PDA

View Full Version : What kind of martial artist are you?

Yum Cha
10-22-2009, 05:06 PM
There is a lot of discussion about full contact, forms, technique training and becoming a good martial artist/fighter.

What kind of martial arts practice do you do?

xcakid
10-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Started off wanting to fight all the time in my teens and twenties. Mid twenties I slowly began the appreciation for technique, learning applications of forms and learning about the history aspects of martial arts. Now that I am in my 40's, I'm slowly transitioning into a forms dancer and teaching. :cool:

David Jamieson
10-22-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm the kind that likes to eat good food, commutes to work and enjoys his weekends.

yeah! :D

SPJ
10-22-2009, 06:54 PM
I voted

1. conditioning, most of the time, if you are not fit, everything is in the air.

2. some light sparring,

3. solo bagwork, partner work out with techniques, some equipment training.

most of the time is choice 1, and then choice 3

choice 2 is less and less for me. due to fewer and fewer fighting bodies that are in my age bracket from 45 to 55.

:cool:

monkey mind
10-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Had a brief full-contact career but nowadays focus on basic techniques, partner drills, forms & bagwork. None of my MA training partners are as into conditioning as I am, so I do strength (bodyweight exercises) & cardio (triathlon) training on my own.

Lokhopkuen
10-23-2009, 01:51 AM
I'm the very sexy type, surrounded by beautiful women, very rich, eccentric, did i mention sexy?:D

SPJ
10-23-2009, 08:40 AM
I did not vote for forms training.

I do pratice of single posture and some combo drills in the air and against pads/bags.

in a sense, they are short forms.

but practice a long form for the purpose of performance/show, that I do not favor.

:)

Yum Cha
10-23-2009, 02:06 PM
I wish I could have edited the poll to read light sparring, light or no gloves. There's too big a gap between the two. Then again, you could probably break it into 7 categories just as easily.

MMA comp
San Da comp
Full Contact Kickboxing comp
Club full contact
Club full contact with body armour
Club light contact with light gloves
touch sparring

I think the big difference is between competition, club full and club light contact, more or less.

SPJ - I don't really associate any kinds of forms training as for show. Its just training...

uki
10-23-2009, 02:14 PM
i would consider myself one of the highly defensive types... i will not engage physically unless physically provoked to action... i let the other person make the first move. conditioning is a big part of my training. i practice elbows on a utility pole, which serves as my heavy bag at the moment(the deer ate the corn out of my last heavy bag). my masonry job provides ample weight training on a daily basis... i juggle the iron balls everyday for atleast a half hour total time. morning and evening free form work - most stepping is circular and spiraling - emphasis is mostly tiger and dragon aspects applied to bagua stepping patterns. i also have three posts in the ground for three-step forms... the poles help to forge and mold exact stepping methods/distance... as for my fighting "attitude", you can let my posts speak for themselves - nothing like a well placed goat-neck head. :D

Yum Cha
10-23-2009, 02:25 PM
...(the deer at the corn out of my last heavy bag)...

Somewhere in here is a screenplay Uki.

My mate is a waterproofer, he puts on really thick goo with a brush all day.

You don't EVER want to let him grab you....:D

When work and training align, man you get some great results.

Do you get Melaluca (paperbark) trees there? Nature's heavy bag.

uki
10-23-2009, 02:35 PM
When work and training align, man you get some great results.i hear ya. you have to pad(chicken step) when wheeling concrete on wire, i use mantis hooks to climb scaffolding, deep horse to lift 5' lintels, stance work and root is everything when manuevering a 450lb wheelbarrow of concrete across uneven terrain or along 2x10 running planks... chimney blocks are held on the head, jumping up and off the truck every time... in and out of the hole... you can juggle bricks and stone, play cigar box juggling with smaller blocks... practice iron palm on FHA's, shoveling sand utilizes a variety of stances. i love my job, it has it all... even laying blocks i utilize bagua waist turning 180 degrees to lay the block to the line, while maintaining a frontal toe pointing position away from the wall that is being built. this week we are using 12's... full foundation, 14 courses high, capped with FHA's... 12 5' lintels on the 12th course... good stuff man.

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 03:31 PM
this week we are using 12's... full foundation, 14 courses high, capped with FHA's... 12 5' lintels on the 12th course... good stuff man.

Nah good stuff = 12inch keystone, 120 pound retaining wall block... but oh I forgot there is no one else in the world who does any type of block work besides you... excuse me i'll step aside. :rolleyes:

uki
10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
excuse me i'll step aside.about time you observed the pecking order around here. :p

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
order is a highly subjective term....

Lucas
10-23-2009, 03:37 PM
now thats a subjective subject based around subjectivity!

uki
10-23-2009, 03:42 PM
now thats a subjective subject based around subjectivity!but, what is the subject??

Lucas
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
but, what is the subject??

subjectivity!

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
now thats a subjective subject based around subjectivity!

UKi this ought to be your signature at the bottom of your posts.

uki
10-23-2009, 03:44 PM
UKi this ought to be your signature at the bottom of your posts.thats a highly subjective assumption to what "should" be mine...

Lucas
10-23-2009, 03:45 PM
rofl!!!!!!!

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
ought or should... yep that's why they are in the dictionary so I can't claim ownership or authority.... more like a suggestion there UKI....

uki
10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
more like a suggestion there UKI....well then it was a stupid suggestion... of course "stupid" is highly subjective... :p

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 03:54 PM
don't know about being stupid i thought it was very fitting.

uki
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
don't know about being stupid i thought it was very fitting.what you deem to be "fitting" is subjective...

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 03:56 PM
possibly... but oh well...

uki
10-23-2009, 03:59 PM
possibly... but oh well...hahahahahaha!!! is this the same as throwing in the towel??? LOL. :p

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
throw the towel in??

why on earth would i do this good sir? I didn't know we were competing for one, oh oh.... theres a word you don't know much about isn't it COMPETING.

well since I know we are now in a competition would u please explain the rule sets plz. :)

uki
10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
well since I know we are now in a competition would u please explain the rule sets plz.honor and integrity. :)

Dragonzbane76
10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
ah but you've forgotten the number one rule....

THIS IS THE INTERWEBZZZ.... you don't win even if you think you have.

uki
10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
ah but you've forgotten the number one rule....

THIS IS THE INTERWEBZZZ.... you don't win even if you think you have.and on the flipside no one loses either... :p

Yum Cha
10-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Interesting that around the same number do soft stuff as do the hard stuff....