PDA

View Full Version : Master Calvin Bascomb (Is he legit?)

DNYC
07-21-2001, 02:00 AM
I visted his school in Maryland. He claims to be one of Grandmaster Chan Poi's early students (70's). Does anyone know anything about him? Is he highly skilled himself? Does anyone know anything about him? He is not listed on the Wah Lam Kung-Fu site as a certified instructor. Does that mean that he is not any good. Most schools don't have certified listings. I am looking for a good Northern Praying Mantis school in the Maryland area. Praying Mantis Kung-Fu schools are very limited in this area. I just to make sure I am getting the real thing. Any help is appreciated.

seung ga faat
07-21-2001, 11:42 AM
7 * is being taught in Silver Spring Md. The teacher is Sifu Othal Thomas. He is from Chiu Luen's lineage and teaches application theory and intent. He currently is accepting students and classes are taught only by him. For more info about Sifu Thomas Check this forum under Seung ga faat or Email him at seunggafaat@iwon,com.

:)

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

kalender
07-21-2001, 09:40 PM
He was an early student of Master Chan.Also he was my first sifu and he gave me a good foundation with which to work .Very skilled fighter and he does a great 9 section steel whip set.You would be in good hands studying with Sifu Bascomb.

woliveri
07-21-2001, 09:52 PM
Is this the same Calvin? Is he a small framed oriental fellow?

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

Hua Lin Laoshi
07-22-2001, 08:38 PM
The school listing on the Wah Lum website is just a list of Sifu's/Schools that are CERTIFIED to teach Wah Lum. Anyone listed there is currently associated with the Wah Lum Temple and has met the minimum requirements to pass on the style. Ex-Sifus that are not listed are no longer authorized by Master Chan to teach Wah Lum. Since thay haven't been tested recently by Master Chan their current ability is unknown.

I suggest you personally visit any school in your area and decide for yourself if the Sifu has something to teach you. As you can see in this forum there is a wide range of opinions on some of the Sifus, some of which are biased depending on the writers good or bad experiences with these Sifus.

I'm willing to learn from anyone that I think can teach me something. If a Sifu is good at forms but a terrible fighter I may be able to learn how to execute my forms better. A Sifu good at fighting but looks lousy can probably teach me how to improve my fighting.

woliveri,
You're thinking of Calvin Chin.

BTW, I've met Calvin Bascomb and he seems to be pretty good although I haven't really seen enough for a solid judgement.

[This message was edited by Hua Lin Laoshi on 07-23-01 at 11:46 AM.]

woliveri
07-23-2001, 02:02 AM
Thanks Hua Lin Laoshi. You are correct.

Memory Refreshed!!!

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

DNYC
07-23-2001, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the advice on my question about Master Bascomb.

RENEGADE_MONK
07-23-2001, 09:42 PM
Is that the same Calvin Bascomb in Lanham on 450
i trained there for a brief moment. He seems skilled from what I experienced. Very nice person, and is very good with his students. from my understanding he trained in Boston before opening his school on Annapolis Rd. I'd recommend him ;)

Radplaiddude
06-15-2011, 05:33 PM
i trained there for a brief moment. He seems skilled from what I experienced. Very nice person, and is very good with his students. from my understanding he trained in Boston before opening his school on Annapolis Rd. I'd recommend him ;)

Does he have a website. What does he call his school?

Radplaiddude
06-16-2011, 05:19 PM

I just drove by the shopping plaza his school was in on 450 in Lanham, Well its gone now. Anyone know where he relocated too?