PDA

View Full Version : Which school to enroll?

hamsuplo
10-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Good day! I was thinking about whether to enroll at William Cheung's or Jim Fung's school. Any suggestions?

What do you think about this instructor's Chum Kiu?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YqeI4NZVQ

PS - Yes, I'm new here. Watched a few Wing Chun movies and got hooked!

anerlich
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Where do you live?

Generally IMO lineage is less important than the skill of the individual instructor and whether his/her teaching style matches what you are after. Best way is to go to both schools in person, watch carefully and ask lots of questions.

I can't watch vids at work so can't help with the CK.

Vajramusti
10-08-2009, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=anerlich;963346]Where do you live?

Generally IMO lineage is less important than the skill of the individual instructor and whether his/her teaching style matches what you are after. Best way is to go to both schools in person, watch carefully and ask lots of questions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right idea and good answer.
joy chaudhuri

Ultimatewingchun
10-08-2009, 09:47 PM
William Cheung's TWC school. If you've never seen this particular wing chun style up close and personal (ie.- by actively getting involved in it)...then you're missing seeing/experiencing several very valuable "paths" that very few wing chun systems travel along.

The only caveat to that I will offer is this: it's not just system, it's also the instructor. Pay close attention to the TWC sifu in question: Does he look like he's competent? If so, how competent? Any real sparring going on? If so, how realistic and how skillful does it look? These questons need to be answered in your mind before joining any school, imo.

Lindley
10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Hamsuplo,

Welcome! As mentioned, one of the most important things is for you to do is visit both schools. Interview with the Sifu. Go in with some idea of why you want to learn Wing Chun - beyond just being hooked on seeing some videos.

Some important things to look for: The Sifu's explanations - does he/she seem to understand your needs in what you want from the training? Does the Sifu discuss their lineage at all, and by this I mean their respect to their teachers? Their Kung fu family? Do the students show a good relationship with the Sifu, do they seem to train seriously? Are they couteious to each other? To say that one school or lineage is "better" than another is a red flag. Stay away from those who criticise other instructors or schools.

In regards to the Chum Kiu video, no one should comment on whether his chum kiu is "good" or not. The true test is whether this demonstrator understands why he plays this form. When we are advanced, forms become available for us to understand and reinforce key concepts. The movements should progress from learning the sequence, to having a "flow", to looking for realistic applications. For example, Chum Kiu introduces most of us to the kick. hence, the kick at an advanced level, should be thrown like a true kick.

The study of martial arts is a process. We begin by being obedient, because we enter knowing nothing. We then progress to a point of some understanding, using what we have been taught to some level of proficiency. Then, the final stage (which few ascend to) is a state of freedom. This is when we use the system to leave the system. This is the stage when it becomes "your Kung fu" - your own Jeet Kune Do.

Wing Chun should be studied to learn how to learn. To learn ideas so that you can apply them to your body and to react instinctively, and not have to think too much. Wing Chun is a wonderful "core" to build on. Always know "why" you do something.

Good luck with your Kung Fu!!