PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn more about mantis

YoungMantis16
08-21-2001, 06:32 AM
I would like to know more about Praying mantis kung fu. I am new to kung fu so please bear with me. Is it a external or internal style, or both. Whats its origin,and whats the diffrence from northern and southern styles. Also my freind told me that the praying mantis style is one of the most powerful and popular system of kung-fu. Is that true? Thank you for you time.

BeiTangLang
08-21-2001, 01:35 PM
Your best bet would be to research these questions out on the net first....looking through message archives (like the ones here for example) that have the answers you seek. Several others have asked your qustions before & were answered.
Next, I would go visit some schools. They will give a better answer (normaly) than someone will give you over a message board.
One suggestion though, avoid questions like, "freind told me that the praying mantis style is one of the most powerful and
popular system of kung-fu. Is that true? "
First it tells the instructor that you have not researched the system before you came to visit. Second, it is bordering sounding like a challenge.
Third, almost any system will say "yes" to the question truthful or not.

websearch- praying mantis, preying mantis, etc.
Best of luck in your search

"It's all the same; Only the names have changed........."

Mantisman
09-09-2001, 06:59 AM
First of all praying mantis is a Greater Style i mean, The style is the result of so many style...
like monky crane. Praying mantis is a both, external and internal style...do you know taiji mantis? It's difficult to learn for beginner yours first year should be the mantis-forming
learning of basic kung-fu your footwork and the way to be mantis... Her the basic for the rest sak to your Sifu or read some book! ;)

cha kuen
09-10-2001, 05:52 PM
Taijimantis has nothing to do with tai chi. It's similar to northern 7 star mantis. One main difference is that tai chi mantis would rather use hops to generate power instead of crushing steps.

All styles of Chinese martial arts have internal and external aspects. One without the other would void the theory of yin and yang, soft and hard.

EARTH DRAGON
09-11-2001, 07:43 PM
please feel free to read about 8 step praying mantis on our web site, or ask any questions on our forum. hope you find what your looking for

http://www.kungfuUSA.net