PDA

View Full Version : rare Bung Bu book

Tainan Mantis
08-18-2001, 07:21 AM
I have a rare book by Won Hon Fun(Huang Han Hsun) that includes the Bung Bu 1 and 2 person sets. It is the same as the more common versions except for 1 crucial dif. Next to each of the pics on the one man set is a 4 line 28 character poem about that specific move. These poems-47 in total-are attributed to WHF's grand teacher Fan Hsu Dong.
In traditional Chinese culture literary works were sometims attributed to one's Shr-fu and so there is a possibility that these poems were not written by WHS's grand teacher Fan Hsu Dong.
Does anyone know or know a Shr-fu who can verify if these poems were indeed written by Fan Hsu Dong?

Lost_Disciple
08-19-2001, 08:51 PM
Not all that knowledgeable on the subject, but I read somewhere that Fan released his own individual book or set of books a looong time back. I also read that a large portion of the material in the WHF books was borrowed from those original books.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Tainan Mantis
08-20-2001, 03:54 PM
Where might you have read it?

Taijimantis
08-21-2001, 04:53 AM
Where would one find such a book?
it is somethingI would be very interested in having my Sifu perhaps looking at.

cha kuen
08-21-2001, 09:41 AM
Paul Eng can translate for you. He has all the wong hon fun books. He has told me that the words are actually poetry about the forms, technqiues and applications. It's up to the practioner to read into the words.

Tainan Mantis
08-21-2001, 10:17 AM
Translate all the books?? Sounds like a major undertaking.
How about listing the names and providing a method to purchase the books. I suspect that students of 7 star would buy the books even if they can't read Chinese just to see Grandmaster Hon's posture, and to make sure no moves are missing.
Also, for non-Chinese reading people, learning how to read just the names of the moves in the forms is a good introduction to learning Chinese as there is a lot of repetition.
Could you do your kung fu brothers and sisters the honor of relaying such a request to master Eng?
Thank you

Inquisitor
08-28-2001, 12:21 PM
According to my contacts, I believe Paul Eng is currently undertaking a rather large project himself. Rather than try to translate the vast sources of material from Chinese to English (of which half the meaning would be lost in translation anyway), he is apparently making a series of books and tapes specifically in English. Apparently these sources are to serve only as a reminder to students of the basic form movements/techniques/applications. However, as can be seen in his Seven Star PM books, he seems to enjoy adding tidbits of rather deep knowledge not just about the PM system, but of kungfu in general. Does anyone who is close to Sifu Eng know how far along he is in this project? Hopefully he hasn't decided to stop...

Lost_Disciple
08-30-2001, 07:46 AM
Sorry i didn't see this earlier.
I might have seen that on the Seven Star Praying Mantis Mailing List available through
http://www.authentickungfu.com
Hope it helps

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.