PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a practice plan?

BlueyedBoxer
10-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Ive been practicing wushu for about 6 months now and want to get serious with my training. Because the classes are pretty far from my home and I can only afford to go once per week. I need to put together a training schedule. So i need some help from you more experienced guys.

Ok how long should I practice everyday? (30 minutes? an hour? three hours?) And should I practice everything in one day? (forms, basics, applications, ect, ect) or have specific days for each thing (form day, basics day, ect)? How many reps should I do for each move (20 front stretch kicks? 30? 40? 100?). Should conditioning be part of my wushu training or something I do outside of it? (like wushu practice then finish with conditioning right away? or wushu practice then rest then conditioning?).

Thanks in advance for your help

Pork Chop
10-28-2009, 06:56 AM
well I'm assuming you want to get better at wushu first and then layer fitness on top of that as you can.

for training in general, the most important thing is consistency, you've gotta plan long term.
Going hard core for a few weeks isn't going to do you much good if it burns you out and takes you away from training.

one time a week really isn't enough to improve at something, so you're going to want to build on that.

i'd say start out with adding 1 session on your own for about 30 minutes.
as far as what to cover, start by just doing the easy version of your once-a-week class.
do that for about 2 weeks.
then start building on it.
add extra sessions first and then add time/intensity.
but don't increase either more often than once every 2 weeks to give your body time to adjust.

as time goes on and you want to add more exercises, cover the essentials of class first, and then focus on your weaknesses.

Oso
10-28-2009, 07:14 AM
uh, yea...what he said. :D