PDA

View Full Version : 8 step compared to 7 step

wingchunwsl
07-18-2001, 08:35 AM
hey all you mantis people. i just wanted to know what the differences in 8 step and 7 star are. i'm interested in all cma and i barely know anything about the mantis styles so anything would be helpful. what other mantis styles are there and how are they as well? thanks guys.

EARTH DRAGON
07-18-2001, 08:53 AM
the difference in the two systems are mainly footwork. the fouder of 8step Chiang Hua long reailized that the monkey footwork in 7* used a lot of energy to excecute,also he realized that as he aged he would be less agile and require more of a smoother less vigerous footwork. So he changed the footwork to resemble more of a bagua type of step, smoother more angular stepping thus utilizing less energy and the ability to side step an attack and move more efficiently in and out of the opponents range. other masters in our system have also added things to the system such as suai chiao, joint locking and tai chi... for a better explination and full history of 8 step please visit our site! thank you

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

WahLumMantis
07-18-2001, 02:25 PM
Here is a decent website that goes over various mantis styles (northern and southern), their histories, and some characteristics of each.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/1399/

baldmantiz
07-18-2001, 04:00 PM
how extensive is the grappling/joint lock/throwing technique in seven star?

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

yingching
07-18-2001, 06:58 PM
Seven Star has a wide variety of Joint Locks, and Throws.
There is a Mantis Seminar coming up in Rochester NY, On August 4th. Sifu Raymond Fogg will be teaching 7 Star Mantis Forms,and Mantis Fighting Principles (8 Hard, 12 Soft Ways).
For more information e-mail:

RochesterKungFu@AOL.com

baldmantiz
07-18-2001, 10:41 PM
i would like to attend to see some of the differences between 8 step and 7 star first hand...unfortunatle i cant make that...are there any more seminars coming up in the near future?

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

wingchunwsl
07-18-2001, 11:31 PM
are there seminars in los angeles or anything? see, i tried learning 8 step before but there weren't any schools there. :(

wingchunwsl
07-18-2001, 11:32 PM
hey and thanks guys for the info.

yingching
07-19-2001, 03:18 AM
Our school does 2 or 3 Mantis seminars a year. There are also in school workshops, like 3 section staff, daggers, empty hand forms. If you would like to be on the mailing list, just send a email to RochesterKungFu@AOL.com.