PDA

View Full Version : Searching locals, Mantis-Ottawa,Canada

buddhamonkrich
08-29-2001, 05:29 PM
Hey people, whassup! I'm curious as to know if anyone of you are or have been students of sifu John Hum of the Canadian Wu-Tang Kung-Fu Club in Ottawa,Canada. Mainly Mantis students.

My wife and I are thinking of trying out a class. My wife has no martial-arts background at all, where as I have jiu-jitsu, karate, and recently wing chun under my belt. I am familiar with the Mantis style through much reading. Now I need a taste of it. Ironicaly, my wife only got interested by discovering with me Segas fighting game 'virtual fighter'.

Anyways, I just want some feedback on sifu Hums teaching and training.

Peace,
RichMan. ;)

nobody
08-29-2001, 07:14 PM
virtual fighter is pretty good. :cool:

Mantisman
09-09-2001, 06:44 AM
Salut , je peut voire que tu vien de quebec donc voici ceci. Il y a une bonne ecole de mantis a quebec plus precisement a beauport si l envis t'y prend vien faire un tours ...

desoler pour la proximiter mais a par a Vancover oublie cela la mante... :p

buddhamonkrich
09-09-2001, 02:51 PM
Merci, mais c'est trop loin pour moi. Etant papa, la chance de voyager pour mon propre plaisir est tres limite.

Merci quand meme.

RichMan

ShaolinDevil
09-09-2001, 06:33 PM
When I was originally looking for a Kung Fu school I considered John Hum, but I couldn't find his school! I figured he must've stopped teaching, as the only references I could find to him (or any Mantis in Ottawa) were at Algonquin College and I'm pretty sure that's all done with.

Either way, I'm happy with the way things turned out, as I really like the school where I train now.

For what it's worth, everything I've read on Sifu Hum points to him being an extremely accomplished and authentic teacher and there would be no reason (in my opinion) not to learn from him.

- ShaolinDevil

Braden
09-09-2001, 10:09 PM
Last I checked, John Hum was still teaching at Carleton and Algonquin, although this was a year ago. I see his website is down now. I don't know him personally, but have heard great things about his mantis and baji. He's definitely the only local source of mantis. If you're interested, you should contact the athletics departments of algonquin or carleton, and they will be able to give you details. Check the respective webpages.

LizMantis
09-10-2001, 05:44 AM
I know him personaly and he is a great source for mantis. I know his e-mail to. Send me a message and I will give it to you.. By the way he still does teach.
little_mantis@hotmail.com

www.kungfuexchange.com (http://www.kungfuexchange.com)

buddhamonkrich
09-10-2001, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the replies people. Keep'em coming.

Peace,
RichMan :)