10-02-2009, 07:34 AM
which you do most?

or all of the above.

and why and how?

:D

uki
10-02-2009, 12:12 PM
trap and break...

because it keeps the opponent from issuing forth more strikes...

karateguy
10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Punch, Kick, then throw!!!!!

Hebrew Hammer
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
The eye gouge and atomic elbow from the top of the ropes!

goju
10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
i like elbowing alot and my side kick i can throw that kick real good:D

Boston Bagua
10-06-2009, 02:25 AM
I like them all and they will appear when needed.

Ray Pina
10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
trap and break...

That is very hard to do against someone remotely skilled.

lkfmdc
10-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Ray, leave the troll to play with his balls

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2009, 08:40 AM
http://www.guitar.com/uploaded/profile_images/forum_23a778df_playing_with_balls-12222.jpg

Ray Pina
10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
aaahhhhh, that is too much.

Ray Pina
10-06-2009, 09:20 AM

I only say that because this is a thread about what we "do most."

I find it hard to believe that you find yourself plucking strikes out of thin air and breaking the limb (arm or leg) more than you use a basic lead strike to create space, begin a combination, back someone up.

I tried to break it down. I came up with something like 85% punching, 15% kicks.... but then thought about take downs. I'll shoot before I throw. Right now I'm only confident in arm/shoulder throws from the clinch. And I'll only pull off 1/3 of them smoothly. And then there's locking. If the shoot or throw is successful, then that changes things. Then I'll be 75% striking and 25% looking for a break. But of those strikes, if they're elbows, long fists, forearms or knees depends on the position.

So it's too hard to tell. But definitely fists by an overwhelming majority. Kicks are great, like air force bombing. But usually you need troops on the ground.... fists in face repeatedly.

uki
10-06-2009, 11:41 AM
That is very hard to do against someone remotely skilled.or perhaps you just are not remotely skilled in trapping and breaking...

Ray, leave the troll to play with his ballshmmm... and here i thought i was on your ignore... LOL. how's business? good? how's work? make any new dvd's yet? do you even know how to do physical labour? i mean... the kind where you actually have to break a sweat and risk getting your hands dirty... perhaps even the kind of work that might make you stink like a man?? LOL... girls... i understand though, i wouldn't want to break a nail either... :p

David Jamieson
10-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I personally like to close fast, grab on and work from the clinch.

I do kick, but not much and hardly ever anything much above the waist and only when it's low hanging fruit.

I like to employ a mix of standard punches with elbow strikes and forearm smashes.

I like to use my knees while holding my opponents neck.

Getting a lock is sweet.

Holding a lock or getting a sub is sweeter.

A straight up knockout is cool albeit rare in my experience.

Street finishes are for cowards (curb stomps, head stomps, weapon on no weapon etc)

I think this should all be added to someone's lavalife account! :D

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I hit people, they fall down.
If they don't, I throw them down.
If they get up I throw them down again, rip off a limb and beat them with it.
Its how I roll.
http://dasistdasen.de/pic/N3rhgmilRetrtm7oFckuWLzMo1_500.jpg

uki
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
i should rephrase the concept of trapping and breaking... i have used the term pretzeling more often - the ability to twist up your opponets limbs into the desired dislocational positions for proper manipulations... its amazing what alittle tsai ching can do with abit of creativity involved.

goju
10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
why do i have the feeling this threads gonna turn into an argument on trapping working any minute now:D

goju
10-06-2009, 12:05 PM
i like the front kick to upward elbow tech nique in gekkisai dai ichi kata as well:D

MasterKiller
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
i should rephrase the concept of trapping and breaking... i have used the term pretzeling more often - the ability to twist up your opponets limbs into the desired dislocational positions for proper manipulations... its amazing what alittle tsai ching can do with abit of creativity involved.

That's called grappling, Sookie.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T_JachDW9ag/SrJ8EVV7krI/AAAAAAAAA8M/xHNWTbneAn0/s800/1253154516160.jpg

Ray Pina
10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I personally like to close fast, grab on and work from the clinch.

It's grueling to fight someone with that style. That wears ya down. Good stuff.

uki
10-07-2009, 01:10 AM
That's called grappling, Sookie.
even when your still standing? LOL... grappling sounds soooo, what's the word i am looking for here... desperate. i can see we are talking about two entirely different concepts here...

sanjuro_ronin
10-07-2009, 05:40 AM
even when your still standing? LOL... grappling sounds soooo, what's the word i am looking for here... desperate. i can see we are talking about two entirely different concepts here...

Anything in which you "grapple", is grappling.
The moment you make contact and "hold" or "grasp", its grappling.

Mr Punch
10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.guitar.com/uploaded/profile_images/forum_23a778df_playing_with_balls-12222.jpgThat's a guitar forum?! Must be his G-string...

Street finishes are for cowards (curb stomps, head stomps, weapon on no weapon etc)By the way, there have been NO recorded cases of curb stomps ever in the English-language media, according to Wiki and Snopes. I did see some Japanese police laying into a drunken business man and kneeling his neck into the curb though. Which was nice :rolleyes: :o .

David Jamieson
10-07-2009, 08:53 AM
point please?

in re: head stomps etc. my statement was concerning my unwillingness to do that in a fight.

And also that I didn't think much of people who did it when they fought.

Mr Punch
10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
point please
By the way...:rolleyes:

You are familiar with the actual meaning of 'by the way', right, as opposed to the more common idiomatic meaning? It means 'incidentally', or 'not directly relating to the point'.

Just saying, that was all.

Lee Chiang Po
10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Grappling is a desperation move when a fellow is getting his arse whipped. Same in the ring. When a guy can't handle the beating he goes for a take down. I feel that if you can't whip a guy standing, you should probably not be rolling on the ground with him either.
I have known a few really good fighters in my life, and none of them had fight ethics. That is what made them really good fighters. Morals and ethics are truely a weakness in a persons character. They hold you back from making a full commitment.

sanjuro_ronin
10-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Grappling is a desperation move when a fellow is getting his arse whipped. Same in the ring. When a guy can't handle the beating he goes for a take down. I feel that if you can't whip a guy standing, you should probably not be rolling on the ground with him either.

So incorrect it boggles the mind.

goju
10-07-2009, 01:34 PM
i like stand up grappling like chin na and chinese wrestling etc etc

but even though grapplers work their arse off and ive seen some tremendous skill from them i dont see the point in twisting some ones arm and making someone say uncle:D

David Jamieson
10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
ah yes...

must stop skimming...must stop skimming

:p

Mr Punch
10-07-2009, 03:42 PM
So incorrect it boggles the mind.Well, this bit's OK...

Grappling is a desperation move when a fellow is getting his arse whipped.This is true.

As is this:
When a guy can't handle the beating he goes for a take down.A lot of people are like this, and talking about scrubs both of these statements apply.

Same in the ring... I feel that if you can't whip a guy standing, you should probably not be rolling on the ground with him either.This is total bollocks, mind.

Morals and ethics are truely a weakness in a persons character. They hold you back from making a full commitment.And this is wank, too.

uki
10-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Anything in which you "grapple", is grappling.
The moment you make contact and "hold" or "grasp", its grappling.even if the hands do not grasp? when i talk trapping, i am talking using the insides of the elbow, shoulder, and wrist joints while applying serpentine leverage of the arms, combined with the torque movements of the waist - sinking the hips and all that fun stuff... no hand grasping - fingers are free.

I have known a few really good fighters in my life, and none of them had fight ethics. That is what made them really good fighters. Morals and ethics are truely a weakness in a persons character. They hold you back from making a full commitment.nice post... perhaps flowers do still grow in texas. :)

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2009, 05:44 AM
Well, this bit's OK...

This is true.

As is this: A lot of people are like this, and talking about scrubs both of these statements apply.

This is total bollocks, mind.

And this is wank, too.

Some systems focus almost entirely on grappling, to suggest they do that because they "can't handle a beating" shows lack of understanding of what grappling is.
I am sure Fedor can handle a beating quite well, he is from Sambo.
Guys like Minotauro are from BJJ.
Grappling CAN be a desperation move, so can "going for the KO" as we see when guys start throwing wild, looping punches hoping to get a KO.
To insinuate that a judoka goes in for the throw instead of striking because he is "afraid" to get hit, boogle the mind.
Are there some guys the "hold on for dear life" when they get clocked?
Yep, its called survival, not grappling.

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2009, 05:46 AM
even if the hands do not grasp? when i talk trapping, i am talking using the insides of the elbow, shoulder, and wrist joints while applying serpentine leverage of the arms, combined with the torque movements of the waist - sinking the hips and all that fun stuff... no hand grasping - fingers are free.

nice post... perhaps flowers do still grow in texas. :)

Yep, that's grappling, congrats, you are a grappler by the every sense of the world.

Yeah, they grow something in Texas. mushrooms by the looks of it.

Frost
10-08-2009, 06:17 AM
I have known a few really good fighters in my life, and none of them had fight ethics. That is what made them really good fighters. Morals and ethics are truely a weakness in a persons character. They hold you back from making a full commitment.

If uki thinks your post are spot on then god help you :o)

So much crap written in such a small amount of space it hurts my head......:eek:

Frost
10-08-2009, 06:28 AM
To actually answer the original post I prefer the clinch and takedowns, but them I am just a girlie man who hates being hit :eek:

I prefer to use my legs when on the outside, either jamming with the front kick or taking his legs out with the round house, I like to use straight punches to make him cover up as I close the distance, or I let him initiate the attack and use level changes and crazy monkey to close the gap and then its clinch time :D

Clinch to knees, elbows, upper cuts, foot stomps then finish with a snap down or throw, its all good it just sucks actually training it as I find the clinch the most exhausting phase of training

Mr Punch
10-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Some systems focus almost entirely on grappling, to suggest they do that because they "can't handle a beating" shows lack of understanding of what grappling is.
I am sure Fedor can handle a beating quite well, he is from Sambo.
Guys like Minotauro are from BJJ.
Grappling CAN be a desperation move, so can "going for the KO" as we see when guys start throwing wild, looping punches hoping to get a KO.
To insinuate that a judoka goes in for the throw instead of striking because he is "afraid" to get hit, boogle the mind.
Are there some guys the "hold on for dear life" when they get clocked?
Yep, its called survival, not grappling.Of course.

I agreed with you totally. The bit that is accurate in his post is that it's a common scrub's tactic to grab hold of something when they're getting a beating. All of the stuff about grappling therefore being for scrubs is of course, crap, as is all the stuff about grappling being a poor choice and for people who can't fight stand-up. LCP is in la-la land as usual.

MasterKiller
10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
even if the hands do not grasp? when i talk trapping, i am talking using the insides of the elbow, shoulder, and wrist joints while applying serpentine leverage of the arms, combined with the torque movements of the waist - sinking the hips and all that fun stuff... no hand grasping - fingers are free.

You mean watching squirrels fight turtles hasn't taught you about the value of using underhooks and overhooks?

Iron_Eagle_76
10-08-2009, 08:40 AM

A quote from Billy Madison is needed in response to this:

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.":D

David Jamieson
10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't think it matters what the blind people say about the beauty of colours. :)

Lucas
10-08-2009, 09:25 AM
i like to hit stuff

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
A quote from Billy Madison is needed in response to this:

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.":D

Most Awesome post ever !!

uki
10-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Yep, that's grappling, congrats, you are a grappler by the every sense of the world.thanks!! but how do you know?? i could be talking out my a$$...

Yeah, they grow something in Texas. mushrooms by the looks of it.texas has peyote...

You mean watching squirrels fight turtles hasn't taught you about the value of using underhooks and overhooks?perhaps i was too focused on catching the comets? :p

If uki thinks your post are spot on then god help you.LOL... atleast he'll have more help than you. :)

So much crap written in such a small amount of space it hurts my head......it's amazing that you allow something so simple to hurt you - your martial ability seems to be readily revealed. :D

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2009, 01:20 PM
thanks!! but how do you know?? i could be talking out my a$$...

What else is new :D

uki
10-08-2009, 01:22 PM
What else is new.ouch... that hurt.

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2009, 05:26 AM
ouch... that hurt.

Ah, you know I love you, you 'shroom head !
In a total manly, hetro spartan way of course !!