PDA

View Full Version : Go Yankees and Jum sao question

k gledhill
10-28-2009, 07:04 AM
been a while. I told myself I would buy a new hat when they win their next World Series....my hat is in shreds, looks like a tramp slept on it :D TIME FOR A NEW HAT !:D

Do you do Jum sao in the slow sequence of your SLT ?
Jum sao in dan chi ?

?

Yoshiyahu
10-28-2009, 07:06 AM
been a while. I told myself I would buy a new hat when they win their next World Series....my hat is in shreds, looks like a tramp slept on it :D TIME FOR A NEW HAT !:D

Jum sao in dan chi ?

?

Yes, We do Jum Sao in Dan Chi Sau.

In our Sil Lim Tao our opening also has a Jum Sao. As well as when you do the wu sau fuk sau motion thrice. Everytime your Fok Sau expands outward you Jum Sau slightly and then bring you wu back to center and Fok outward or away again?

Vajramusti
10-28-2009, 07:49 AM

Jum sao in dan chi ?

?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jum sao in the SLOW sequence? No

Jum Sao in dan chi? No

World series- Yankees- No! Anyone but- Mets, Dodgers, Angels too bad-Go Phillies!

joy chaudhuri

Lee Chiang Po
10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
At great risk of being completely ignored, I have a comment on this. In learning the Sil Lim Tao, I was at first instructed to do each and every set in slow motion in order to do it with perfect form. This eventually sped up, but not to the extent that I have seen on some Utube video. I do it in a smooth, fluid motion if at all possible, but not super fast. I see no need to do it in slow motion. The set is designed to familiarize you with hand positions when in stance. Or when defending your center. Elbow position, lead hand position, and rear hand position with rear hand elbow position as well. The fook is tossed in just because it will fit. It can be employed from the rear hand position quite well. The huen sao and pull are the most practiced moves, but most people I have watched do not employ it as I was taught it. The return to the chamber is actually a grab and pull. Or so I was taught, and it does seem to work quite well.

k gledhill
10-29-2009, 05:45 AM
The jum sao is the elbow contraction inwards [ not a visible act] to maintain the elbow line / wrist before relaxing elbow out to bring vusao back to its attacking position, then relaxing the wrist [ making a fook] to push the elbow out along the strike line.... jum sao again repeat etc... 3 jum sao's.

in the latter section we also do a tan to jum back to tan , a simple contraction making the elbow stay inwards with no visible movement on the line, then turning the arm to form tan 2 strikes with neither leaving the line, but with simple elbow contraction delivering a strike protecting t the line from outside & inside...jum /tan elbow out & elbow in.

elbow contraction teaches to hold the forearms in alignment to strike in SLT...moving on then we use the same actions in dan chi-sao...

tan sao uses the outwards movement of the elbow to try and displace the partners responding with inwards jum sao , while holding the wrist line to aim along the line....the partner retracts the tan strike a little to prepare for the jum punch and moves the strike laeft or right as it comes in, stay up a second while the strike recoils back to a fook [ netral elbow] and the bong elbow drops to recover a tan strike starting position...

one force TAN [tan elbow spreading off] tries to use its equal opposite energy jum [jum elbow staying inwards along the line].
Each is facing the other in the drill to develop low striking elbow positions for non sticky feeling fighting strikes ....its easy to seee how sticky feeling & rolling happens without knowing the jum sao ...one tends to use the wrist action....meaning JUM disappears from the sequence of training the TWO STRIKING PARTNERS jum and tan.

after learning the 2 stage strikes in dan chi sao ...we understand that the drill is redundant, tactically, and in striking in fights we will never do a 1-2 inward elbow defelction drill then strike ...it becomes ONE ACTION a punch using the forearm [ by elbow control] to deflect anything inside its line direction....at attack angles with motion during a fight .
Tan [elbow spreads off the line] becomes a strike that uses its elbow leaving the line outwards to deflect as we punch....

Combine the 2 from either flanking attack angles and we can deliver continuous strikes with 2 simple actions that keep the side your attacking from entering your centerline...

iow left tan strike [ we face the target squarely from angles] attack the guys left arm potential line of force to your center, followed as it retracts from the attack by Jum sao strike, this shuts down entry to your line seamlessly as the tan retracts ...making a simple two handed strike exchange cover the centerline ...endlessly, with little thought because by design the strikes are closing the opponents attempts to attack your center...

move to chi-sao and we develop either side of our attacking angles with movement [entering and countering ] .
Each side is able to act equally to attack in random thoughtless actions....
If an arm x's ours we bong it...
we use each others opposite defection strike to dvelop our opposite...tan strike is struck back by jum strike [ neither just statically blocks then hits, now just hitting].

iow we move on in the development of the little idea of SLT...

we can then see a progressive end to free sparring with no pre- feeling forwards pressure sticky thinking...because we have a different idea of development in us...

free sparring we don't adopt a lead leg entry us we want to be able to move along a line left or right , depending what side the opponent extends towards us first, [chi-sao drills attacking from either side to us and we countering either side].
So we use a side stance enabling us to turn to face the opponent and try to gain the best positions with movement and adopting a tactical idea to try to shift and angle to attack using the striking developed earlier....the tan& jum energy in the arms is not visible to the naked eye beyond being chain punches....

If we adopt a lead leg and charge into the center we lose any reason fro having done the drills :D becasue we wont be attacking along potential 'intersections' of force towards us....iow if we go into the middle we have lines of force making our arms leave our own centerlines ...we all know the results of trying to block a punch with a tan while standing in front of a charging attack...dont we ?

jum sao in SLT is the PRE position before the strike fires ...same with tan...they are preceded in the SLT by striking along the line, intersecting the line with the wrists slightly x ing the line....making the line entry to us impossible without making contact with our arms at attack angles ...iow we dont have to think about arms coming at us as we attack because by design the alignment and angles will do it for us....without thinking.
If we make contact along the line as we attack our responses are ingrained from chi-sao contact reflexes ...mindless responses.

Attacking with little thought or little or no idea :D but without jum you wont develop it. Or tan strike for that matter, instead you will be using tan to fly off the line one direction while striking elbow off-line with the other ..

Go Yankees !! [ mets ? JOY have you been watching the shmets play lately ? ]

Yoshiyahu
10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
At great risk of being completely ignored, I have a comment on this. In learning the Sil Lim Tao, I was at first instructed to do each and every set in slow motion in order to do it with perfect form. This eventually sped up, but not to the extent that I have seen on some Utube video. I do it in a smooth, fluid motion if at all possible, but not super fast. I see no need to do it in slow motion. The set is designed to familiarize you with hand positions when in stance. Or when defending your center. Elbow position, lead hand position, and rear hand position with rear hand elbow position as well. The fook is tossed in just because it will fit. It can be employed from the rear hand position quite well. The huen sao and pull are the most practiced moves, but most people I have watched do not employ it as I was taught it. The return to the chamber is actually a grab and pull. Or so I was taught, and it does seem to work quite well.

I love your message...your style of WC sounds like my own...i also love the way you spoke about smooth fluidity of motion which I calll I the flow. Many people only practice SLT with rigid force or choppy movements. Which has its place. One should break down each point for a specific reason. But also one should practice with flow. I agree with you on many points. But i think one should also practice the forms in slow motion. There is a multitude of reasons i say this...But practicing slow and super fast has many advantages. In short practicing really slow will teach you things that you will not learn practicing fast. An practicing super fast will teach you things that you will not learn practicing super slow. Try to practice Slow,Medium and Fast for one Month. An tell me if you notice any difference in your WC or the way you think of the techniques.

There are many beneifts from practicing slow and fast. From Jing, Chi,Shen, Chin and even muscle memory as well as anaerobic memory and conditioning.

Lee Chiang Po
11-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I love your message...your style of WC sounds like my own...i also love the way you spoke about smooth fluidity of motion which I calll I the flow. Many people only practice SLT with rigid force or choppy movements. Which has its place. One should break down each point for a specific reason. But also one should practice with flow. I agree with you on many points. But i think one should also practice the forms in slow motion. There is a multitude of reasons i say this...But practicing slow and super fast has many advantages. In short practicing really slow will teach you things that you will not learn practicing fast. An practicing super fast will teach you things that you will not learn practicing super slow. Try to practice Slow,Medium and Fast for one Month. An tell me if you notice any difference in your WC or the way you think of the techniques.

There are many beneifts from practicing slow and fast. From Jing, Chi,Shen, Chin and even muscle memory as well as anaerobic memory and conditioning.

You are right I think. When I was learning the forms I was taught one section at a time. I would learn it perfectly, or close to perfect, before moving to the next section. I would do each section dozens of times a day, starting in slow motion until I had it completely memorized. Then I would move to the next section, adding the first section to the beginning. Eventually I had the complete form start to finish. I would get up early for school, would do stretches and then exercises, then I would do the form that I had at the time. I would do it very slowly, concentrating on perfect form. Then I would do it a little quicker, and then again a little faster, and a little faster, until I would begin to lose form. I would not proceed beyond that. Eventually I would be able to do it really fast and yet maintain what could be called perfect form. I had learned the sections, move by move, had it explained to me exactly what I was doing and why, then I could do it with conviction. I did my forms many times a day, morning and night. Along with the usual training. When I do the sil lim, I do it with conviction as if I were applying it in action. I do not actually move my feet, and I do not actually step. Everything is to be done strictly on center line. If it must be altered from center it is done by shifting the hips and body, yet the action will remain on center. This is what sil lim has taught me.