PDA

View Full Version : Guitars, Motorcycles and Kung Fu Weapons

Yum Cha
10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Carrying on from an off topic idea in the Sport Fighting thread.

"The question was, are weapons simply extensions of the arm/hand/body?"

A point was made that one must wield a weapon uniquely, each with its own individual character and skills, (more or less?) I can let others speak for themselves or rejoin as they see fit.

I made the point that I think weapons are more anonymous. That basic skills get modelled across multiple weapons types, and that anything becomes a weapon.
Personally, I don't get attached to weapons, and I like playing with different ones for the variation.

I don't think they are simply an extension of the body, but core skills are the same in many areas.

If you agree that modelling exists, then the issue becomes how well you train that skill, not how well it applies.

The metaphor applies to Guitars and Motorcycles as well, I reckon.

Some guys get attached their own set-up and find other guitars a bit awkward.
Other guys can jump from guitar to guitar, good or bad, and play with comfort.

Not talking about subjective quality of music or guitar, but simply the ability to adapt and perform at your average level or better.

I used to ride a 750F Supersport, now a VTX1800c Motortrike, some time on a Bavarian Manure Wagon too. I jumped on my friends 1100F variant, and couldn't get it OUT of first gear! Jumped on another friend's fireblade 250 and couldn't get it INTO first gear! LOL

I think the modelling skill is trainable, and its an attitude. Adapt, look for strategic advantage, act.
When you pick up a staff, do you think, this is too heavy, or too skinny, or do you immediately think, "with this weight I could crash most guards..." etc...
Do you get emotionally attached to favorite weapons?

Chinese weapons have a similarity across many groups, and the differences in techniques for special weapons are simply to take advantage of the different elements on that weapon. Foundation skills aside, understanding the unique character of each individual weapon and being able to integrate that character is the key skill.

Fighting with a pencil isn't like fighting with a knife. Fighting with a shovel isn't like fighting with a Kwan Dao. But, of course, we all know, they are.

I will submit, however, training with Wu Shu grade weapons is rather self indulgent.

David Jamieson
10-29-2009, 04:22 PM

poor is the craftsman who blames his tools. :D

Fighting with a pencil isn't like fighting with a knife. Fighting with a shovel isn't like fighting with a Kwan Dao. But, of course, we all know, they are.

a pencil is only like a knife in taht you can slash and punch with it. It's not as strong as a blade in a slash, and to puncture to any depth with it, you must hold it properly. A blade is more forgiving to it's user when used to slash or stab. It is made to do these things and functions correctly. You still need to hold and move it right for efficiency, but bottom line, the weapon dictates it's use. Anyone, can stab anyone else but only a person with attitude (as you say :) ) would venture to stab someone with a pencil if need be. Or even think of it as a possibility in a conflict! :p

Fighting with a shovel is absolutely nothing akin to using a halberd. Too much wind resistance. Kwando is for removing limbs & heads in a single chop. :D

Obsolete though for quite a while now. Boxers were probably the last organized fighting force to actually use them in a mass conflict.

TenTigers
10-29-2009, 04:36 PM
the thing with a weapon, is if it's made properly, it has a balance point, so even if it's heavy, it still is usable. If I pick up a set of butterfly knives that are twice as heavy as my own, I don't feel comfortable, but I can manage them alright.
You would hate my Harley. It's a '73 Shovelhead, ape hangers, and bored out from 74cc to 89cc. It used to have a raked front end,8"over, with a drum front brake (which is like no brake at all) Now it has a stock front end with disc brake, so it stops. Tranny's tight but hard to find neutral.
Guitars? Depends on the set-up/ I play Mostly Les Pauls, but I own a few Strats. I like my action low and I like light guage strings. My Les Paul Custom '57 reissue has a fatter neck, but within moments, I settle right in. However, if I get on a guitar with a higher action and heavy guage strings, I can't express myself the same way. I was playing my friend's G&L and he had heavier strings. He says,"You sound good on the tens." But they're not for me.
Likewise if I can't get a decent sound out of the amp, I'm completely frustrated. I like my sound warm, a bit overdriven, and lots of sustain. I can't stand a brittle, barky sound.
Guns are the same way. I like the way my Sig feels in my hand. I don't like the Berretta-too fat. I checked out a Kimbar .45 and it felt great. Like it was made for me.

David Jamieson
10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
wtf? are we all motorcycle riding, guitar playing kungfu guys?

what's up with those connections? You guys don't paint & draw too do you?

uki
10-29-2009, 04:51 PM
You guys don't paint & draw too do you?i draw mazes and doodle in my book...

TenTigers
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
yeah, I was a commercial artist for awhile-illustration, magazines, books, etc

Yum Cha
10-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Old 73 Shovelhead? Is that an AMF? Man, you must be game. LOL.
89cc? Perhaps 89ci. Not bad for a 'small' twin.

I'm an acoustic player. Still play first guitar I ever bought in 74 or thereabouts. Nothing special, Castella Dreadnaught, sounds good. Used to go light strings, but I strung it with medium strings and it made it a lot easier to play other guitars.

I never took much note of allegedly better or worse guitars. They sound different, there are cheap ones that are total sh1t, for sure, but mostly, they are just different. Played some great guitars too, martins, gibson hummingbird, all the jap makes, ovation. No biggie, happy with my Castella.

Until I played the legendary 'old martin'. A friend in California has this 56 Martin acoustic. All my muso friends raved on about it, blah, blah, blah.... You just get used to it with musicians. It was just a little thing, noticably smaller than the standard dreadnaught, might of even had a shorter neck, something was different. I remember he said it had shims under the frets.

Man, it melted into your hands like a woman. The action was just 'there'. Never mind the sound - loud little bas1ard it was too... Maybe that was it, I don't know, it just played itself. Only time an individual guitar really jumped out and grabbed me in that way. Of course, I shat myself when I found out what it was worth. Kinda like lusting after Miley Cyrus, wrong on to many levels...

And I don't think quality gear is the be all and end all, all those harp players made great stuff with cheep-a$$ mikes and amps....

Yea, graphic design too....

Papa always told me 'bout the "renaissance man"...

David Jamieson
10-29-2009, 06:23 PM
outstanding.

zx600 here
play a strat, a gibson sg and a few acoustics, takimines.
and paint/draw +digital art.

hmmmn. what about gourmet cooking?

lol

SPJ
10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
finding some thing in common or universal (truth) among different things or activities.

the process is called chan or zen. seeking and understanding the truth in everything.

so zen music, zen cycling and zen kung fu.

yes we may also find zen in serving tea or caring for bon sai trees everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LttswFmd8Y

I really do not think much when doing kung fu or cycling.

however, I confide my emotions and thinking in music.

and seeing and being part of nature, such as watching ocean waves, and sensing see breeze brushing my face etc.

:)

SPJ
10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46K0IzErJsA

I am stuck in the 60s most of the time.

SPJ
10-29-2009, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqgPZHznwaY

confiding and cultivating your personalities/feeling among the mountain and water.

expressing them with music.

a general is inspecting his troop and rally them before giving them an order to march and fight.

---

SPJ
10-29-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0RpaAdSBLQ&feature=related

She is good.

the music is about a love affair between liang shan bo and zhu yin tai.

---

:cool:

TenTigers
10-29-2009, 10:41 PM
outstanding.

zx600 here
play a strat, a gibson sg and a few acoustics, takimines.
and paint/draw +digital art.

hmmmn. what about gourmet cooking?

lol

I love cooking Cantonese cuisine, but really shine when I break out the cast iron, and go Cajun.
I make a mean gumbo-anduille sausage, crawfish, file', the works. I "created" (cuz I cook like my Mom, a bit of this, a little of that..) a delicious catfish stuffed with cornbread and crabmeat (didn't have any crawfish), and the next week took that same creation and morphed it into a great corn/catfish chowder-this time I got my hands on some crawdads-yum!
I like home style foods, feel good comfort foods I grew up on, and since I'm Russian/Jew, I make a mean borsht, with braised beef,potatoes,tons of garlic, etc.
I also make my Mom's Flanken-shortribs cooked in a barley soup wit carrots, potatoes, and a dab of horseradish thrown in at serving.
I hunt, and my venison stew would make a vegan want more. Thick, rich, and peppery.

Gung-Fu is an expression of the self, like music, cooking, art, etc. It's our passion inside, being expressed outwardly.

uki
10-30-2009, 02:17 AM
i never took up an insturment because of my hearing problems, although i am sure drums would've been fine, yet growing up with 4 brothers and sisters in a double wide trailer is not the ideal setting for practicing on a drumset... LOL... my brother started playing the guitar when he was 10, now he is 30 - he's got a G&L legacy. as for cooking i can do it all... sardines on pretzels, raw porkrinds with tomato, bread and cheese(gotta love romania), jagerschintzel w/ egg noodles and hunter style gravy, ahi tuna w/ seaweed salad, thai chicken w/ coconut milk/tomatoes/chilies/rice... another great hot snack is to lightly bake sushi rolls(i did it out of curiosity one day).

ah man... now i am hungry.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-30-2009, 05:04 AM
the thing with a weapon, is if it's made properly, it has a balance point, so even if it's heavy, it still is usable. If I pick up a set of butterfly knives that are twice as heavy as my own, I don't feel comfortable, but I can manage them alright.
You would hate my Harley. It's a '73 Shovelhead, ape hangers, and bored out from 74cc to 89cc. It used to have a raked front end,8"over, with a drum front brake (which is like no brake at all) Now it has a stock front end with disc brake, so it stops. Tranny's tight but hard to find neutral.
Guitars? Depends on the set-up/ I play Mostly Les Pauls, but I own a few Strats. I like my action low and I like light guage strings. My Les Paul Custom '57 reissue has a fatter neck, but within moments, I settle right in. However, if I get on a guitar with a higher action and heavy guage strings, I can't express myself the same way. I was playing my friend's G&L and he had heavier strings. He says,"You sound good on the tens." But they're not for me.
Likewise if I can't get a decent sound out of the amp, I'm completely frustrated. I like my sound warm, a bit overdriven, and lots of sustain. I can't stand a brittle, barky sound.
Guns are the same way. I like the way my Sig feels in my hand. I don't like the Berretta-too fat. I checked out a Kimbar .45 and it felt great. Like it was made for me.

Sounds like a nice ride, Ten, even though I pity anyone who owns a "Troublehead":D I have an '03 FXST with 12 inch apes on a 3 inch riser, Vance & Hines Straight Shot pipes, chrome engine kit, and too much chrome bling:D Aside from martial arts, motorcycles are my other great passion in life. Have owned a few other Harleys and a few sport bikes, but love anything with two wheels. Hoping here in the next few years to build a project bike, preferably a bobber with a springer front end and a "cheap" sporty engine, hopefully the 1200cc if I can find one cheap enough. Don't play any instruments but as for weapons, good friend of mine just bought a Glock 19 9mm, and after shooting it, I fell in love. They are on sale right now for 349.99, may have to splurge on myself a bit:p

SPJ
10-30-2009, 06:30 AM
without instruments we may also just sing our emotions, feeling out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7q-b79elzw&feature=video_response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxvnK8VWFhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyCVxPEPx5Y

SPJ
10-30-2009, 06:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G2F6rp8j74&feature=related

he is totally into his own music.

much envy.

are you totally into your kung fu as he is into his music?

Yum Cha
10-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I was originally after a Harley trike, even ready to order one new and get the customisation kit, but the Honda came along. Truth is, I'm much more into vintage. No fuel injection, electronic ignition (maybe), etc. I like those 'essential' machines. Battery, coil, spark. Fuel, carb, spark. valve lash, timing, primary drive and chain tweaks. Oil and plugs replaced. Fini. You always know what's going on. I hate that sh1t where some idiot light comes on and the b1tch throws it in. LOL.

Heard the legend of the lost WWII Military Harleys?

What about Harmonicas? Cross harp?

Can you ad-lib with a weapon as well as with music?

David Jamieson
10-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I was originally after a Harley trike, even ready to order one new and get the customisation kit, but the Honda came along. Truth is, I'm much more into vintage. No fuel injection, electronic ignition (maybe), etc. I like those 'essential' machines. Battery, coil, spark. Fuel, carb, spark. valve lash, timing, primary drive and chain tweaks. Oil and plugs replaced. Fini. You always know what's going on. I hate that sh1t where some idiot light comes on and the b1tch throws it in. LOL.

Heard the legend of the lost WWII Military Harleys?

What about Harmonicas? Cross harp?

Can you ad-lib with a weapon as well as with music?

Yes i dig a blues harp as well!

Had two hd's back when I was younger.

the amf sprint (i know i know) and a shovester (shovel packed into a small frame)
they were a pita but chix dug em. :p
also had a bsa silver star, a norton commando, two trumpet 650 bonny's and a few rice rockets over the years. Used to love the british steel except for the shyte lucas electronics.

could never figure out why english electronics were never properly waterproofed. seemed a bit self defeating considering the conditions in jolly old.

anyway... all this is good to know stuff! I feel validated as a person. better than oprah! lol

Yum Cha
10-30-2009, 02:38 PM
... a bsa silver star, a norton commando, two trumpet 650 bonny's...

mid 60's 650 bonny, one of my dream machines! Commando, too temperamental, like a woman that's just too fine.

Silver star, that's a real oldie. I ride my old boy's 56 BMW250, but that's older than that, eh?.

He has a collection of 50's MV Agusta racing machines, all 175cc. You want to hang them on the walls.

I like a bit more cubic, myself.

Lucas
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
no guitar here, but its funny, ive really been thinking about learning the past year or so. I used to draw/paint heavily, but im more into writing now.

im working on getting my groove on with this:

*drool*

http://www.streetfightersinc.com/images/Gimbel02SV650.jpg

Yum Cha
10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Lucas, looks like a spiderweb with wheels!

Here's a real machine

Lucas
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
lol dayum yo. thats a sweet ride you got there. do you own that bad boy?

that one be a 650 sv

Yum Cha
10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
lol dayum yo. thats a sweet ride you got there. do you own that bad boy?

that one be a 650 sv

That's my old boy's, but I want it.... Works racer, the kind Hailwood and Agustini rode.

Probably does 160k top!

this is mine

Lucas
10-30-2009, 03:47 PM
man that looks like fun !

SPJ
10-30-2009, 06:41 PM
no guitar here, but its funny, ive really been thinking about learning the past year or so. I used to draw/paint heavily, but im more into writing now.

im working on getting my groove on with this:

*drool*

http://www.streetfightersinc.com/images/Gimbel02SV650.jpg

that is a really cool bike.

much envy.

TenTigers
10-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Just lik ethe chopper has taken over, it is easy to se how the streetfighter has influenced the production bikes in crotchrocket land. They are looking more and ore like Streetfighters-and as is expected, streetfighters are becoming more and more filled wih custom parts and aftermarket bolt-on crap.
"Chrome won't get ya home!"

(but it will get ya laid!)

jow yeroc
11-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Wow didnt know there were riders here too. I dont play guit but am contemplating some lessons. I play drums and percussion and also sequencing and production. I also draw; mainly pen, pencil, charcoal, blending markers.
And i ride a Honda CB600f Hornet..naked, baby! Is there a KFM group ride in the future?? :cool:

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm335/jowyeroc/P7120010.jpg

Dragonzbane76
11-01-2009, 12:25 PM
riding is my other passion, love to ride. Some nice bikes above. I got a 05 HD softail springer. nothing more mind soothing than a back country road and no one around on the bike. :)

TenTigers
11-01-2009, 05:35 PM
riding is my other passion, love to ride. Some nice bikes above. I got a 05 HD softail springer. nothing more mind soothing than a back country road and no one around on the bike. :)

yeah, me too. I'm not the guy who loves jamming on the freeway, amidst tractor-trailers, and bad drivers. I like an open road, trees, and frsh air, with my bike purring along-as much as straight shotguns can purr...well, you get the idea.

Yum Cha
11-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Anybody heard of Langlets Leathers, Portland OR?

Yum Cha
11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
yeah, me too. I'm not the guy who loves jamming on the freeway, amidst tractor-trailers, and bad drivers. I like an open road, trees, and frsh air, with my bike purring along-as much as straight shotguns can purr...well, you get the idea.

po-TA-to, po-TA-to..

Dragonzbane76
11-02-2009, 05:30 AM

I hear yeah...

yum cha... nah never heard of it or them?

MC club?

TenTigers
11-02-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.langlitz.com/index.html

sounds like they predate Schott leather jackets.
I have to check out their prices-I am in the market for a new leather jacket.
I also want to buy a Lil Joe's vest-but they are very expensive.

David Jamieson
11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
i always wear a joe rocket armour jacket with kevlar.

http://my.frooition.com/070051/images/152_Speedmaster_5_0_Jacket.jpg

Dragonzbane76
11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Pricey leather? looks like it.

Lokhopkuen
11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Unfinished Mahogany Martin D-15, Johnny Reb Hollow Body Electric, USB Keyboard, Protools Digital Studio.

Draw, Paint, Airbrush, Doodle, 3D in Maya, 3D Studio Max, Bryce.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/07/rabbit-bike1_dokfe_5784.jpg
I wanna motor byke but mother says nay nay:(

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/lokhopkuen/n625963218_2072015_5026.jpg

David Jamieson
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Pricey leather? looks like it.

Not really. Usually under 600 CAD so about 525 usd for their decent ones.
They have some high end ones too, but so does HD fashion. lol

Buy a HD jacket at their shop and you will pay 3x what it is actually worth.

kinda like buying a Cadillac, you really are paying for the name and the badge and aren't getting a significantly better car.

joe rocket jackets are as good as or better than anything HD produces for biker clothing.

Dragonzbane76
11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Anything HD is pricey.

you know what it stands for right?

Hundred Dollars not harley davidson

Lucas
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Anybody heard of Langlets Leathers, Portland OR?

yep, i live in portland.

sean_stonehart
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM

You're my hero...

Except I don't go for Gibsons. They don't fit my hand right. I've always played one offs... Kramers, BC Rich, Charvel/Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, etc... Better neck selections for me.

Sig is butter in the hand. Doesn't matter the model, the geometry is always on. Kimber is too rigid for my tastes, but the feel is spot on. I prefer my rattlin milspec Colt 1991A1. Little loose out of the box & nail driving at 10 yards. Don't like the Baretta or Glock. Front sight geometry isn't right for me.

jdhowland
11-02-2009, 02:20 PM
wtf? are we all motorcycle riding, guitar playing kungfu guys?

what's up with those connections? You guys don't paint & draw too do you?

Interesting observation. I used to be a commercial artist, too. Prefer fine arts. My ax is a forty year old Les Paul but I pick up an acoustic more often. My wheels are a '95 BMW K75RT with full faring. Guess I'm kinda ueber-Teutonic because my sidearm is a Walther P99 in 10mm configuration.

Maybe the David Carradine hippy/monk image was the wrong icon. Somebody needs to write the screenplay for the hard-rockin' metal-totin' biker/sensitive artist who happens to love gung fu.

jd

David Jamieson
11-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Interesting observation. I used to be a commercial artist, too. Prefer fine arts. My ax is a forty year old Les Paul but I pick up an acoustic more often. My wheels are a '95 BMW K75RT with full faring. Guess I'm kinda ueber-Teutonic because my sidearm is a Walther P99 in 10mm configuration.

Maybe the David Carradine hippy/monk image was the wrong icon. Somebody needs to write the screenplay for the hard-rockin' metal-totin' biker/sensitive artist who happens to love gung fu.

jd

Yeah, that was predator vs alien. :D

pretty green here about that les paul.

Yum Cha
11-02-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.langlitz.com/index.html

sounds like they predate Schott leather jackets.
I have to check out their prices-I am in the market for a new leather jacket.
I also want to buy a Lil Joe's vest-but they are very expensive.

Man, they undersell themselves on the web...

Ross Langlets invented the highwayman jacket. Cutting up old WWII bomber jackets, adding kidney belts, etc, until he came up with the designs for the 'Columbia". He's an icon, like 'Hankey-panky" is to tatoos.

They did the jackets for the SF Police dpt for years through the 60's. Also, most the custom body suits for the local racers.

Pick you basic style, pick your pocket config (including internal pistol pocket - 10 options I think) pick your weight of leather, colour, pads, yea, whatever.
Tell them what wrist you wear your watch on so they can put in the extra 1/2" needed to zip the wrist.

Probably the best handmade leathers you can buy. Says the wait is 1-3 months now, not bad compared to the past.

I went back 10 years later, and they put an extra couple of inches in it for me, just for cosmetic reasons, of course....

And Yes, Jamison, I'm calling you out!

My old-school handmade leather jacket will choke out your fancy kevlar racing gear.....er, ah, if it can catch it...

Yum Cha
11-02-2009, 03:04 PM
yep, i live in portland.

Hows the rose garden park doing these days?

Loved living in Oregon. The road to Mary's Peak was one of the best I ever rode. The coast, up to Bend, great rides.

Motored all of 1, 101 and I 5 from Seattle to San Bernadino, and then some!

Lucas
11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
During the right season, still as beautiful as ever! ~ rose garden

Aside from the little quirks that can irk some people, I truly believe this place is a well hidden jewel in plain view.

Oregon in itself is awesome. The ocean, rain forests, desert, mountains, etc. Oregon has it all here.

Its funny when Ive gone to other parts of the country, people think we are farmers here. lol

STAY AWAY FROM MY TOWN!

:mad:

Portland, providing you have a job, is probably one of the easiest places in the USA to live.

Yum Cha
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
During the right season, still as beautiful as ever! ~ rose garden

Aside from the little quirks that can irk some people, I truly believe this place is a well hidden jewel in plain view.

Oregon in itself is awesome. The ocean, rain forests, desert, mountains, etc. Oregon has it all here.

Its funny when Ive gone to other parts of the country, people think we are farmers here. lol

STAY AWAY FROM MY TOWN!

:mad:

Portland, providing you have a job, is probably one of the easiest places in the USA to live.

I was mostly in Blu-jean and Corn Valley. Uncle in Lincoln City owned Mossy Creek Pottery, a local roadside attraction.... Right next to the Glass Blower.

TenTigers
11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
not a great pic. I'll take some more. The only way I know how to post them is by putting it up from my facebook page. (there's got to be a better way.)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4526891&id=595720481

jdhowland
11-08-2009, 07:52 PM

I agree with you there. All of the Pacific Northwest up through B.C. is amazing.

PC 101 was my favorite motorcycle alley in the '70s. The only bad thing was having to dodge all the dead coyotes taken out by truckers.

My main drag now is the Seward Highway which has some of the most awesome vistas I've ever seen. Of course, it means dodging very lively and unpredictable moose and caribou.

But no need for envy, Lucas. You have real trees!

jd

TenTigers
11-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I received the catalogue and price list from Langlitz-they START at over eight hundred bucks!
I had a nice first gear, but it got stolen. I may buy a Schott.
Scroll up for pics of my bike, btw.

David Jamieson
11-09-2009, 08:53 AM
not a great pic. I'll take some more. The only way I know how to post them is by putting it up from my facebook page. (there's got to be a better way.)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4526891&id=595720481

nice sled!

old school.

jow yeroc
11-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Nice, TT..

Lucas
11-09-2009, 03:43 PM
What am i the only person that does not have facebook?

TenTigers
11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
facebook is very cool. I've connected with friends from High School and re-established friendships from years ago, as well as making new friends.
It becomes like a conference call, or party line, where you can have these conversations with several people at once, and there is private messeges, as well as instant messeging as well. You can put up pics, and videos, and share. You can also stalk and cause suicides! Very cool.
It is more addicting than these forums.

TenTigers
11-09-2009, 04:03 PM
nice sled!

old school.
did you expect anything less from a Hung-Ga dinosaur like me?
Like I'd ever ride a Buell....ok, maybe a Buell

David Jamieson
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
facebook is like crack.

except that you find friends instead of losing them.

David Jamieson
11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
did you expect anything less from a Hung-Ga dinosaur like me?
Like I'd ever ride a Buell....ok, maybe a Buell

Well, Erik Buell did work for harley and had a big hand in the FXR series of bikes (notable for rubber engine mounts that made hd a lot easier on the roids. :p)

Otherwise, cept for the apehangers, i'd ride that in a second.

pull backs or drag bars are my preference. :D

TenTigers
11-09-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4526891&id=595720481[/url]

just point and click

Yum Cha
11-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I received the catalogue and price list from Langlitz-they START at over eight hundred bucks!
I had a nice first gear, but it got stolen. I may buy a Schott.
Scroll up for pics of my bike, btw.

Mine cost me I think 6 something in 79. I heard the Pocket Columbia with the belt loops and belt, not the padded one, was over a grand. They say they are the best ones made...anywhere... Absolute custom, and anything you want, they'll add.

How much is a nice commercial leather jacket stateside these days?

Nothing beats the $5 flight jacket I got at a Fleamarket in Amsterdam...funny thing, it shurnk so much over the years...

TenTigers
11-09-2009, 08:04 PM
starts at 484. Basic. Good quality naked cowhide, zip out pile liner. I used to have one of these and I loved it. It was a bit big on me so I was able to throw a thick sweater underneath and be warm as toast.
I'll be picking one up this winter.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lifestyle/motorcycle/classic-racer-leather-motorcycle-jacket.htm
if you go on their site they have a forum and people are selling jackets that they either bought the wrong size, or whatever.

Lucas
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
We have to be signed up on facebook to see those pictures.

Anyway I know you are all secretly facebook espionage ninjas sent to try and trick me into signing up....

I'm on to you guys. You'll never get me alive !!!

thats basically the leather that i have but mines an old beat up 'used to be black is now hide colored' jacket. softer than a 18 year old strippers ass too!

David Jamieson
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
that stripper with the soft ass is not 18 dude.

turn the lights on.

18 yr old strippers have remarkably rigid buttocks.

oh, the skin is smooth, but the gluts are like high tension cable man!

I hope my wife doesn't read this... lol :p

Lucas
11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
well i was going to say 'smooth as a baby's ass' but i didnt want you pervs thinking I go around touching baby's asses.....cuz i dont. ;)

unless you count 18 year old strippers as babies...... :D

p.s. what issue had rza on the cover, i cant find it!

sanjuro_ronin
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
http://msp204.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/ice04princess17/sexy/guitar.jpg

http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0805/skin-tight-leather-bodysuit-sexy-motorcycle-leather-black-demotivational-poster-1209733036.jpg

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/ultraviolet_1.jpg

David Jamieson
11-10-2009, 01:55 PM
wow that 52 mapletop les paul is to die for!

Lucas
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
wow that 52 mapletop les paul is to die for!

lol you would!

TenTigers
11-16-2009, 09:12 AM
that's the thing about guitars and bikes. 30 years later, you have a beautiful piece of art, that feels good in your hands, and responds to your touch, and warms your heart.
Not so with wiminz.:eek::D

TenTigers
11-16-2009, 09:13 AM
-although with all three, you can always upgrade with aftermarket parts!;)

Lucas
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
restore the originals!!

Yum Cha
11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Sanjuro very aptly illustrates the interests of the renaissance man:

Art & musical dexterity
Extreme sport
Weapons application and marital arts

TenTigers
10-09-2010, 07:01 PM
sweeeeet.
gotta lose those funky signal lights on the handlebars-maybe get a set of mirrors that have them built in..? nice seat/ I'm looking for a saddleman with the gel....

TenTigers
10-09-2010, 07:06 PM
hmmm. can't link it, but if you go on my facebook page..(yeah, here we go again..)
go to videos, there's a clip of me road testing my si-dai's tele.

TenTigers
10-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Went serching but only found http://www.facebook.com/TenTigers

I don't think that is yours:confused:
yeah, ya gotta look under Rik Kellerman

IronWeasel
10-10-2010, 09:45 AM
that's the thing about guitars and bikes. 30 years later, you have a beautiful piece of art, that feels good in your hands, and responds to your touch, and warms your heart.
Not so with wiminz.:eek::D

You need an old bike...and a young woman.

The yin and the yang.:)

David Jamieson
03-21-2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMZiPtGt2LU

is nice.
slightly stock looking for me, i would rat it up a bit. :p

Iron_Eagle_76
05-12-2011, 06:39 AM
It seems that many posters here share very similiar hobbies. Besides obviously Kung Fu, last year many members posted pics of their motorcycles, which I would like to see again if anyone wants to share. Also, recently I have taken up the guitar, I am a total noob but have always wanted to learn to play. Anyway, ever wonder what the correlation is to these three things, because it seems many on here share these three interests.

Also, here is a pic of my bike, would like to see other member's rides on here if anyone wants to share.

Sardinkahnikov
05-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Nice machine. The best part about it is that its multifunctional: vehicle and lady-magnet :)

TenTigers
05-12-2011, 08:40 AM
dunno how to post pics, so you need to check out my facebook page. btw- there's a shot of me with my 57 reissue Les Paul Custom somewhere in there as well.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=595720481

Lucas
05-12-2011, 08:47 AM
deja vu...

Iron_Eagle_76
05-12-2011, 09:00 AM
dunno how to post pics, so you need to check out my facebook page. btw- there's a shot of me with my 57 reissue Les Paul Custom somewhere in there as well.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=595720481

TT, the easiest way is to save the pic from Facebook onto the hard drive of your computer, than post it here as an attachment. I will check out your pics on FB.

JAZA
05-12-2011, 09:17 AM
I've changed bikes for Bimmers(BMW).

My guitar is a ESP F100, special for hard rock and metal.

Lucas
check this thread out !!!

DEJA VU!!!! (http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55616&highlight=guitars)

Hardwork108
It seems that many posters here share very similiar hobbies.

Yes, hobbies like MMA and kick boxing.:D

Besides obviously Kung Fu,

You are joking, right?:eek:

last year many members posted pics of their motorcycles, which I would like to see again if anyone wants to share.
What did you expect them to post, pictures of their kwoons? LOL

Also, recently I have taken up the guitar, I am a total noob but have always wanted to learn to play. Anyway, ever wonder what the correlation is to these three things, because it seems many on here share these three interests.

Well, in Old China it was really common for Traditional Kung Fu masters to be rock guitarists and belong to bike gangs. There were also those who would race giant trucks.

You forgot about the giant trucks, didn't you?

Also, here is a pic of my bike, would like to see other member's rides on here if anyone wants to share.

Boy, you would love the pictures of my "rides"....:D

HW108

PS. Check out Carlos Santana's music from the the 1970s, 1980s, 1990's and his more recent stuff. He "says" more, playing two notes, then most guitarists do with a 100.

That is real guitar kung fu. ;)

Iron_Eagle_76
05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
You know HW, how about adding something instead of just coming here sh**ting up a thread because you have a hard on for all us "MMA'ists" on this forum. Care to post a pic of your guitar, motorcycle, or your uber awesome Wing Chun training.:D Seriously, man, come up with some better jibberish, your sh**t gets old quick!

Lucas
05-12-2011, 09:26 AM
You know HW, how about adding something instead of just coming here sh**ting up a thread because you have a hard on for all us "MMA'ists" on this forum. Care to post a pic of your guitar, motorcycle, or your uber awesome Wing Chun training.:D Seriously, man, come up with some better jibberish, your sh**t gets old quick!

did you look at my link?

Iron_Eagle_76
05-12-2011, 09:29 AM
did you look at my link?

I did, Lucas, and it was an awesome thread. Was hoping to see if any new people wanted to add to it. Might see if Gene or one of the mods wants to combine these.

Lucas
05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
oh cool. there are some groovy pictures in that thread, i linked it only because i know some of the people that posted in that thread are not currently posting here.

sanjuro_ronin
05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Well, in Old China it was really common for Traditional Kung Fu masters to be rock guitarists and belong to bike gangs. There were also those who would race giant trucks.

Not too far from the truth in context with the times,
They belonged to gangs ( Triads), many were musicians and many loved the races not to mention drugs like opium.
I know of at least 2 Sifu's who's VERY prestigious lineage would make some guys salivate, that have some very questionable hobbies, to put it nicely.
One of them has a thing for Harley's too.

Lucas
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
dont forget badass tattoos

Hardwork108
05-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Not too far from the truth in context with the times,
They belonged to gangs ( Triads), many were musicians and many loved the races not to mention drugs like opium.
I know of at least 2 Sifu's who's VERY prestigious lineage would make some guys salivate, that have some very questionable hobbies, to put it nicely.
One of them has a thing for Harley's too.
You missed the "spirit" of my post.:D

Hardwork108
05-12-2011, 09:52 AM

Hey, I did recommend you some great guitar music.;)

Iron_Eagle_76
05-12-2011, 10:16 AM
You missed the "spirit" of my post.:D

Unfortunately you are not quite as "witty" as you think you are.;)

Hardwork108
05-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Unfortunately you are not quite as "witty" as you think you are.;)

You mean, I am even more witty?:eek:

Thank you, you made my day.:p

Dragonzbane76
05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
my ride.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227243_209454922421116_100000698289751_650808_4758 069_n.jpg

Dragonzbane76
05-12-2011, 11:45 AM
and my new puppy. :p

Great Dane. 6 1/2 weeks old.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/221632_185004168213550_100001119052195_468396_3721 454_n.jpg

Lucas
05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
aaawwwwwww...whats his/her name? man if u dont have a woman take that little guy to the park quick for your garanteed hook up!

Hardwork108
05-12-2011, 12:12 PM
My ride:

http://www.ohchicas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/fotos-ana-lucia-dominguez-revista-soho-oh-chicas-01.jpg

Sihing73
05-12-2011, 12:17 PM
My ride:

http://www.ohchicas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/fotos-ana-lucia-dominguez-revista-soho-oh-chicas-01.jpg

I don't know HW I think this is more likely your ride :D

Hardwork108
05-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't know HW I think this is more likely your ride :D

I eat those for lunch, in the form of tastily marinated charcoal grilled kebabs...:D

Dragonzbane76
05-12-2011, 01:52 PM
aaawwwwwww...whats his/her name? man if u dont have a woman take that little guy to the park quick for your garanteed hook up!

His names Barron. And my wife is the one who picked him out, so don't have much leverage for going to the park and picking up women with him. :D

Lucas
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM
His names Barron. And my wife is the one who picked him out, so don't have much leverage for going to the park and picking up women with him. :D

haha, well that does put a kink in picking up women with the little guy.. its a good looking dog though. when hes big enough you can use him as a grappling partner lol. danes are awesome

Dragonzbane76
05-12-2011, 02:02 PM
yeah his father was about 175 lbs. :)

brothernumber9
02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I get the impression there are a lot of musicians on the boards, particularly guitarists. What instrument do some of you guys play, and types/brands of guitars, or even drums, keyboards whatever you own? I have only a few entry level guitars, the most notable are an early 80's Fender Squier II, and a First Act Sheena CE240 SFA. I also have a 1969 Ludwig Blue Oyster 5pc drum set. I am only a novice guitar player, and at best an intermediate drummer (except for lion dance, dragon dance, and kung fu music which I think I am not bad at). What do some of you guys/gals got? And does your training in kung fu effect or affect how you approach playing an instrument?

sanjuro_ronin
02-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Rik (TenTigers) tigerclaws the guitar, blues I think...
I have the musical talent of a mushroom, my wife on the other hand plays a mean classical (spanish) guitar.

ShaolinDan
02-29-2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60525&highlight=guitars

David Jamieson
03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Montrose died yesterday. :(

He had some guitar kung fu.

Yao Sing
03-04-2012, 12:56 PM
My guitar playing only went as far as sitting in with friends when they needed someone to practice with (mostly a couple of drummers I knew). I played mostly Rush and Jethro Tull.

The closest I came to actually performing was a friend showing me his new guitar during a break while playing at a local bar. He turned the amp down and I was facing the back of the platform and didn't know there was a bunch of peeps standing there like I was the intermission entertainment. I turned around and froze like a deer in the headlights. They tried to get me to continue but I bailed out.

TenTigers
03-05-2012, 02:09 PM
my guitar playing is like sex.

I'm at my best when I'm home alone in my bedroom....:(

David Jamieson
03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
my guitar playing is like sex.

I'm at my best when I'm home alone in my bedroom....:(

Mine too! Except, crowded swimming pool filled with supermodels....

hmmn, that doesn't work the same at all. :confused:

Syn7
03-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Carrying on from an off topic idea in the Sport Fighting thread.

"The question was, are weapons simply extensions of the arm/hand/body?"

A point was made that one must wield a weapon uniquely, each with its own individual character and skills, (more or less?) I can let others speak for themselves or rejoin as they see fit.

I made the point that I think weapons are more anonymous. That basic skills get modelled across multiple weapons types, and that anything becomes a weapon.
Personally, I don't get attached to weapons, and I like playing with different ones for the variation.

I don't think they are simply an extension of the body, but core skills are the same in many areas.

If you agree that modelling exists, then the issue becomes how well you train that skill, not how well it applies.

The metaphor applies to Guitars and Motorcycles as well, I reckon.

Not talking about subjective quality of music or guitar, but simply the ability to adapt and perform at your average level or better.

I used to ride a 750F Supersport, now a VTX1800c Motortrike, some time on a Bavarian Manure Wagon too. I jumped on my friends 1100F variant, and couldn't get it OUT of first gear! Jumped on another friend's fireblade 250 and couldn't get it INTO first gear! LOL

I think the modelling skill is trainable, and its an attitude. Adapt, look for strategic advantage, act.
When you pick up a staff, do you think, this is too heavy, or too skinny, or do you immediately think, "with this weight I could crash most guards..." etc...
Do you get emotionally attached to favorite weapons?

Chinese weapons have a similarity across many groups, and the differences in techniques for special weapons are simply to take advantage of the different elements on that weapon. Foundation skills aside, understanding the unique character of each individual weapon and being able to integrate that character is the key skill.

I will submit, however, training with Wu Shu grade weapons is rather self indulgent.

Word....!!!

dcrjradmonish
03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMZiPtGt2LU

I ended up trade my 2011 super glide for a 2012 street glide.

I think I'm going to add more gold and chrome plate to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDEcM5dD18&feature=youtu.be

dcrjradmonish
10-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Did my first toy run today. Not to bad I think in the future I'm going to try to hit them all.

Yum Cha
02-19-2014, 02:34 PM
HondaVTX 1800c Mototrike conversion.

dcrjradmonish
02-19-2014, 05:31 PM
HondaVTX 1800c Mototrike conversion.

If you don't find a place to pull in do you have to push it back or you have a reverse switch? On the super glide I had I almost did a trike convert but chopper like can't think of the brand name now. My next bike will be a bobber or a chop trike most likely.

http://santiagochopper.com/media/Santiago_Chopper_Revised/trikes.htm

Yum Cha
02-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Reverse…<facepalm>
Yea, it has a reverse drive. A starter motor attached to the rear end. Turn on the circuit (and lamp) and hit a button. She bucks virgin and jumps back about the same.
And it drains the battery flat in about 5 or 6 pulses. And they tell me it draws so many amps it could fry the computer any time.
So, Reverse, no, I push it. Prior planning makes all the difference.

came that way….

GoldenBrain
02-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Reverse…<facepalm>

Hahahahaha! I'm picturing something like a self back fist to the forehead.

Cool trike!

David Jamieson
02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
sold my ninja at the end of the '09 season.
:(

but looking to score one of these soon:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/HarleyDavidson_XL_1200N_Sportster_1200_Nightster_2 008.jpg

mildly obsessed...

I blame the '79 HD CR I fell in love with as a teenager.

Dale Dugas
02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Here is my new ride.

Here in Florida, I can ride all year round.

Dale Dugas
02-25-2014, 07:49 AM
No one else likes bikes?

David Jamieson
02-25-2014, 11:38 AM
No one else likes bikes?

Or guitars! lol
I will post one of My SG Menace by Gibson. Or I could do one of those lined up in the rack shots.
yeah... :)

ShaolinDan
02-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Seems like a lot of the old guitar/bike lovers have stopped posting here (for now). :( I'm sure some of them will drop in again some time. I'm not into either, but I always thought this was a fun thread that made good use of the forum space.

Yum Cha
02-27-2014, 03:44 PM
I just wish I had a groovy guitar to add to the pix. Mine is just an old japanese copy of a Hummingbird, paid
$75 for it in 1975. 40 years of abuse and it really needs a bunch of work, but the tone is sweet as….

You stateside folks need to appreciate your access to good seasoned guitars…..I get a musical woody every trip….

brothernumber9
02-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Although I don't own or ride a motorcycle. I have a handful of cheap starter guitars that I have grown fond of. I am a novice player at best, I can't solo worth anything and can primarily rhythm play songs I like. I have a late 80's-early 90's Squier II that I believe was made in India but not positive. I have an Epiphone SG Special II, and two First Act guitars, one a Tele-copy, and the other a Chinese made from the specs of one of their USA shop models from the late 2000's (Sheena SFA edition). I like all of these as they play and sound different and they were cheap enough that I was willing to try and adjust them myself (an ongoing learning process). It reminds me of different techs in KF where the energy can be played differently to get different effect. For example, in Hungfut there is a backfist technique that rolls from an overhand/forearm block/attack. It can be played hard and somewhat static to push as much energy and weight forward to try effect more blunt damage, (I relate this to my Epiphone SG copy which has heavier strings on it and can bear the brunt of hard playing). The backfist can also be played in a snap/spring like fashion to allow a quicker follow up or retreat, with less initial blunt damage. ( I relate this to my Squier strat with light strings, I can apply less pressure and move along the frets faster). What are some others' experiences with cheap or expensive guitars or even motorcycles and their similarity to their experiences in Chinese martial arts?

Dale Dugas
03-01-2014, 08:27 AM
I played bass for a while but not anymore.

Now I break concrete, coconuts, ride my bike and enjoy Sunny Florida......

Yum Cha
03-01-2014, 11:47 PM
I played bass for a while but not anymore.

Now I break concrete, coconuts, ride my bike and enjoy Sunny Florida......

:D these hands don't break nothing but hearts…

David Jamieson
03-03-2014, 09:08 AM
:D these hands don't break nothing but hearts…

...and hymens. what about the hymens? :p

Yum Cha
03-03-2014, 03:47 PM
...and hymens. what about the hymens? :p

I remember that, I think, from my early training….but its been a long time….. Leave the novice exercises to the young ones….
;)

David Jamieson
03-04-2014, 09:14 AM
I remember that, I think, from my early training….but its been a long time….. Leave the novice exercises to the young ones….
;)

lol.

There are a lot of older virgins out there these days.
But I'm married and wouldn't know a thing about it!
:D

dcrjradmonish
03-25-2014, 07:21 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDEcM5dD18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4GBXcN3FLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQWxxNsTeGs

Top Bike 1979 Harley-Davidson Low Rider FXS

2nd From Top 2011 Harley Super Glide FXDC

3rd From Top 2012 Harley Street Glide FHLX

Bottom Bike 2014 Harley Street Glide Special FHLXS

Dale Dugas
03-25-2014, 07:39 AM