PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Side Mount

ChinaBoxer
10-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Side Mount, Side Control, Side Position, Keep that Mofo on his Back, whatever you want to call it, is a very dominant position in grappling. what i wanted to convey is how i use many wing chun concepts and apply them to my grappling. to me, this is “chi sau” or sensitivity drills using the “body” rather than with the “third stick” of the arm, which is more familiar to a wing chun practitioner.

i want everyone to understand that this is only me sharing what works for me, there are many ways to control side mount, but due to my size, my strengths and weaknesses, this is what works for me. other grapplers have different strengths and weaknesses than my own and their method will adjust accordingly, such as “squaring up more”, keeping the far side knee down and using it to “block the opponents hip” or using their far side arm to “block the opponents hip. you as a martial artist should constantly research and find what works best for you.

I <3 submission grappling!

video here...enjoy! (http://www.thechinaboxer.com/2009/10/18/controlling-side-mount/)

take care and peace!

Jin

Three Harmonies
10-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Why not just train some BJJ or Sambo?

ChinaBoxer
10-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Why not just train some BJJ or Sambo?

from Wikipedia...

The sport of submission wrestling brings together techniques from Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Folk American Wrestling (Catch-as-catch-can), Luta Livre Esportiva, Freestyle Wrestling, Judo and Sambo.

Three Harmonies
10-19-2009, 04:07 PM
First of all a piece of advice...Wikipedia is one of the lamest sources one can use. Secondly... are you doing Submission Wrestling, or Wing Chun?? Your post is confusing.

MasterKiller
10-19-2009, 06:18 PM
It looks like useful stuff, but did you learn to wrestle outside of your wing chun practice? I hear lots of people claim they use kung fu principles on the ground, but in the end, it usually ends up being from some other source (if it's any good).

ChinaBoxer
10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
It looks like useful stuff, but did you learn to wrestle outside of your wing chun practice? I hear lots of people claim they use kung fu principles on the ground, but in the end, it usually ends up being from some other source (if it's any good).

haha..Master Killer is one of my all time favorite movies..nice! :)

wing chun has no real ground game, but does have a good anti grappling game. so to answer your question, the ground work that i practice does not come from wing chun. it comes from my years of Shooto, BJJ & submission grappling from some great instructors.

MasterKiller
10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
the ground work that i practice does not come from wing chun. it comes from my years of Shooto, BJJ & submission grappling from some great instructors.
Cool! I did the same thing with my long fist. I added some BJJ and freestyle wrestling to round out my skill set.

ChinaBoxer
10-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Cool! I did the same thing with my long fist. I added some BJJ and freestyle wrestling to round out my skill set.nice! keep me posted on your progress, peace!

Jin

Lucas
10-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Jin,

May I ask what part of the country you are in? Assuming you are in the states...

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Cool! I did the same thing with my long fist. I added some BJJ and freestyle wrestling to round out my skill set.

yeah pretty much what i've done over the years. Wrestling in HS was a plus for gaining a great ground game later on for movement. BJJ and submission was easy to pick up.

Seems that over the years with TCMA I just started seeing flaws and adding in things from other arts and styles to supplement. Did pai lum for years and hung gar for a good while. the kicks where awesome from that background but a lot lacking in the actual fighting department.

ChinaBoxer
10-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Jin,

May I ask what part of the country you are in? Assuming you are in the states...
i'm in Los Angeles, cA