PDA

View Full Version : NYC

gumyilo
08-06-2001, 05:58 PM
I'm currently looking for a new school and found this website

http://www.northernmantis.com

I was wondering if anyone knows anything aobut the sifu in this school, Is he legit...etc...
also if you know of any schools in the NYC area feel free to post, Thanks in advanced for the help

"There are no shortcuts in Kung Fu only long days of Hard Work."

BeiTangLang
08-06-2001, 06:51 PM
The proof is in the technique,....visit the schools. Sibak Chuy is quite authentic.
Have fun in your search.
-BTL

"It's all the same; Only the names have changed........."

eyelm
08-07-2001, 11:29 PM
I studied with Sifu Chuy for about 6 months, a few years ago. I already had 10 years 7* training behind me. There were some stylistic differences between my prior training and his, so I basically took his classes as a "new" student. I found him to be an excellent teacher, with a high concern for the safety and progress of his students, and he taught every class (this is VERY important). I found the classes to be well run, with varied and interesting training and conditioning activities. He does have senior students assisting, and they could sometimes be inconsistent but, to Sifu Chuys credit, he would interrupt and correct whenever necessary.

I found the other students to be friendly and supportive. I don't know how many students he screens out, but he did interview me, prior to accepting me as a student.

Good luck

ngokfei
08-08-2001, 06:26 AM
Sifu Chuy is a good teacher. May also want to check out Sifu Carl Albright. His mantis knowledge is quite extensive. he runs a very serious program in brooklyn.

NYC has lots of styles:

Eagle Claw
Praying manti
Hung Ga
4 Shaolin Temple Monks
Lama
Tai Chi (we got them all)
Xing Yi
Pa Qua
Southern Dragon
Bak Mei
Fu Jow Pai
Lee Ga
Mok Ga
etc.

check Bok Lei Tat in China town. They have an extensive directory.

eric Hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

Young Mantis
08-08-2001, 06:59 AM
Gumyilo,

Thank you for inquiring about our school.

I train with Sifu Tony Chuy at the Praying Mantis Martial Arts Institute. Sifu is a disciple of the Northern Seven Star Praying Mantis branch under Master Brendan Lai and also trained with late Grand Master Chiu, Chuk Kai of the Tai Chi Praying Mantis branch.

The program at the school is authentic and traditional and Sifu's knowledge of not only this style but of Chinese martial arts in general is quite extensive. There is an emphasis on applications and partner drills/exercises.

Good luck finding a school that suits you. Feel free to come by and visit the school. You should be able to find a class schedule on the website.

YM

Laughing Buddha
08-12-2001, 08:00 PM
I have been a student of Sifu Tony Chuy's since 1993. He is a teacher of Northern Seven Star Mantis tracing an unbroken lineage back to the founder and has been teaching continuously for the past 20 years. His knowledge of Mantis is superb and his authenticity is verifiable.

As a prior poster has mentioned, he teaches all levels personally 99% of the time, seven days a week. This is something which is rarely done by traditional Masters of his calibre. Furthermore, he uses a teaching method (complete with lesson plan) that combines the best and most effective of traditional and modern teaching techniques. His fusion of traditional and modern teaching styles imparts the movements of Mantis in a manner that even rank beginners to the martial arts can understand and perform.

While his teaching methods are novel and hands-on, he does not run a commercial school in that we are not a "belt factory" and all new students are interviewed by him personally. His focus is on actual self-defence, Mantis fighting theories and Chinese philosophies. We don't kickbox nor point-system (tournament) spar. Neither do we teach Wushu or acrobatic, flashy moves to please students or bystanders. If this is what you're looking for, along with my senior training brother Young Mantis, I would encourage you to come watch a class and decide for yourself.

-------------------------------------
A "Laughing Buddha" or "Dai Tao Fut" is usually found cavorting in front of and leading the lion(s) in a Southern Lion Dance troupe.

I speak for myself and not for my Si Fu nor kwoon, so any errors I make are mine alone.

RAYNYSC
08-13-2001, 05:16 AM
Hey Gumyilo,
Sifu Carl Albright's website is
www.7starmantis.com (http://www.7starmantis.com)
check it out when you get the chance....

A fighter will block where a master will attack

RAYNYSC