PDA

View Full Version : Chin Na Solo Practice

hulkout
10-29-2009, 10:09 AM
We recently started learning some Chin Na at our school. It's done after our regular Wing Chun class. I really like the joint locks that I'm learning. The only problem is that class is only twice a week. I'd really like to practice these techniques when I'm not in class as well. I don't have anyone who I can train with outside class really. Does anyone have any suggestions for solo Chin Na training? I saw something called the martialarm. It looks good for Wing Chun trapping, but I don't know about joint locks.

Lucas
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
there are those tools used for solo throwing drills, have arms and legs and heads, might be usefull. edit; for torquing lock drills, you'll probably want to re inforce the dummy if you get one, so it wont split over time. duct tape ftw

http://www.jrwrestling.com/images/freestyle_throwing_dummy.gif

hulkout
10-29-2009, 11:01 AM
How much does one of those cost?

Lucas
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
that particular one is around 400-650, depending on where you find it.

thats a high quality dummy though, im sure you can find cheaper ones out there. or even make your own.

or have your gf/wife make it

:eek:

KTS
10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
dont forget you can always practice grip strength at home!

in chen style, even though people think of it is an internal art, there are many supplemental exercises. tools like the taiji ruler, or even the many twisting exercises that use a bundle of long chopsticks, etc will make a huge difference in your chin na ability.

wait a sec, none of the other people practice outside of class???

anyways, i applaude your committment. a lot of my own free time is training.

Oso
10-29-2009, 12:56 PM
hard to joint lock yourself...

but, as KTS said, work on grip strength out of class and you'll get better at the actual gripping.

also work on your hand/wrist/elbow flexibility and you will be able to go with the locks better when applied to you....don't overstretch though, to loose a joint is bad as well.

MightyB
10-29-2009, 01:28 PM
You can also apply an arm triangle on any type of stick. You can practice a rear naked choke on your own leg. Sit down, bring your knee to your chest - apply choke to your thigh.

You can also find an Eagle Claw Sifu and have them show you Ba Ba Gong solo practice.

Oso
10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
You can also apply an arm triangle on any type of stick. You can practice a rear naked choke on your own leg. Sit down, bring your knee to your chest - apply choke to your thigh.

he said 'chin na' not 'jujitsu'

uki
10-29-2009, 03:49 PM
practice forms...

Lucas
10-29-2009, 03:59 PM
practice forms...

uh oh...

ummm ya he means do chin na on your neighbor!

TenTigers
10-29-2009, 05:11 PM
that was a joke, right?

Oso
10-29-2009, 05:37 PM
geez...can't a guy get a straight line here?????

TenTigers
10-29-2009, 05:42 PM
sorry. Ya never know sometimes...

No_Know
10-29-2009, 10:13 PM
This might be along the line of what you could do. But show or tell what Chin-Na to hear how to do those solo if at all.

Block Counters solo by No_Know (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=53006154)

More-so Chin-Na from No_Know (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=41044052)

Might-be Chin-Na relevent by No_Know (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=5511297)

No_Know

Lee Chiang Po
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Chin Na is like japanese jujitsu in that you really need to practice it with another person. You can do falling exercises alone or with someone, but in order to get the right feel for entering into hand techniques for throwing or bar or lock control you need a partner. If you can not practice with another student, offer to teach a friend as you learn it. You can work together and save him some bucks too.

MightyB
11-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Dude - sealing, locking, pressing = Chin Na.

The "arm triangle" is a universal locking technique - just so happens that it's popular in jiu jitsu, but - the first time I saw it applied (think Kimura except standing) was when Grandmaster Lau used it against a knife attack. My spelling was wrong - but the 108 gong is basically a solo chin na drill, but you'll need an Eagle Claw instructor to teach it to you. They also have some sweet developmental (chi kung) exercises for building forearm and finger power.

---
I swear, people on this board wouldn't know real kung fu if it bit them in the arse :p this coming from a very non-traditional hybrid "sport-fuer"...

Oso
11-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Dude - sealing, locking, pressing = Chin Na.

The "arm triangle" is a universal locking technique - just so happens that it's popular in jiu jitsu, but - the first time I saw it applied (think Kimura except standing) was when Grandmaster Lau used it against a knife attack. My spelling was wrong - but the 108 gong is basically a solo chin na drill, but you'll need an Eagle Claw instructor to teach it to you. They also have some sweet developmental (chi kung) exercises for building forearm and finger power.

---
I swear, people on this board wouldn't know real kung fu if it bit them in the arse :p this coming from a very non-traditional hybrid "sport-fuer"...

dude........don't you think i know that???? :)