PDA

View Full Version : Century Bob

Yoshiyahu
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
To me I see some WC Kwoons using the Century BOB as a punching bag. I guess I can see that if your like ten years old it would make a great punching bag.

But I was wondering if anyone else seen other training methods more suitable for the Century BOB.

Instead of Hitting and Kicking the Century BOB. Why not practice your Finger Strikes against it. Wouldn't Finger Strikes and Ginger Fist be more useful against a century BOB. Like for instance you get a diagram of the pressure points on the human body and practice striking those points with your fingers. Slow at first. Then over time faster and harder as your fingers get stronger and your memory gets sharper to where the spots are. Then over time you can strike the points with the lights dimmed. You keep hitting it until you get to point where you hit the points along the conception meriden with out really looking. Kinda of like typing while looking away. You can hit the keys on the keyboard while watching the computer screen. I think a Century BOB would be more useful in that aspect.

What is your opinion?

Some useful applications of the Centruy BOB.

- Finger Strikes (Bil Gee or Snake Fist).

- Phoenix Eye Fist Strikes.

- Elbow strikes drilling (Proper technique against a chin or nose).

- Lan Sau or Gan Sau to neck striking and drilling.

Also with out power you can hit, kick, punch, palm strike, elbow, finger jab, back fist and knee the Century BOB. Its kinda of a free flow drill with control of your power. You go extremely fast but try to hit the BOB with out making it move. And continously attack it over and over again. First work your way to two minutes then build up to Five minutes then up to ten minutes of continous freestyle.

Once you can do so fast with out power for a maximum of ten to twenty minutes then you will achieve great control of your power and also alot of anerboic endurance.

duende
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
It's probably fair to say that most WC practitioners use "Angry Bob" for the application techniques you mention.

Due to the weight factor, (when filled completely with water of course) I personally like to use it for Dragon Palm and Eagle claw strikes and grapples too. Hit it full force, and still bring back with your applied technique, this helps develop the Faat Ging and contact power while still being able to implement the lock.

:)

sanjuro_ronin
10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Bob is great for kids and women, maybe old men.
It is good for some stick work though, its fine for that.

TenTigers
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I use Bob only for targeted strikes. Vital points, etc.
They don't make a copper dummy.

sanjuro_ronin
10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I use Bob only for targeted strikes. Vital points, etc.
They don't make a copper dummy.

Yeah, I've been looking for one with ball bearings too !!
I know an old man that needs an ass kicking !!!
:D

chusauli
10-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Bob is just too light (even when filled with water) and gets knocked over easily by heavyweights. Especially with WCK methods of closing in and striking with the body. Stick to a heavy bag or Muay Thai Banana bag.

duende
10-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Bob is just too light (even when filled with water) and gets knocked over easily by heavyweights. Especially with WCK methods of closing in and striking with the body. Stick to a heavy bag or Muay Thai Banana bag.

True... it isn't as heavy as it should be. Too bad they don't make a 200 plus pound version.

Lindley
10-08-2009, 09:39 AM
"BOB" offers an anatomical representation of your opponent that changes the psychological intent of striking. BOB helps develop better accuracy and more realism in applying techniques to devastating points on the real body. One may have to ask if you have the courage to put your fists into someone's face and beyond. Most think they can, but often times can "freeze" because you are just not use to hitting body parts, like the head. Heavy bag training differs by developing power and release of the hands and feet. There is no "face" to the opponent. The wooden dummy also has a completely different purpose in training, as the arms and leg offer lines of attack and contact to learn to penetrate an opponent.

Good luck with your Kung Fu

Yoshiyahu
10-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow such wonderful and detailed insight. Thank you very much for that.

-Wooden Dummy develops power for arms, palms and whole body movement

-Punching bag allows you develop more power in releasing force into heavier objects.

-Century Bob allows you to imagine realistically attacking a person throat, face, ears, nose etc. With the centruy bob one place red stickers on the meridan line and practicing hitting it all the time. This will develop accuracy.

"BOB" offers an anatomical representation of your opponent that changes the psychological intent of striking. BOB helps develop better accuracy and more realism in applying techniques to devastating points on the real body. One may have to ask if you have the courage to put your fists into someone's face and beyond. Most think they can, but often times can "freeze" because you are just not use to hitting body parts, like the head. Heavy bag training differs by developing power and release of the hands and feet. There is no "face" to the opponent. The wooden dummy also has a completely different purpose in training, as the arms and leg offer lines of attack and contact to learn to penetrate an opponent.

Good luck with your Kung Fu

Chop suey
10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Great for training to fight against a little person with no arms or legs. If it seems too light and if youre heavy bag is swingin around all over despite weighing 500 lbs, you might be pushing a litle bit...:rolleyes:

anerlich
10-13-2009, 07:08 PM
The BJJ/kickboxing/MMA school I attend has one.They busted the head within three days after buying it.

IMO there's no need to fiddle around with finger strikes, millimeter accuracy and dots if you can, as Geoff Thompson says, learn to HIT F***IN' HARD.

This isn't MMA jock riding. My WC instructor and a former sihing are pretty selective about where they buy wooden dummies from because they end up breaking most of them in a short period of time.

Yoshiyahu
10-14-2009, 09:20 AM
The BJJ/kickboxing/MMA school I attend has one.They busted the head within three days after buying it.

IMO there's no need to fiddle around with finger strikes, millimeter accuracy and dots if you can, as Geoff Thompson says, learn to HIT F***IN' HARD.

This isn't MMA jock riding. My WC instructor and a former sihing are pretty selective about where they buy wooden dummies from because they end up breaking most of them in a short period of time.

So they must be banging the Mok Jong pretty hard huh?

As for Century Bob it depends on what aspects you wish to build up. I think it would be good to use to develop speed and accuracy however. Since its a reaslitic feature. But again you need a heavy bag to develop the power in addition. A Century Bob alone would be a handicap. But I think having both a heavy bag, Mook Jong and Century Bob you will have advantage. Also there is a Wooden Man with full torso and facial features. Has Anyone seem the hard woord Body Opponent? I think if someone was to carve while body out of hard wood and then hit it along the pressure points after awhile you will have some pretty good techniques and accuracy.

Imagine a figure that is bolted into ground. It has a full torso and head and face alll the way to the groin. You practice striking the wooden figure to develop accuracy in your strikes...

What is that called anyway?

mjw
10-14-2009, 05:55 PM
It's kind of funny I saw this post now today since I just got a century bob. However as for the weight issue sombody told me to get sand to fill it up with rather than water to make for a heavier bag. I'm yet to do either probablly later today I will fill it up with water and see how heavy it is and if I need more weight I will go with sand.....

Wayfaring
10-14-2009, 11:21 PM

Well tell them they're supposed to buy it dinner first. And have some romantic time. Sheesh. Bunch of big d@mn ogres.

Yoshiyahu
10-15-2009, 09:19 AM
It's kind of funny I saw this post now today since I just got a century bob. However as for the weight issue sombody told me to get sand to fill it up with rather than water to make for a heavier bag. I'm yet to do either probablly later today I will fill it up with water and see how heavy it is and if I need more weight I will go with sand.....

Yea even though you fill it up will toggle all over the place. See the weight needs to be the body...But its merely in base. With a hanging punching bag the weight is with in the bag that your hitting...causing your punching power to increase. The weight at the base of century bob just stops the bob from falling over on the floor!!!

sanjuro_ronin
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Well tell them they're supposed to buy it dinner first. And have some romantic time. Sheesh. Bunch of big d@mn ogres.

Best post ever !

anerlich
10-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Funny you should say that, the way Bob's made he looks like he's wearing a skirt instead of shorts :D

Yoshiyahu
10-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Please share any relative benefits training with a BOB may produce?

Ng Mui
10-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Live partner best, Wooden Dummy next... then maybe Bob.

AdrianK
10-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Please share any relative benefits training with a BOB may produce?

I like the "give" that the head has, it helps me not to over commit.

mjw
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I find bob to be good for upper cuts and percision hitting to certain areas but thats about it really when compared to a heavy bag etc.

Yoshiyahu
10-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Live partner best, Wooden Dummy next... then maybe Bob.

Okay what skills does the Bob assist with that you may not be able to develop using a heavy bag or wooden man????

Never late for training, never injured to train.

Ain't that truth buddy. The BOB won't hurt you will it?

Excellent point. I am glad you brought that up. Although some may see your comment as an indenudo...ha ha!!!!

I find bob to be good for upper cuts and percision hitting to certain areas but thats about it really when compared to a heavy bag etc.

What does the BOB offer that one can obtain from a heavy bag?

anerlich
10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Never late for training, never injured to train.

Bob's always there, but to say he's never injured is incorrect. Our Bob had a recent head transplant and now has a basketball held in place with many layers of multicoloured duct tape. He looks like a burns victim or someone who's been kidnapped.

Yoshiyahu
10-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Bob's always there, but to say he's never injured is incorrect. Our Bob had a recent head transplant and now has a basketball held in place with many layers of multicoloured duct tape. He looks like a burns victim or someone who's been kidnapped.

i think they meant the bob doesn't injure you

m1k3
10-25-2009, 06:43 AM

You are over committing on your punches is chun speak for "Ow, Stop that, your hitting too hard". :eek:

AdrianK
10-26-2009, 01:05 AM
You are over committing on your punches is chun speak for "Ow, Stop that, your hitting too hard". :eek:

By overcommitment I mean it will let me know if I'm throwing my balance too much forward, or if I'm overextending my arm.

Hitting a punching bag stops my forward momentum and stops my arm from overextending, Bob's face makes me pay for a lack of control.

m1k3
10-26-2009, 05:53 AM
By overcommitment I mean it will let me know if I'm throwing my balance too much forward, or if I'm overextending my arm.

Hitting a punching bag stops my forward momentum and stops my arm from overextending, Bob's face makes me pay for a lack of control.

Gotcha.

You can accomplish the same thing by making sure you snap your punches. The best instruction I ever had about punching is when I read an Ali quote who said punching should be like hitting a fly with a fly swatter.

Yoshiyahu
10-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Gotcha.

You can accomplish the same thing by making sure you snap your punches. The best instruction I ever had about punching is when I read an Ali quote who said punching should be like hitting a fly with a fly swatter.

Great so The Bob can kinda of give you and idea of punching a head with out over committing and put some snap into it. That sounds pretty cool!!!!

AdrianK
10-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Gotcha.

I think its a decidedly different thing. Of course in most cases you "snap" your punches, but in the air we have nothing "real" to hit, and on a punching bag its weight and density helps to correct any loss of balance due to forward momentum or over-extension.

That is, unless you simply stand in front of bob stationary hitting him. But if you're practicing moving around, in, and out while striking, I think Bob's face can be an excellent training tool.

Yoshiyahu
10-27-2009, 06:58 AM
I think its a decidedly different thing. Of course in most cases you "snap" your punches, but in the air we have nothing "real" to hit, and on a punching bag its weight and density helps to correct any loss of balance due to forward momentum or over-extension.

That is, unless you simply stand in front of bob stationary hitting him. But if you're practicing moving around, in, and out while striking, I think Bob's face can be an excellent training tool.

In Some Chinese Martial Arts there are two forms of sand bag hitting. On is the old heavy bag that was used to kick and hit and elbow and knee. Some even had a heavy bag that was the shape of human. The Second one was smaller bag about the size of beach ball maybe. An it too was filled with sand and later on harder material. It hung straight down so it could swing. The point of hitting these things were to build power for hitting the face or head and generating force in a smaller amout of space. Where the heavy bag was to build power for hitting the body. So theoretically one should have both wouldn't you say?