over the place. It's not hard to find a sport-minded person to come in and run some classes these days.

I agree. they are generally small businesses with smaller budgets. seminars are the way to go.

Ray Pina
09-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Something I was just thinking about.

Not interested in turning kung fu schools into MMA schools. But since I have a traditional background I think I could more easily relate, understand their objectives but then call on my experience and demonstrate other ways to train their skill sets. Just round things out a bit. Then, if they wanted to maybe expand to learn some escapes, or have problems areas, I could show them some basic drills their students could do.

Got the idea while covering a distributor convention.

I guess only open-minded, good cash flow schools would be interested. I would think the fact that I have a TCMA background, even internal, would put me in better graces then a straight MMA guy.

Water Dragon
09-27-2009, 10:01 AM
By now, I think most serious CMA guys have had exposure and/or trained Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, what have you. I don't see a demand for what you're offering.

Now, if you were offering to integrate CMA into an MMA setting, I think that may be more valuable as you just don't see it as often. But if you go that route, you better make sure you have a solid product to offer.

taai gihk yahn
09-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I would think the fact that I have a TCMA background, even internal, would put me in better graces then a straight MMA guy.
winning a fight or two might help your argument to a traditional school that they "need" an MMA approach...I mean, everyone on here knows you, your process, etc., and we all respect what you are doing; but to a stranger they're gonna look at you and go, "why am I paying to learn from someone who has lost all (or most of?) his MMA fights?" just sayin'...of course, if you went in and basically handed everyone their head, that's one way of proving yourself, but having an established and winning record would be helpful, it's what people tend to respond to...

Ray Pina
09-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Now, if you were offering to integrate CMA into an MMA setting, I think that may be more valuable as you just don't see it as often. But if you go that route, you better make sure you have a solid product to offer.

That would be a nice challenge. Honestly, I would probably need about another 9 months of sparring and tinkering before I would feel ballsy enough to start opening my mouth in that crowd. Now I just sit off to the side watching and listening and when it's my turn I get up and fight as best I can.

Ray Pina
09-27-2009, 04:03 PM
they're gonna look at you and go, "why am I paying to learn from someone who has lost all (or most of?) his MMA fights?" just sayin'...of course, if you went in and basically handed everyone their head, that's one way of proving yourself, but having an established and winning record would be helpful, it's what people tend to respond to...

Good points.

Ray Pina
09-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Good points.

and working on it.... you wouldn't believe how tough it is. Just the training. And they're all training that way.

mickey
09-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Greetings,

You have to prove it with your own school and students.

By the way, this has already been done in the realm of television evangelism. The late Reverend Ike was so successful with his ministry, that other tv evangelists would ask him, "How do you do it?" They actively sought his advice.

Your own success will be both the tuning fork and the magnet for the success of others.

mickey

taai gihk yahn
09-27-2009, 04:46 PM
The late Reverend Ike was so successful with his ministry, that other tv evangelists would ask him, "How do you do it?" They actively sought his advice.

lol - my thesis partner in PT school used to get dragged by his mom to see Rev Ike when he was growing up!

Ray Pina
09-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Your own success will be both the tuning fork and the magnet for the success of others.

mickey

awesome.... and positive.