PDA

View Full Version : Tien Shan Pai (opinions)

djphrenzy
08-21-2001, 06:43 AM
I'm trying to explore all the options for training in my area so that I can make an informed decision. Does anyone have any opinions/information on the Tien Shan Pai style? There is a school locally, the Head Instructor is Sifu Kenny Ware...anyone know of him?

PS I have appointments all this week to visit the schools I am mentioning.

Thanks-

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat
http://www.djphrenzy.com

Tainan Mantis
08-21-2001, 08:20 AM
My Shr-fu is the last disciple of Huang Jueh Zhen. I met him in 1989 just before I passed away. He was teaching an advanced Ba Gwa class to my Shr-fu and his top disciples. I sat and watched. After Grandmaster Huang finished I was asked, through an interpreter, to perform the form I had just witnessed.
"I don't know it, I've never seen it before," I protested.
"That's ok," He translated,"we want to see how smart you are."
Luckily, I had learned some Ba Gwa stepping in Wah Lum and only came off as looking marginally stupid. Then, they all wanted a performance of Wah Lum as they had never seen it before and I kicked out an,"18 Elbows."
"Wa?!" Said Master Shr," I only have 8 elbows."
They were nice enough to show me there kung fu. Two students did a 2 man sword vs sword form. I was salivating like a bulldog at a Texas bar-b-q. Can I join? Sure, no problem. Not soon after Grandmaster Huang passed away.
I've seen some videos of him performing as an old man and he was mighty impressive. He has a flying tiger fork form chock full of moves that appear to be physically impossible for a human being to do. The forms are a type of traditional longfist with many hard to execute techniques. As he spent his life learning his curriculum was highly varied.
The top man in the system today is Al Huang. He is very approachable and likes to help.
I would recommend that you direct some of your questions to him.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more specific questions...

djphrenzy
08-21-2001, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the post, very interesting. I'll try and get ahold of Al Huang through the website.

Any other thoughts people?

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat

NorthernMantis
08-21-2001, 04:53 PM
Only thing I can say is that the daughter of a famous Tien Shan Pai Sifu used o post here but she faded away after a hwile.

"Always be ready"

18elders
08-22-2001, 02:49 PM
I agree with TainanMantis, I would go there any day of the week instead of Sifu Naayers.

djphrenzy
08-23-2001, 04:44 AM
Unfortunately, I don't believe I'm going to be able to attend this school for reasons I'd care not discuss.

The Sifu in Columbus that only teaches privately is looking very promising. In e-mail correspondence, it seems I am being questioned to prove my worthiness (or something to that effect). Which in it self isn't that impressive, it just suggests to me that he isn't in it for money or fame. Just to pass on the art form.

Hopefully my answers to his questions were satisfactory. I'll let you guys know what's happening when he responds to my mail.

Later-

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat

NorthernMantis
08-23-2001, 04:18 PM
18 elders..you got beef with with wah lum? ;)

btw-Isn't 18 elders a form?I know I herad it from some place.

"Always be ready"

18elders
08-25-2001, 03:34 AM
yes it is a form.