PDA

View Full Version : scooby's workshop

David Jamieson
10-07-2009, 06:44 AM
who uses scooby's workshop?

do you agree with his approach? do you like his routines? have you personally gotten results from his advice, videos and essays?

here's his site, yes it's for bodybuilders, but he is a no roid, clean eater type.

anyway, here's the site http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/

Mr Punch
10-07-2009, 08:52 AM
I'd never checked out his site, but I've taken in some of his stuff on youtube before. Seems like a reasonable and knowledgeable guy, but his head freaks me out. :D

taai gihk yahn
10-12-2009, 07:10 PM
looked through it, like what he puts on; some things very similar to BFL, others different; I think he has a very good way of getting beginners going, and he certainly walks the walk (not bad for 48 y/o!);

he's right about not spending a lot of $$$, and I respect that he does this all for free! seems like a sincere and enthusiastic guy;

I would recommend him to someone with no background, as well as for more advanced peeps for reference;

the only thing I would take issue with is doing cardio every day - I would at least give beginners one or possibly 2 days off per week (BFL has you doing cardio only 3 days a week and it "works");

Scott R. Brown
10-13-2009, 12:54 AM
First let me say I have been weight training continuously for 35 years. No, I don't look like him and have never wanted too. I am not genetically gifted for strength, although I am reasonably strong, and I train for fitness purposes!

Overall it is not a bad site and I agree he seems like a pretty nice guy. He is knowledgeable.

I agree with the dumbells and I have owned the powerblocks for almost 20 years. They are expensive, but they are worth the cost in my opinion. I have them up to 120# and I bought a set for my 18 yr old son up to 90#. My younger son will get a set when he is old enough too!

His advanced program has too many exercises for most people who only are concerned with general fitness and you don't need to train 5-6 days a week. You can get what you need in three for general fitness. You can get strong and fit on three days. That is not to say you couldn't or shouldn't train 5-6 days if you wanted too. You would just organize your program differently depending upon what your goals are and the time you have allotted for training.

I don't know why anyone recommends "good mornings" they are too risky for back injury and stiff legged deadlifts do the same thing and are much safer! Good mornings should be considered an advanced exercise for very experienced trainers in my opinion, although I personally would never do them. If you screw up your back you are screwed in all your training, not to mention just moving around comfortably with common daily activities.

Alot of his advice is for bodybuilders, not general athletes or people interested in general fitness. Generally there is no need to use that much volume, that many exercises. Most athletes do not train in the manner he is suggesting.

How you set up a program depends upon time constraints, other activities you expect to participate in, such as martial arts training, etc. and how much time and how often you plan to train.