PDA

View Full Version : Tai chi mantis

webbb82
08-25-2001, 03:48 PM
Hi all,
Wondering if any brothers or sisters have any info on the Tai chi mantis school in MA. Do any of you recommend it?

How do you guys play your sets compared to those performed in Sifu Tse Wing Mings books?

peace.

Jamie.

NorthernShaolin
08-25-2001, 09:44 PM
Most of the TCMP people left and are at http://forms.delphi.com/Taijimantis/messages where they can discuss items related to their style without the constant "My style is better than your stuff". For a while they were searching for students of their own style and now that they found each other they formed a tight family and have their own discussions and created another form. Anyone can join that form but most of the discussions is related to their style. Most of the TCPM people have background in other styles such as 7* or Northern Shaolin etc. before taking up TCPM. Sifu Tsu is one of the older practioners of TCPM and is the 8th generation of the style. That book was written many years ago. Most TCPM people in that form are either 9th or 10th genertation of the style so they will be performing their sets different. Students who can trace their roots to when GM Chiu taugh in H.K. will find that their sets are similar but not exactly while students who can trace their roots when GM Chiu taught in Vietnam will find the same sets are very different. The differents is because GM Chiu taught the same sets differently due to lack of space in H.K. and due to lost of memory from stress that the Vietnam government placed upon GM Chiu before he left their country for Hong Kong.

:) :cool:

Taijimantis
08-26-2001, 12:55 PM
From what I understand, having never met the man, Tsu Sifu is one of the few remaining of Grandmaster Chiu's "chosen 12" disciples from his time teaching in Vietnam, who is still alive and teaching. He is also the closest personally to my Sifu.
Having only seen my Sifu perform complete forms demonstrations twice in the years I have studied with him, I cant imagine anyone even close to his skill and power, yet here you are asking about oe of those who is.
I have seen video footage of Tsu Sifu's son, who is without a doubt the best Mantis practitoner in the world from my generation of students. The footage was a flawless demonstration of the whip chain set.

I had it put to me this way. If Sifu Ly was to retire, I needed to move to Boston.

webbb82
08-26-2001, 04:19 PM
You mean Chiang Sifu, not Tsu sifu right?

mantis108
08-26-2001, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the free publicity NorthernShaolin. :D

I started the Taiji Mantis forum so that our TCPM brothers can get togather and exchange ideas and news which most of the time are style specific. My intention is not to draw the attention away from this forum. But nice to know that there are people keeping an eye out for us. Thanks :)

As for the difference in curriculums, which includes the 3 major periods, namely Shantung, Vietnam and Hong Kong, of Sigung Chiu's career, IMHO (and it doesn't represent opinion other than my own) it would be more of a reflection of his refinement throught out his life. He was among those martial artists who would constantly improve himself. There was/is alway room for improvement. While it is true that the Vietnam curriculum seems to be more extensive and offers a wider range of materials, the Hong Kong curriculum is designed toward the core or essence of the style. The Vietnam curriculum has quite a bit of Ching Wu flavour, since Sigung Chiu was teaching at the Ching Wu Vietnam branches. He would have to follow the Ching Wu directives. Also Ching Wu at that time had a strong 7 stars influence; therefore, there were forms such as Da Sui Fan Che, which are not included in the HK curriculum. Other than that I believe his teaching style and methodology remained consistant throught out his career. Just thought that I share this thought with you.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

NPM
08-27-2001, 03:18 AM
Mantis108 and NorthernShaolin,

Good job on your thorough explanations.

NPM

Taijimantis
08-27-2001, 03:55 AM
My Bad.

Tainan Mantis
08-27-2001, 09:09 AM
When I try to go to the web page you have shown my screen says,"specified server can not be found."
Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
Is there any other way to get to that page?

webbb82
08-27-2001, 10:22 AM
Go to www.myforums.com (http://www.myforums.com)

webbb82

Young Mantis
08-27-2001, 04:20 PM
I have found that you can still use that link however there is a typo. The "u" is missing from the word forums. Try this one:
http://forums.delphi.com/Taijimantis/messages

mantis108
08-27-2001, 10:11 PM
Thank you, NPM. Hope you and others would have a pleasant visit at the Taiji Mantis forum.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa