PDA

View Full Version : I found my Sifu! (kind of long)

djphrenzy
08-28-2001, 12:35 PM
Well, after about 10 months of rigorous searching I found someone that I am very comfortable with. Actually, I'm not only comfortable with him, but I feel priveledged to learn from him.

His name is Sifu Eric Knight and he teaches in his backyard, which I might add looks like something out of a Shaolin movie. There are poles coming out of the ground, a rather large bowl looking wooden structure, and various other things of interest.

I went last night for a free lesson. I was immediately impressed. We talked for about 30 minutes, and it seems his priorities are very similar to mine. He informed me that he had studied under Dr. Fred Wu as a disciple for about 30 years before he passed away. Dr. Wu taught him in a very traditional manner, and that's how he teaches.

He immediately pegged me as either a white crane or mantis stylist based on my body structure and how I carry myself. Which I found interesting, because these are the two styles that interest me most.

After our short disscussion we moved outside where one of his other students was working on stances. He gave me a few demonstrations of forms. He did 18 elders (which he called 18 old man), then he did a Pa Kua form (his specialty style) and last he did a white crane form.

I am by no means an expert, but in viewing the way he executed his forms I could tell that he is a worthy teacher. I have visited several schools and seen many teachers do many forms, but they seemed forced in comparison. His forms flowed from technique to technique, almost to the point where it was hard to tell what was going on. Also of worthy note, I noticed that as he changed styles his attitude also changed. When he did the mantis form, he was patient and controlling. When he did crane, he was graceful and balanced. In the Pa Kua form he was sincere and fluid-like.

After the forms he informed me that he teaches all of his students the basic stances first. He stressed that a good foundation is key. He said that it will take me about two months of stance practice to be comfortable enough in order to move on to the next stage. So, for three hours I worked with him on my cat stance and horse stance. Yes, my legs are very sore.

I thank you guys for your help in my quest. :D

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat
http://www.djphrenzy.com

Kiasyd
08-28-2001, 03:35 PM
Congratulations! It's very rewarding when you find a sifu that you're confortable :)

-- Kiasyd

djphrenzy
08-28-2001, 04:13 PM
I find myself wanting to practice the two stances I learned, even though it hurts like hell. "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." :)

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat

Scarletmantis
08-28-2001, 08:13 PM
Hey DJ, care to let me know how I might get in touch with your Sifu? I too am looking for a "worthy" teacher, and am willing to relocate when I find one. Like your Sifu, I also practice Ba Gua and Mantis. Thanks! Scarletmantis@hotmail.com

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war."

- The Way and the Power

nobody
08-29-2001, 07:16 PM
would this then be five animal, or southarn shoalin gung-fu??

djphrenzy
08-29-2001, 07:51 PM
Neither...

I start training with Seven Star Praying Mantis (Qixing Tang Lang Quan) and Northern White Crane (Bai He Quan). After I learn some of the basics, I can decide which system to persue based on which suits me best.

Both are Northern systems. :)

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat

nobody
08-30-2001, 05:39 AM
7star...dont know much about it, except that 8 step is an offshoot of it. :D white crane sounds quit einteresting...it would be most helpful if you or someone else can tell me a little bit about it. what can i say, i love knowledge ;)

brassmonkey
08-30-2001, 09:24 AM
Northern White Crane that's Tibetan right? Good sign that your new Sifu emphasizes the basics. Personally I'd try to talk him into teaching you the Baguazhang if that's his speciality.

djphrenzy
08-30-2001, 09:32 AM
...to convey what Sifu has told me about the white crane system.

White Crane is a Northern long-fist style that is believed to have originated in or near Tibet. It is generally refered to an external system because it focuses on utilizing natural power as opposed to internal force. The system relies on body movement and postures for evasion, and lighting fast strikes using the "cranes beak" hand form. It is a very upright style that requires balance and agility. It is well suited to tall, thin practitioners.

Also, it has an interesting advance/retreat technique refered to as chit bo (I think) which involves kicking the front foot foward with the back foot to advance, and visa-versa to retreat.

That's what I know about the system so far. :D

Steve "Phrenzy"
Kali/Pentjak Silat

nobody
08-30-2001, 04:15 PM
n/t

Scarletmantis
08-31-2001, 01:19 AM
What's the matter DJ? Don't you want to share? If you don't want to post your Sifu's name, you can get us in touch via my E-mail address:

Scarletmantis@hotmail.com

I would reeealllyy appreciate it!

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war."

- The Way and the Power

rumantid
08-31-2001, 03:38 AM
Scarlet Mantis
He did post it. His name is Eric Knight

cha kuen
09-01-2001, 03:35 AM
IF you want to relocate to find a worthy teacher , let me recommend to you:

Tony Puyot (7 star mantis)
Frank Primicias (choy lay fut) www.choylayfut.com (http://www.choylayfut.com)
Mike patterson (Hsing yi, tai chi , pa kua) www.hsing-i.com (http://www.hsing-i.com)
Steve Martin (dragon, waterboxing) www.sojournpast.com (http://www.sojournpast.com)

They are all in san diego, california.

Scarletmantis
09-01-2001, 04:13 AM
So he did! Apologies, DJ!

Cha Kuen, I have really seriously been considering Tony Puyot, but this is the first time anyone else has recommended him to me. San Diego is about an hour and a half trip from where I live, and I wouldn't have to move at all to practice with him. I have been unsuccessfully trying to get ahold of him. Do you know what part of San Diego he teaches out of? A thousand thanks, in advance! :)

Oh, and by the way, has anyone heard of Don Newton teaching Tai Chi Mantis out of San Bernardino?

- The Way and the Power

FIRE HAWK
09-01-2001, 03:18 PM
I found another of Dr. Wu s students besides Eric and Steve his name is Ron Bey and he teaches in are hometown of Dayton Ohio in Trootwood at Bey Shaolin Martial Arts but he is a expert of Wing Chun only.I see that you found out what kind of White Crane Sifu Eric teaches so its Tiebetein White Crane.Talk to you soon on the chat box we talk on.Fire Hawk or Robert

dwid
09-03-2001, 09:05 PM
Quote: "He informed me that he had studied under Dr. Fred Wu as a disciple for about 30 years before he passed away. Dr. Wu taught him in a very traditional manner, and that's how he teaches."

Sorry to ****s on the parade. Mr. Knight was neither a 30 year student of Dr. Wu's, nor was he a disciple. He studied with Dr. Wu irregularly for some period of time. Dr. Wu may have taught him some very basic bagua material, but he never taught him any of the system for which he was the lineage-holder (Guang Hua Mountain Bagua). I train with the man who was Dr. Wu's senior student at the time of his death, and the only one Dr. Wu authorized to teach his Bagua.

No offense is intended to DJPhrenzy, as we have spoken via e-mail and he seems a well-intentioned and friendly person. I just feel I have to straighten this out.