PDA

View Full Version : Flying Duck

GeneChing
10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Another odd Jackie project. I suppose it's better than Dying F***

Jackie Chan eyes role in 'Flying Duck' (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3iad5ddf5ece450a18cd53107792c14299)
Jia Zhangke film described as 'cross-border bromance'
By Karen Chu
Oct 13, 2009, 01:14 PM ET

BUSAN, South Korea -- Jackie Chan is in talks to play a role in "Flying Duck," a $5 million comic road movie produced by award-winning director and festival favorite Jia Zhangke, under his production company X Stream Pictures, Jia said.

Jia was at the Pusan International Film Festival to launch the first two films in an upcoming 100 million yuan ($14.7 million) four-picture slate scheduled for the coming year.

"Flying Duck," funded by China's Sunny Sky Culture and Media Investment Co., is described as a "cross-border bromance" by its Korean helmer, the Busan-born first-time feature director Baek Seung-Hoon, who studied at China's Beijing Film Academy and is fluent in Chinese.

The comedy is produced by Jia and his X Stream partner Chow Keung, and stars Chinese actress Ni Hong-jie and Korean actor Choi Joon-suk.

The producers are in talks with Chan, Chinese star Ge You ("If You Are the One") and Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Kar-fai ("The Lover") to appear in the film in cameo or larger roles. "Jackie Chan is very supportive of our initiative to launch new Asian directors," producer Chow said. "He has expressed interest in this film, and his role will play on his cop persona (from the 'Police Story' series)."

"Flying Duck" marks the first collaboration between Hong Kong/Beijing-based X Stream Pictures and Beijing's Sunny Sky Culture and Media Investment Co., which is developing towards an international market, said Sunny Sky GM Hu Mengxin. The companies are also producing "Love Replacement" by director Tang Xiaobai ("Perfect Life").

Filming will begin in November for a six-month shoot in Beijing, Chongqing, Sichuan, Hainan Island, and Busan. Jia said the project "fulfilled his wish," as he had his first festival experience with his debut "Pickpocket" in 1998 at the PIFF, where he won the New Currents Award. "It was through Busan that the world audience first knew my work, and I've always considered myself half a Busan local," Jia said. "So to be able to make a film in Busan with a true Busan citizen, it's fulfilled my wish."

Jia also presented "I Wish I Knew," a documentary on Shanghai produced by China's Shanghai Film Group, X stream Pictures, Beijing Yiming Media International and Star Art Vision.

"We all know that the World Expo will be held next year in Shanghai, but it's a little known fact that 100 years ago a Shanghai writer wrote a sci-fi story depicting Shanghai as a high-tech city and predicting Shanghai will host the World Expo in 100 years. It's a city where dreams come true," said Jia, who had interviewed more than 60 Shanghai residents for the documentary about the transformations of the city brought about by political and economic changes.

Jia expects to finish the film in April 2010, and release the film in time for the World Expo in July.