PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum pics?

djphrenzy
08-16-2001, 11:55 PM
Is there anywhere on the net that one could find pictures of Wah Lum forms? Aside from wahlum.com that is...they don't seem to have much info on the system itself, more on the history.

Thanks-

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat
http://www.djphrenzy.com

woliveri
08-17-2001, 02:26 AM
No, I don't. Probably get sued if I put the form up and called it a Wah Lum form. You could check out the First Form book or several others are also available.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

MiamiMantis
08-19-2001, 10:49 PM
you won't find any video on wah lum forms. Master Chan is real strict on that kind of stuff. Go check out the Wah Lum school near you for a personal demonstration.....

Actually now that I think of it you can order the video the "Warrior Within" that was on the discovery channel. They have some Wah Lum stuff on that :) ;) :cool:

Tainan Mantis
08-20-2001, 02:40 AM
Living Legends of Kung Fu Volume 1
Contains:
Grandmaster Chan
1.Little Mantis
2.Plum Flower
3.Advanced Leg Techniques
4.9 ring long handled braodsword
5.2 man form(done by his students)
6.broadsword vs. staff

Brendan Lai
3 forms and applications

This tape can be considered historically important as it is a chance to see people from the old school in action.
Additionally, the Little Mantis form, while not being very difficult, can be considered to be the nucleus of Wah Lum. This is according to an interview with Grandmaster Chan's older kung fu brother published in Hong Kong just before he passed away in the early '70s.
Something else he clears up is the actual name of the form. Little Mantis sounds good in English but in Chinese it sounds slightly illogical as the name of a form. The form has another name, "Iron Door Bolt(tieh men suan)"-meaning that these are the movements to bolt an iron door shut.
I ordered it through a kung fu mag. It most likely is still available.

SolarStance
08-20-2001, 06:10 AM
Do you study Wah Lum in Taiwan? I love how Sigung Chan can demonstrate a form that is relatively a "beginner's form" and make it look like a master's set. Same with his performance of Wah Lum 1st form on the "Secrets of the Warrior's Power" video.

Otherwise, I would agree with Si Sook Miami Mantis. Going to the Temple and seeing Sifu Tu or Sifu Mimi is just plain awesome.

)))Solar Stance(((

Brad
08-20-2001, 06:18 AM
Actually I don't remember seeing any Wah Lum on the discovery channel special. In the one I saw they talked to Chan Pui for a little bit then some of his students demonstrated a slight variation of the Nan Quan compulsory routine. It was really odd. Or maybe is was a TLC show that this happened.

Kiasyd
08-20-2001, 02:55 PM
Just to clarify... Brendan Lai's performance of Bung Bo in this video is exactly the one that we train in our school :)

-- Kiasyd

Tainan Mantis
08-20-2001, 03:38 PM
There is no Wah Lum in Taiwan. Not only that but back in 1990 I went to Hong Kong on a Wah Lum research mission. I was told there was no longer Wah Lum. Then this martial arts store called up Lee Koon Hung, the famous Choy Li Fut master_God rest his soul, and he said the same thing. He told me there was good Mantis in Taiwan, which there was, and so that is where I stayed.
In fact, America has the greatest variety of MA on Earth.

WahLumMantis
08-20-2001, 07:36 PM
Other than the books and videos available for purchase on at http://www.wahlum.com , the only thing I would recommend is following the links on that same site to other Wah Lum schools. Of course since you are close enough to a school to consider taking classes there, why not go down and see if they would do a short demonstration?

NorthernMantis
08-20-2001, 08:30 PM
Solar stance is right.Sifu Tu's stances are awesome and Sifu Mimi's way of teaching is top of the line.

Oh and yes I am biased because she was my Sifu :D :p

"Always be ready"

djphrenzy
08-20-2001, 09:16 PM
Good info...I'm going to try to get up to the school sometime this week to see a demonstration.

Thanks-

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat
http://www.djphrenzy.com

18elders
08-20-2001, 09:42 PM
In regards to you wanting to go see a demonstration. Don't be fooled by a flashy demo, ask him to explain EACH AND EVERY MOVE in his form, the applications to them, the counters to them, the 2 person drills from them and then variations of the techniques. Watch his students fight, do they use their techniques or just kick box???
I'm sure he can't apply half of the techniques in his form or even show you drills from them.

keep looking!

Hua Lin Laoshi
08-20-2001, 09:53 PM
Living Legends of Kung Fu can be purchased from the Temple or through any Wah Lum school across the country. I originally intended to put some short clips on the website but never followed through. I will be touring China on this years trip with Master Chan so I'll bring it up and maybe he'll be willing to release a short clip of himself in action. Probably not but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Tainan Mantis
I surprised you weren't directed to the Hong Kong headquarters for Wah Lum. The headquarters moved back to Sha Cheng in 1998. Granted it's a small school but there is still Wah Lum in China. I suspect there is more that isn't officially recognized by Master Chan.

woliveri
08-21-2001, 06:21 AM
Hey, 18elders. I totally missed the chance to come by your school when I was in Florida. Spent 2 weeks there and traveled around the state twice From O-Town to Ft Lauderdale to Sarasota to Largo back to O-Town and then down to the Keys and back up US 27. I am informing folks about your school and teacher John. I hope I don't miss the chance the next time I'm in town.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

18elders
08-21-2001, 02:56 PM
Hey, wish you could've stopped by.
Things are going well, learning some great kung fu.
Shr-fu John is thinking about bringing his teacher here in November, if not then it will be in March.
I'll let you know for sure.