Golden Arms
10-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Good movement :) Thanks for the videos.

chusauli
10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Well done.

sanjuro_ronin
10-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Nice work and great quality on the video too.

David Jamieson
10-31-2009, 07:46 AM
good job!
nicely executed form

jow yeroc
11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Very nice Dang Fung representation SifuYui!! Nicely done..

Ao Qin
11-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Excellent form / shape / effort:)! Almost makes me wish I was doing the Hung Gar again (almost)...thanks for sharing this!

AQ

chusauli
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
The indifference of the audience during the banquets, the waiters' hustle and bustle, the chowing down, all reminded me of the stupid demos we gave when we were students so long ago in NYC.

I don't miss that part at all.

And upon looking at the editing/cutting of the form, and seeing more extensions of the bridge and elongation of the stances, all I am reminded of is the demo look - almost Wushu like, rather than the classic set.

"Mai Dit Da Yao" is what is echoing - selling the Dit Da Herbs street performance. A good street show...but is that what Hung Ga is?

SifuYui
11-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Robert,

The "wushu" look as you call it, is definitely intentional. When you're competing against people who are flashy, you have to be flashy as well to stand a chance these days. But so what? What I do in a performance is to entertain and get people to say, "I want to study Hung Ga". And you should know better than anyone else that we rarely show the entire form (too long and too boring). How I teach and apply my Hung Ga is definitely different than what is in the demo, but it wouldn't be "flashy" enough. How you learned Hung Ga from Yee Sifu is different than how I learned it, so clearly your Hung Ga and my Hung Ga will be different, but you can't tell me mine is wrong. I've seen vintage videos of how you and many of the first generation students performed and your forms all look different from how we do it 2 generations later.

So "YES" it is Hung Ga: MY Hung Ga demo form :)

Yui

chusauli
11-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Yui,

Not saying its wrong. It just is.

Its a demo and the lines are extended - different from the classical short arm, shorter bridge, shorter stance, timing, etc. It is more and more like Wu Shu Nan Quan. In a few more generations like that, the system has completely changed, especially if they take that to be the norm.

Its fine to look at - Wu Shu, XMA - they are all good shows - they should be called PMA (Performance Martial Arts).

Yes, it attracts students and entertaining. I completely understand the need to keep the Kwoon doors open and pay for your time.

Golden Arms
11-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Yui,

Not saying its wrong. It just is.

Its a demo and the lines are extended - different from the classical short arm, shorter bridge, shorter stance, timing, etc. It is more and more like Wu Shu Nan Quan. In a few more generations like that, the system has completely changed, especially if they take that to be the norm.

Its fine to look at - Wu Shu, XMA - they are all good shows - they should be called PMA (Performance Martial Arts).

Yes, it attracts students and entertaining. I completely understand the need to keep the Kwoon doors open and pay for your time.

Its so rare to see people doing short bridge and tighter stuff in Hung nowadays, I don't normally even comment on it.

SifuYui
11-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry I got sensitive there Robert :D

You're right, the bridges are extended and stances are wider, but for the reasons I stated - purely for show. It goes back to our philosophy of training BIG but use small. Trust me, we still teach the short bridging as that is how we fight at close range. In fact, we drill our techniques to get the proper shape (training), and then we drill it application-wise; that's when we shorten it to "how would I use this in reality".

Golden Arms and Robert, in our school, we strive to maintain our Hung Ga so that it doesn't become kickboxing and wushu; thanks for your input.

Hey Robert, I just got back from San Francisco, aren't you there on the West Coast?

Yui

bamboozled
12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
SifuYui and chusauli,

Interesting comments...personally, I give the demo a big thumbs up, like the other video(s) by SifuYui, then again I never learnt Ng Ying. It would be awesome if you could post the same sequence done the classic (non-wushu) way.

Thanks.

mooyingmantis
12-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I thought the performance was excellent!
I think the wu shu comparison was totally out of line. I have a video of Sifu Yee's students, including his son as a small boy, performing Gung Gee Fuk Fu, Ng Ying Kuen and Fu Hok Sheung Ying Kuen on a TV program. The stances and bridges were no different than what Sifu Yui demonstrated. The performer who did Ng Ying Kuen even added Di Tong movements to the end of his Ng Ying Kuen performance for the TV show. So I don't understand where the criticism comes from.
Thank you for sharing the video! It makes me miss my Hung Gar forms. :)
Richard

Lee Chiang Po
12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I know nothing about Hung Gar, but I do feel that this was a very good demonstration of that skill. It looked strangely familiar. It also looks difficult to learn. For me. I could see the practical applications of this skill as well. It don't mean anything, but I really didn't see the Wushu look at all. I have seen kung fu demonstrations on utube and could easily see the Wushu effect.

LCP