PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Duran vs. Mas Funaki

Ultimatewingchun
09-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Just came across this vid on a pro wrestling website. The guy who posted it, a former pro wrestler, calls this the best "worked match" he's ever seen between a boxer and a wrestler.

Very entertaining, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFcAyyWinZo

Dragonzbane76
09-27-2009, 05:48 AM
So i'm a little confused on the rules. The wrestler can only take down but has a limited time on the ground and can't strike?

Vajramusti
09-27-2009, 08:36 AM
I looked at that video-
Some comments and observations:
1. I don't know what the rules were or the applications of the rules..
2. Duran looked way past his prime. way over his fighting weight and his reflexes were slow.
2. Funaki(sp?) looked much livelier, younger and more fit.
3. Duran got out of the first two takedowns.
4Funaki got knocked down- I thought the referee counted more slowly than in boxing matches.
5. Then in the third round Duran got taken down and choked.
6. He seemed to be disputing the ending.
7. I have no idea why Duran was wearing boxing gloves which hinder in dealing with a grappler.
8. In his prime Duran threw lots of powerful punches in bunches. He threw very few in this one.

joy chaudhuri

Ultimatewingchun
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
The match was "worked", Joy. In pro wrestling parlance, that means that it was purposely choreographed so that both men look like they might win at any given moment (satisfying fans of both sides)...while it's been pre-determined as to who would win and by what tactics.

And the fact that Funaki didn't get Duran to tap before the count of 8, Duran (and his paying fans) get to be "very upset because they were robbed" - since Roberto submitted after the 8 count...

but Funaki was awarded the "victory"...even though "technically" he didn't deserve it since it happened after the count of 8.

THIS SETS UP A POSSIBLE REMATCH AND MORE $$$$ TO BE MADE.

And rules were set up to make it "look" both plausible and fair to both sides.

Meaning, since Duran is a great boxer, he's made to wear gloves in order to protect the wrestler (somewhat)...and since Funaki's strength is his takedowns and wrestling submissions on the ground, he only has 8 seconds to finish the fight if it goes to the ground.

Great show business on the one hand - but also the reason why catch as catch can wrestling was almost lost through the years - since making money became the over-riding factor - and true wrestling and honest competition went by the wayside.

Vajramusti
09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
That explains why the "match" looked odd, to me.
joy chaudhuri