PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Man

GeneChing
10-22-2009, 09:32 AM
I thought there was already a thread for this, but maybe I'm mistaken. It didn't turn up in a search.

Matrix stuntman to head cast of China Film’s Kung Fu Man (http://www.screendaily.com/territories/asia-pacific/matrix-stuntman-to-head-cast-of-china-films-kung-fu-man/5007210.article)
22 October, 2009 | By Screen staff

The Matrix series stuntman Tiger Hu Chen is set to star in a Chinese-language action drama Kung Fu Man, financed by China Film Group and Chinese private investor He Gang.

Vanessa Branch (Pirates Of The Caribbean series) and Chinese actress Jiang Mengjie will also star in the $2.93m (RMB20m) film.

Daxing Zhang, one of the producers on John Woo’s Red Cliff and actor and kung-fu coordinator on the Charlie’s Angels and The Matrix series, serves as producer on the film, along with Li Xiaowan of Beijing’s Rosat Films.

Its understood that The Matrix star Keanu Reeves has also invested in the film.

Scheduled to start shooting on Oct 28, Kung Fu Man will tell a contemporary story about a martial arts practitioner, who accidentally rescues a Caucasian boy from a foreign kidnapping group, and changes the boy’s world perspective and values. Branch and Chyna McCoy (G.I. Joe) will play the villains.

Shooting locations will be mainly in Yunnan province, as well as Hainan island and Hong Kong. Ning Ying and Cheung-yan Yuen, brother of Yuen Wo-ping and stuntman for films such as Charlie’s Angels and Daredevil, will co-direct the film. Sean O’Dea (Red Sands) will serve as director of photography.

Production is scheduled to wrap at the end of this year and the release date in China will be scheduled for summer 2010.

Here's an earlier rumor about this project

Keanu wants back in the Yuen Clan with 'Tai Chi Tiger' (http://twitchfilm.net/news/2008/04/keanu-wants-back-in-the-yuen-clan-with-tai-chi-tiger.php)

by Andrew Mack, April 23, 2008 8:56 AM

Keanu Reeves has been prepping a martial arts film tentatively titled Tai Chi Tiger. According to an interview he did in Seoul he revealed that he had asked the king of martial arts choreography, a man who has a knack for making gweilos look half competent at Kung Fu, Yuen Wo-ping to be involved in the project in some capacity about six months ago. Though the script is not complete he would show it to Yuen once done. He had hoped that Yuen would direct the film but Yuen revealed recently that he wishes to only be involved as the Martial Arts Director.

So who would direct the film? It would seem that Reeves' martial arts teacher and member of the Yuen Clan, Tiger Chen, would not only direct this film but also star in it alongside Reeves. Is he good? You tell me. Tiger Chen has choreographed martial arts for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Matrix trilogy, Charlie's Angels and Kill Bill. Yeah, I'd say he's qualified. The two have already been scouting locations in China. This would be the directorial debut for Tiger Chen.

Oh, and the report also says that Yuen has invited Reeves to be involved in another project next year. Could this be the unnamed Wo-ping project that recently made a worldwide casting call for martial artists? Had we known it included the chance to whup Keanu's butt we would have made something up to get into the casting call.

doug maverick
10-22-2009, 04:46 PM
i just was talking about it on another thread. think it was the hands of shang chi thread.

solo1
10-23-2009, 07:02 AM
I thought there was already a thread for this, but maybe I'm mistaken. It didn't turn up in a search.

Here's an earlier rumor about this project

Isnt "gweilos" kind of a derogatory term?

Lucas
10-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Gweilo!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gweilo)