PDA

View Full Version : The Wolfman

Lucas
10-14-2009, 09:04 PM
The Wolfman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKn_RbCAAek&annotation_id=annotation_800911&feature=iv)

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing this. I've always been a fan of the old monster movies, dracula, the wolfman, creature from the black lagoon, etc.

Similar to the more recent Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, and Bram Stokers Dracula adaptions from the 90's as compared to the originals.

sanjuro_ronin
10-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Great actors make great movies, add to that great special effects and its great fun for everyone.

Jimbo
10-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Does this Wolfman look like a wolf, or like a hairy man with fangs? My old home computer can't access youtube. I ask because my favorite werewolf movies are The Howling (original), An American Werewolf in London, and Dog Soldiers, all featuring werewolves with wolf features.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to this one.

Lucas
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
from what i can tell its both.

ive seen shots of classic wolfman face but with modern effects to look super cool. but i saw some shots that show a snout as well. so it may be both depending on how feral/far his change is.

Lucas
10-16-2009, 04:52 PM
ive always been a big fan of the howling series too as well as dog brother (probably the best werewolf movie ive seen to date) so im partial to the snouted besial werewolf. its more intimidating and imposing imo.

personally im hoping its along the lines of him being old school wolfman style when he shifts but retains more of his humanity and hardcore man eating werewolf when he goes completely feral.

i think that would be a cool twist

Jimbo
10-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, it should be a great movie however it is. Before The Howling came out in 1981, my favorite werewolf movie was probably The Curse of the Werewolf, a 1961 Hammer film, starring Oliver Reed. That one had the classic cinematic "hairy man with pointy ears and fangs." I do agree that the wolf-snouted werewolf is more menacing (by far). After first seeing that shape-shift scene in The Howling, the man-faced wolfmen started looking a bit silly to me, even the one played by Jack Nicholson in Wolf.

Lucas
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree, how ever its done should be great regardless.

The Howling series definately marked a level of hardcoreness as far as werewolf movies go.

I've secretly been wanting a new Howling to be released for quite a while now.

there was the American Werewolf movies, one was really all comedy if i remember correctly, while they tried to be more serious with the second.

i remember one of the werewolves dying in the second one by a regular bullet, which ****ed me off. i mean if you're going to do werewolves, keep it consistent!

when i was a kid i was into this game called whitewolf. super duper cool werewolf art all throughout that game.

Lucas
10-22-2009, 01:46 PM
on a side note, ive always wondered if there is a connection to the myth of the werewolf and the norse mythology of Fenrir....

Lucas
10-22-2009, 02:04 PM
geeking out here:

apparently there is a connection with old norse. interesting stuff indeed.

'The word werewolf is thought to derive from Old English wer (or were)— pronounced variously as /ˈwɛər, ˈwɪər, ˈwɜr/— and wulf. The first part, wer, translates as "man" (in the specific sense of male human, not the race of humanity generally). It has cognates in several Germanic languages including Gothic wair, Old High German wer, and Old Norse verr, as well as in other Indo-European languages, such as Sanskrit 'vira', Latin vir, Irish fear, Lithuanian vyras, and Welsh gŵr, which have the same meaning. The second half, wulf, is the ancestor of modern English "wolf"; in some cases it also had the general meaning "beast." An alternative etymology derives the first part from Old English weri (to wear); the full form in this case would be glossed as wearer of wolf skin. Related to this interpretation is Old Norse ulfhednar, which denoted lupine equivalents of the berserker, said to wear a bearskin in battle.

Facsimile of the first seven lines of the 14th century English translation of the 12th century French manuscript The Romance of William of PalerneYet other sources derive the word from warg-wolf, where warg (or later werg and wero) is cognate with Old Norse vargr, meaning "rogue," "outlaw," or, euphemistically, "wolf".[1]

A Vargulf was the kind of wolf that slaughtered many members of a flock or herd but ate little of the kill. This was a serious problem for herders, who had to somehow destroy the rogue wolf before it destroyed the entire flock or herd. The term Warg was used in Old English for this kind of wolf. Possibly related is the fact that, in Norse society, an outlaw (who could be murdered with no legal repercussions and was forbidden to receive aid) was typically called vargr, or "wolf." '

Also the Greek Connection

"The term therianthrope literally means "beast-man." The word has also been linked to the original werewolf of classical mythology, Lycaon, a king of Arcadia who, according to Ovid's Metamorphoses, was turned into a ravenous wolf in retribution for attempting to serve his own son to visiting Zeus in an attempt to disprove the god's divinity."
wiki