PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum Tam Tui Northern Mantis

djphrenzy
08-15-2001, 07:29 PM
There is a certified Wah Lum school about 1 hour away from me that I am considering attending on a private lesson basis. The Head Instructor is Sifu Jeffrey Naayers. Anyone care to share some thoughts or insight into this system/style? Does it focus on kicks, hand strikes, grappling, etc? How effective for self-defense?

Thanks-

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat
http://www.djphrenzy.com

woliveri
08-15-2001, 08:11 PM
Wah Lum is about 70% legs, 30% hands system. Although the basics are very strong. I like Wah Lum basics. When I was in the system it was mostly a forms school although now I hear they incorperate sparring. The forms are quite nice as well. Also, Jeff is a nice guy. You could probably do much worse than Wah Lum.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

Robinf
08-15-2001, 08:54 PM
In my current experience, it's 50/50. There are some conditioning forms that are just about all legs, but for the most part, it's pretty even.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

MiamiMantis
08-15-2001, 11:36 PM
I guess I'm a little bias since I teach Wah Lum here in Miami Fl. I think it is a great system but it's not for everybody. The best thing I can tell you is go check it out for yourself and give it a shot. If it doesn't appeal to you then move on to something else. If you like it, then you have found a good system to practice in. I don't know that Sifu, I am mostly familiar with the Sifu's in Florida.....

Good luck and enjoy :) :cool: :D ;)

MiamiMantis
08-15-2001, 11:38 PM
Also I forgot. Go check out Wah Lum's Official site at www.wahlum.com (http://www.wahlum.com)
;) :) :cool: :D

Hua Lin Laoshi
08-16-2001, 02:22 AM
Sifu Naayers has been in Wah Lum for over 15 years and has graduated 2 (I believe) certified instructors. He is also heavily involved in the Arnold Fitness Expo serving as Director of the Martial Arts portion of the event. As always, it's best to observe a class personally and judge for yourself his teaching ability and whether the style is right for you.

Brad
08-18-2001, 05:57 AM
I have some very mixed feelings about Wah Lum, but I think Jeff Naayers is a pretty nice guy. You should defenitely check it out first, observe classes, and talk to him in person. There's a couple other good CMA schools in the area too, including the one I attend ;)

MiamiMantis
08-19-2001, 02:49 AM
Brad, just out of curiousity, what are your mixed feelings towards Wah Lum?. If it's personal, you don't have to respond

:) :cool: :D ;)

djphrenzy
08-19-2001, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the information guys and gals...

Brad; I'd like to hear your mixed feelings as well. Just out of curiousity

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat
http://www.djphrenzy.com

NorthernMantis
08-19-2001, 04:43 PM
Yeah I would like to know too.

"Always be ready"

SolarStance
08-19-2001, 05:56 PM
Sifu Naayers seems like a pretty cool guy. I competed with some of his students last summer at Tournament 2000, and they were great both in skill and character. In my opinion, this says lots about the sifu.

Plus, he's one tough dude-- has anyone seen his iron shirt demos? His cinder-block vest is the coolest!!!

)))SolarStance(((